Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Warning for Afsaal Picnic Spot KNP
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:54 pm 

As I have said in a previous Topic the thing we have found is to make them aware that you know they are there and what they are up to.
What we find works like a charm now is, as soon as we get there and we see them hanging about, we find a stick, the bigger the better, show it to them :naughty:
and then lay it on the table where they can see it easily.
We also try and keep food covered at all times, so I always take an extra cloth or paper towel, anything, as long as the food is no longer visible, definitely helps.
And to date we haven't had any further problems with them stealing our lunch. :thumbs_up:

I must also add that we didn't see a sign of monkeys or baboons at Afsaal last month and we were there twice, so this is something new.
Lots of the usual birds begging and of course either being fed or eating off plates left behind on the tables.
Easy to either scrape any leftovers into the bin or simply take the plates back to the kitchen!

Post subject: Re: Warning for Afsaal Picnic Spot KNP
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 am 

A few years ago we were at Afsaal. There used to be a wooden hut on the far left of the picnic site....not sure what it was used for but we saw a young hyena go inside and come out with what looked like a pot in his mouth and dissapear into the bush behind the hut. also had a run in with the vervets at nkulu and pafuri picnic spots.
I have concidered carring my kettie with me at the picnic spots but dont want to get into trouble.
It is sad that we humans will "feed" the animals calling it cute but then complain when they raid our food. I heard of an incident at Tsokwane where the manager or someone in power actually issued a fine to tourists feeding the vervets :clap: if we all report the "raids" to the powers that be something will or hopefully will be done
Reg

Post subject: Re: Afsaal Picnic Spot
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We stopped at Afsaal at the end of July. Food was good. It is now run by SANParks and is more like Tshokwane. Picnic tables we clean. There were bug repellant candles on the tables and bug catchers in some of the trees. We cooked breakfast there without any hassle from flies.

BTW - there is a new day visitors area for Berg-el-Dal (no longer in the camp). Has anyone stopped there?

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:29 am 

That is good news Cheetahlady :dance:
Well done sanparks :thumbs_up:
and a BIG Thank you for improving Afsaal :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 pm 

Have just returned from a two week trip to Kruger and stopped in at Afsaal twice.
The shop is quite empty with a couple of empty racks.
No curios being sold, other than guidebooks and maybe magnets etc.
The gas bottles were in pretty poor shape as well - R 20 for the hire thereof so R 3 more than at Mooiplaas - both bottles we hired were not working 100% - the first time we stopped we were foolish enough to set up under the trees - there must have been 20 yellow billed hornbills which would literally steal your food from your plate if you looked away!!
The skottel was not removed by any of the parks officials after we ate either which simply encourages these birds to keep hanging around.
Fortunately the second time we took precautions and set up under one of the covered areas and were not affected by the birds at all.
Also, this time one of the staff members took the skottel for cleaning after we were done.
Regarding flies, I did not really notice any - the incense burner that we did see was full of 'stompies' so no good there.
Please note that they are also currently renovating the bathrooms...

Also popped in to Tshokwane and Nkuhlu and can confirm both were in good working condition.
MUCH better than Afsaal. It's such a pity cos where else do you go in the South for breakfast?
Next time we will use the new Pretoriuskop picnic area - nice and clean and quiet!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:11 pm 

Hi Stoffel,

Just as Sanparks has privatised the restaurants at the camps they have taken back management of the "Tea Stops". Afsaal, sadly, in my opinion is shocking compared to a year ago when it was extremely well. I found the place dirty/untidy, half the menu not available, shop limited, food poorish and staff unfortunately very unfriendly and unhelpful unfortunately.

I would strongly recommend the trip back to Berg en Dal or why not Pretoriuskop? They should have the bush kitchen running which are great :thumbs_up:

NEXT TRIP:

June/July 2014
-Pretoriuskop
-Skukuza
-Orpen
-Skukuza
-KPL
-Biyamiti
-Berg en Dal

Post subject: Wagon at Afsaal
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:43 am 

Hi - please can you let us know what happened to the ox wagon at Afsaal..........????thank you kindly

Post subject: Re: Wagon at Afsaal
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:24 pm 

Your query has been forwarded to SANParks PR. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Wagon at Afsaal
Unread postPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sorry, got confused. :hmz:

here we are

I do love history and all that it stands for.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We visited Afsaal about a week ago, found it clean and had a lovely breakfast there,great value for money, we had bacon, eggs, fried tomato and toast for only R25, staff were very friendly and helpful

The shop there is a bit of a let down, only very basic things like cold drinks available, looks very dark and dingy inside :doh: :doh:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Yes yoda it is a pity about the shop, used to have lots of interesting things in it, now almost nothing :cry:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Please don't get me wrong but I thought a picnic was a trip or excursion to the country, seaside, etc, on which people bring food to be eaten in the open air. Not to go shopping.

However when we are in the Park we only use the ablutions at these places as we prefer to cook our breakfasts on skottles at the less frequented lookout spots without shops attached.

Just my little opinion

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Jaaaaa Sparrow :lol: , it's just that tourists are always looking for curios and the shop used to have some nice ones

I don't need fancy things in the shop, but I don't see why it should look so dark and very unwelcoming with almost nothing in it :doh: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A few years ago Afsaal had a vibrant bush type of atmosphere, whilst complimenting the Kruger environment. A person felt a sense of excitement when stopping there but in a subtle, good way as Afsaal, including the shop, was part of the Kruger experience. Afsaal now has very little “Kruger” or any atmosphere. It is now just a place to go for a desperate human break before it is too late.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:43 pm 

This really is sad news. Afsaal was always one of my favourite stops.

They often stocked items that the other shops didn't have and I always stocked up on their biltong and dry wors to take home for the family. Their take away food was also always tasty too.

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next