Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Afsaal Picnic Spot
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:48 pm 

We have visited Afsaal many many times over the years, we have never encountered any problems and in fact it is one of our favourite stops after driving on the Voortrekker Road. Admittedly it does get busy sometimes but I think they cope very well. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We once counted 14 OSV's there and a tour bus and they coped very well!!!! Hooray for Afsaal!! Mama Faru

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:42 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Always stop there during my trips
In november it was packed but still friendly employees.

Personaly never had any problems and been at Afsaal at least 10 times the past few years

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 am 

Hi All

I unfortunately have to agree to some of the comments regarding unacceptable behaviour from the Manager at Afsaal. During a visit last year we were shocked when he had a "performance discussion" with one of his staff members (a young girl) at a table right in front of the entrance to the shop. It was done in such a way that everyone around could hear him really giving this girl a piece of his mind. Totally unacceptable!

He also was very rude towards some visitors looking at the little owl close to our table - and at that point I could not see them doing anything wrong?

Despite these unfortunate incidents, Afsaal is still a great place to have a leg-stretch or something to eat :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

An official apology has been issued to the American guest involved in this "incident". I am totally confident in the knowledge, that Sanparks have taken the matter up in a serious light and I am told, that due process regarding disciplinary action will happen. Thanks to James for his succinct and immediate grasp of the severity of the "incident". Insofar as I am concerned the matter is now closed and whilst I may well have to utilise the toilet facilities at Afsaal I WILL boycott the shop and the takeaway/on site restaurant as a marked stance in my disgust at what transpired. Thank you Sanparks for taking the time to listen and respond so quickly to our e mails!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:13 am 

Regarding bad behaviour may I also say that there is also no excuse for Rude arrogant bad tempered tourists
mouthing off at the poor people who have to serve them. I have seen this countless times and may I say that the staff at Afsaal coped quite well.
Afsaal becomes very busy and I think is too small to handle the number of people that go there.
It is so easy for all of us to complain and yes I agree we have to be aware of correct behaviour when serving the public.
If we boycott Afsaal will this mean it will close down? Just a thought would it not be better to speak to the Manager face to face. Perhaps Sanparks could look at how best to handle this in a helpful manner. I am thinking of the people who work there and who rely on their small wages.
I often don't stop there either not because of surly behaviour but because it caanot handle the amount of people so this is a challenge to me too.
For me perhaps a kind word and encouragement when I am there makes a difference to a person, its small
and also what about a suggestion box?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Nicolette, you have brought up some very good points.

I seldom boycott for bad management. It is the staff that tends to suffer. I will stay away if I believe that the food is poor or substandard.

I don't envy the staff at many places. Too often I have witessed rudeness from customers, disrespectful management and this creates a toxic mix.

A reason why I grew to enjoy Tshokwane when David was there, was simply that he worked hard, was quality conscious and seemed to have a very respectful relationship with his staff.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:00 am 

I have never had a problem at Afsaal, even during really busy times,perhaps the staff have not had the time to linger and fuss with customers, but never really rude...
BUT I have witnessed customers being extremely arrogant to the staff, and often its us South Africans :redface:
So I agree If we boycott any place in Kruger we may loose it due to it having to close down....
Perhaps give the management another chance to prove themselves

Post subject: Afsaal a little lacking~~~
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm 

We have just returned from a few days in the Park and am wondering what has happened to Afsaal over the past few months?!

Afsaal a little bit of a disappointment as the curio shop, now under new management, seemed only able to provide crisps(chips) and limited old stock. It had none of the huge variety the previous owners used to display - which I know used to be very popular with the overseas visitors.

I am hoping that the new owners will improve their stock range as it really a great loss of income and as I stated up front a huge disappointment to what it had once been. :roll:

It was most likely also the first time on visiting there that the parking area was almost empty.

Post subject: Re: Afsaal a little lacking~~~
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My understanding on reading the notice they had posted. Was that while they transfer to Sanparks only limited stock would be available. I think they are also going to refurbish the store at the same time. So as with all things Africa we have to be patient.

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:45 pm 

Sure it will be back to normal very soon.
At least the food is still good, we had a very good breakfast there a week or so ago. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:34 am 

As busy as Afsaal can be it is one of my favourites as its normally the 1st place we stop after enetering the park at Malelane.

Was there any sign of my name sake - the little Scops owl ???

I promised the SO with much confidence and bravado that we would see a Scops on our last trip (knowing either here or Satara was a definite). Between a cold, windy night at Satara, an impossible to locate Scops in Tambotie and the Afsaal Scops going missing - I ended up empty-handed and red-faced.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:18 am 

The Scops wasn't there when we were there 2 weeks ago.
Several people were peering up his favourite tree to no avail.
Then one of the cleaners said that he had not been seen there for a while now.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:39 pm 

Unfortunately I have to agree with you Lorrie. We were there a few weeks back and although it has always been one of the best managed places in Kruger, I did find it wanting during the last visit.

We ordered pancakes and unfortunately after a too long wait, I cancelled the order. I went back into the store with the aim to rather buy biltong, but only found garage biltong on offer.

I really hope they can turn this around soon, as it has always been a favourite stop over for us.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:22 pm 

I am with Lorrie and Bundi on this one.

Afsaal was our favourite spot in the Kruger by far and all of good management. The new management is in charge from 1st of May and we were there the 14 June and it was still empty and with almost nothing worth buying. We decided rather to go to skukuza's shop to buy snacks. We also did not visit Afsaal again but will pop in December to see if anything had happened.

I hope it will be again a fraction of what it was but what I have seen I am afraid it is not going to happen.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:47 pm 

Spending our last 3 days (from 39) at B-e-D we thought of driving to Afsaal for breakfast. This was on 27 May! To our astonishment the shop was closed, you could get NOTHING to eat, the employees were hanging around and only after reading the notice on the door from the shop we got to know that it was closed. As from 1 of May Sanpark took over?!? The toilet facilities were - just forget about it, because there was no running water!!! People used the toilet without being able to flash water!!! You could not even wash your hands!!! It is very sad to experience this and many other things!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next