Skip to Content

Balule Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: Balule activities

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:59 am

Yes, the activities are offered from Balule, they pick you up and drop off there. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Balule question

Unread postby roaneric » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi everyone :D

I'm so excited. We will be staying in Balule for the very first time end of April.

I have a question that I hope you can answers for me. I read that you can check in at any camp but preferably at Satara or Olifants.

We will be traveling from Pretoria (via Phalaborwa gate) to Balule. We will need to do some quick shopping before entering. We want to experience AS MUCH as we can of Balule as it will be only one night there....so we were wondering. Is It possible to check in at Letaba in stead of Olifants? We will be driving past letaba and can go strait to Balule from there. Olifants (with the bridge closed) will take at least an hour more if we have to go check in there?

What do you advise? We will be leaving PTA at 6:00 and I hope to be in Balule at 16:00 the latest. Is this a realistic plan? We will be taking the highway to polokwane, and then via Tzannen - phalaborwa to Balule. (is there a shorter route maybe?)

Hope you can help us. It is unfortionally not possible to add one more day. This is already a day that we added because we did not think we will make it to our next stop - shingwedzi in one day from PTA.
Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule question

Unread postby Hugh » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:19 pm

We have just spent 4 nights there ... lovely even though it was 45C
You can easily drive to Letaba then drive the short trip up to Olifants book in and then take the river road ( saw quite a bit of game there) the bridge might even be completed by April as they were ever so busy with it while we were there . just had to put concrete over a small portion at the Balule end. so you might be lucky
Are you in Huts or camping We were in hut number 6 which is closest to the river If the road is not complete the lower road was choc full of game include lion
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule Satellite Camp

Unread postby Hugh » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Just been there and was in no 6 Temp was 45C but we still had a great time Low level bridge is being worked on and lots of activity only the South end now has to be completed they were busy with the stones on the sides and concreting . Just the concrete for the end of the bridge Titus says he hopes it wont take more than three months. Olifants was flowing strongly
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:46 am

Over Dec 2014, we stayed in hut number 6, right on the fence, it was more than amazing, on our last night a breeding herd of ellies were grazing along the fence, they were so close that we could smell them and see every detail of them, my hubby always says that this was our best ever elephant sighting ever :D :D
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:14 am

I will not add any other advice to that that has been given already.

But be assured, you will want to come back to Balule again and again. It is just such a wonderful camp, by far one of our most favorite camps in Kruger. :mrgreen: The camp definitely gives one the feeling of what Kruger used to be many years ago.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby roaneric » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks so much for the advise everyone

Now I just CAN'T wait. :dance: :dance: :dance: We will check in at Olifants and then drive strait to Balule. Keep your thumbs crossed that the bridge will be open by the 28th of April. :pray:

Lepardfan wrote: But be assured, you will want to come back to Balule again and again.

That's why I want to be there as early as possible and leave as late as possible the next morning so that we can experience everything Balule has to offer us.
Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:28 pm

Yo must must enjoy every moment of Balule. :dance:

Please spare a thought for us who are caught up in city life. :tongue:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:42 am

Chip wrote:leervis, when are you going to be at Balule. It looks like May from your post. We will be there from 8 May, leaving 11 May. Hope to see you there.

Only arriving at Balule on the 23rd. after 4 nights at Punda. Enjoy your trip!
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

9 - 12 November Punda Camping
13 November Letaba Safari Tent
14 - 17 Balule Camping

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Fri May 15, 2015 8:23 am

Another reason for visiting Balule, as if we need another, they never have loadshedding at Balule!
26 - 29 August Balule
2 - 5 September Tsendze

14 - 17 Balule Camping

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Just had another 4 nights at this wonderful camp. So pleased that we will be back soon. Titus is amazing keeping all in ship shape. Having the bridge open is also great. Got to be my fav. camp so far.
26 - 29 August Balule
2 - 5 September Tsendze

14 - 17 Balule Camping

NatureLover12

Balule satelite camp :)

Unread postby NatureLover12 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:21 pm

Hey everyone :o we are visiting Balule camp in the Kruger in October and I have never been to that camp so I am very excited :D :dance: I would like to know how is the game viewing in that area and aswell how the campis beacause I heard there is no electricity there! So I would just like to know what to expect :think: We are sleeping in one of the huts there! Really excited :tongue:

DinkyBird

Re: Balule satelite camp :)

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi NL12 - have a read here and here. Please ask any questions you might have. We have only camped at Balule, it is a gem of a camp, but I am sure those who have stayed in the bungalows will assist with info.
Sawubona
Dalene

Philip1
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:56 pm

NatureLover12 wrote:Hey everyone :o we are visiting Balule camp in the Kruger in October and I have never been to that camp so I am very excited :D :dance: I would like to know how is the game viewing in that area and aswell how the campis beacause I heard there is no electricity there! So I would just like to know what to expect :think: We are sleeping in one of the huts there! Really excited :tongue:

NatureLover12, well, if you love nature, you are going to the right place. :mrgreen:
Game viewing anywhere, is "at that moment". (I think). The roads S89, S90, S91and S92 were enjoyable to us and we saw a variety of game (Lions etc.), plus kills. :)

Every night the staff will lite a lantern for you. There are communal kitchens, Deep freezers and boiling water for tea or coffee etc. all the time plus Braai area in front of your "hut".

You will not be sorry. :)

We used to sit and watch Hyena and other game patrolling the fence. :thumbs_up:
Staff...Magic. :whistle:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

NatureLover12

Unread postby NatureLover12 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Okay thank you guys!! That will be helpfull Phillip especially the roads! :P Thank you!!! :D

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”