Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Afsaal a little lacking~~~
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is a pity to read this as Afsaal is in a prime spot for doing excellent business and thereby support many people in desperate need for a job. When we were there the previous time it was properly managed with plenty of quality goods in the little shop that people bought and the environment was pleasant. I do not think that stocking the little shop with and then trying to sell a few packets of Simba chips will benefit anyone as Afsaal could be so much more.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My sister and I stopped in at Afsaal on our first amazing morning on our first trip to Kruger in 2008. We were simply amazed, I got to see the Scops, we could see an elephant off in the distance and a mongoose close up. But what was the best, that late morning, was the ice cold beer that was poured for us from tap. We enjoyed Afsaal immensely, then went on a little further to find a leopard.

Sorry to see this experience cannot be shared with our friends in September when we return.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 am 

Chickadee wrote:
Sorry to see this experience cannot be shared with our friends in September when we return.
I am sure you will be able to still enjoy Afsaal then Chickadee, not the beer, but they serve a great Kuduwors roll, pap and Sheba plus other good food and who knows the Scops may even be back by then.
Hopefully the shop will also be fully stocked again as well.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:46 am 

Hi,

When we were in the Kruger in April we decided to go to Afsaal for breakfast and we were a bit disappointed with the shop too. It had hardly anything in it. We were wondering what was going on.

Everytime we go to Afsaal when we are in the Kruger we have problems with flies and have to keep on chasing them off our food.

Samantha

28-31 March - Orpen

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:32 pm 

This was also one of our favourite stops from Malelane caravanning. The food was good and the then manager was a very pleasant person with excellent hands on management. We even complimented him in person with the service that we experienced. It will be a great pity if this stopover has gone to waste. Unfortunately I cannot recall his name. I am sure SanParks will do something to better the situation. Will definitely report back after our trip in July.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:43 pm 

From what I have heard is that the previous owner's contract hasn't been renewed, and that Afsaal is under new management. By the sound of things, Afsaal will never be the same again :( That man (oom Japie) sure did know how to run Afsaal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree that Afsaal is not the same as a few months ago since Japie left. We ordered our favourite Fools Venison sandwiches 2 weeks ago. Although the recipy is obviously the same, there were more bones in my sandwich than meat, and you get the feeling that people do not want to assisst. The toilets - :shock: :(

We will however go there in September 2013 to visit the picnic area and hopefully the tables will be cleaned by then.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:38 pm 

My SO and I stopped at Afsaal on Friday, 21/06/2013.

We had waffles and ice cream and they were nice and tasty.

Just after we got our food I noticed the kitchen counter was closing. It was only 14h30. I thought that was early for a tourist outlet.

When we stopped at Tshokwane on the way to Letaba, they said they closed the kitchen at 15h00.

Why the difference in closing times? We almost missed our snack and we would have been disappointed to find it closed.

I didn't check the stock in the shop when I was paying for coffee but they seemed to be fairly well-stocked.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:27 pm 

We were at Afsaal on Sunday morning for breakfast, and it was good value for money. Somebody was even busy cleaning the basins. The staff were even looking for somebody who lost their Blackberry cellphone. Thus, I was really not disappointed at Afsaal. Luckily I wasn't looking for any curios, because that has been removed.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Maybe people stop at the shop and don't go around the corner to the kitchen service area, I found the food and the service very good when we were there in May :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:14 pm 

We were there last month aand also noted the shop...had a quick chat and yes its under new management and probably will never be restocked as we knew it previously. :( :(

We also asked about the Scops as that is always what we want to see first, apparently he has been gone for the past year. So unless a new one appears we wont see him again. I seem to remember them saying he had been resident for the past 10 odd years so thats good going.

The picnic sight was amazing i must say. The menus awesome and the breakfast menu was very reasonable for what u get. We had a scottle breakfast and also bought kudu rolls for lunch the same. they were amazing.

So yes still ana mazing spot but unfortunately ameneties lacking and not sure theyll be back ........

Post subject: Re: Warning for Afsaal Picnic Spot KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:31 pm 
Guru
Guru

741022 wrote:
Warning - Afsaal
We were at Afsaal yesterday 7 July 2013 making brunch and I was shocked to see how the baboons dominate the picnic spot. I witness two attacks of the dominate (big) male attacking tourist with food in their hands - grabbing the food and running away. It was scary to see the aggression the baboon use to get the food he wants. If there is anyone that can do anything about this please do so because someone is going to get hurt. Then I am not even going to mention the vivet monkeys stealing food of the tables. Surely we are in the bush and I realize it is us humans creating this chaos by feeding the animals but I don't think it is worth it by being attacked by a baboon. Please take care when visiting Afsaal.

Hi! 741022

Thanks for letting us know about this problem. I will forward your concern to the section ranger for his immediate attention.

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:52 am 

We were at Afsaal in April and we didn't see any baboons, all we saw were hornbills and starlings. This must be a new thing.

28-31 March - Orpen

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:16 am 

There's probably not an abundance of food in the veld for the baboons, being mid-winter, hence the raids on the picnic sites where humans are soft targets. They're hungry and the food is there for the taking. It's a pity, because now they'll have to be removed by force.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
:hmz: Sounds like the real 'Afsaal' leopard should be tempted again.

A few years ago he raced into the picnic area, took some bacon off a skottel and dashed away.

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: I Bet the peeps that the bacon belonged too where in a bit of shock after that :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next