Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:49 am 

Amazing pics by Linda.Was here on 09/08/07.Lovely drive & no traffic so if u do see something chances are u will have a great view.Did see impala & elephant at Bangu drinking from trough.Just past bangu saw lots of wildebeest,zebra,steenbok & a lone hyaena.Arguably the big tuskers i saw in park was on the S90(3males).

Further down S90/S41 2 cheetah spotted.Cheetah regularly sighted on this stretch !

Ultimately its what was written for u you will see.

Great drive,worth a try....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Across Bangu is a large tree where the resident leopard lies on the large branch on the right hand frequently. Best spotted with bino's though.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:37 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Interesting Christo

Post subject: Bangu
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Have walked to the north of Bangu water hole a number of times along the Bangu spruit . The soil has a lot of clay and attracts large amounts of game at times . In the area we heard strange sounds and eventually found 2 white rhino in a dry river bed engaging in a dispute , which we were able to watch for a while . Another time on trail we surprised a lactating lioness in a river bed , luckily the cubs were not present .
The Bangu spruit runs in a north easterly direction into the Olifants . It cuts through the Lebombo mountains in a spectacularly beautifull gorge , which the renowned conservator and wilderness trail pioneer , Dr Ian Player , described as one of the two most beautifull wilderness areas he had ever visited and I agree with him , as I was exceptionally fortunate enough to be on a wilderness trail walk from the top of the Lebombo down through the gorge to the confluence with the Olifants .
I was more exceptionally fortunate to walk there as I understand this is not a regularly walked route and is avoided due to the steep inclines and the narrowness of the gorge which makes evasion of dangerous game difficult .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: Bangu
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:10 pm 

ndloti wrote:
Have walked to the north of Bangu water hole a number of times along the Bangu spruit . The soil has a lot of clay and attracts large amounts of game at times .
The Bangu spruit runs in a north easterly direction into the Olifants . It cuts through the Lebombo mountains in a spectacularly beautifull gorge , which the renowned conservator and wilderness trail pioneer , Dr Ian Player , described as one of the two most beautifull wilderness areas he had ever visited and I agree with him , as I was exceptionally fortunate enough to be on a wilderness trail walk from the top of the Lebombo down through the gorge to the confluence with the Olifants .
I was more exceptionally fortunate to walk there as I understand this is not a regularly walked route and is avoided due to the steep inclines and the narrowness of the gorge which makes evasion of dangerous game difficult .

Ja Ndloti I have done that area many times as well. The normal Olifants Trail doesnt normally go there as you state but if you "Choose" your trails ranger properly and allow him to bring his wife and newborn baby to stay in base camp as an example of what we did once then our reward was Gorge/Lebombo slopes (Lots of Nyala and Crested Guinea Fowl and lions taken by surprise) and a walk from Balule under the Olifants camp (when they didnt have morning walks from camp) all the way back to Trail Camp. His Wife dropped us off at Balule...Saw 3 x Pels and a pair of White Backed Night Herons. I dont want to mention the Trails rangers name because he is a current section ranger in Kruger. Bangu with Klopperfontein are my 2 favorite waterholes

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:14 pm 

hi guys,

Was at Bangu yesterday following a drive from Olifants. Managed to see 5 bull ellies drinking from the reservoir. Lions were seen about a 1km further south but unfortunately never managed to see them. Nice drive & not much traffic.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:56 pm 

Hey!

Saw a very large tusker there last year December chasing 2 male lions from the trough area :D ... unfortuntaely have no pics.

About the Rhino's in the area, have seen Rhino twice at this waterhole (both times in late afternoon). The area immediately south of Bangu is generally good for rhino we find, Refer to thread "Hotspots for game-viewing"... 5km stretch from Bangu heading South has been a magic area for animals for us!

Hope i've helped a tad!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks! Confirming my thoughts! :dance:

Post subject: Re: Bangu waterhole (On the S90 below Balule)
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
To us Bangu waterhole has a lot of Kruger atmosphere and :( we have not been to Bangu recently. The posts here confirm what I’ve always expected - that this "animal drinking and loitering spot" is indeed very special. We have usually seen general game there especially in the dry late winter period -August. Could someone who is lucky to be there or someone who recently had been lucky perhaps update us on the Bangu conditions this year during the late Kruger winter period :great: ?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:42 pm 

Will be there in early October! :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I've read in trip reports of cheetah sightings around Bangu :D :D :D
I would love to book in at balule and drive down the s90 early morning :pray:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:01 am 

We at balule for 2 nights in October . Is this waterhole still a special place to go. Anyone been there recently

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In line with Kruger's strategy of closing artificial waterholes the water hole at Bangu is closed, so Unless its the rainy months when the spruit is running game activity might be a bit low, it is still one of the most beautiful places in Kruger to watch the sunrise over the Lebombo mountains.

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:04 pm 

Will go watch the sun rise. Sure Kruger will surprise us yet again . Bit sad about the water hole

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013