Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Letaba Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:16 am 

Rookie2009 wrote:
Is it better to write a mail or should i try to call the rezeption directly??
If you are happy to call from so far away, you can do that, otherwise, send a fax or mail the camp directly about 2 weeks before your visit.
Good luck, hope you get the bungalow of your choice and have a wonderful trip. :D

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Re: Letaba
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I've stayed in 32 for 3 nights in December last year. Although it is close to the restaurant it feels quite secluded as it is right at the end away from the road that the cars use. The restaurant is also out of view from the front of the hut if I remember correctly. One has a fairly decent view of the river from 32 and 33 - the other huts are behind bushes. Wasn't once aware of noise from the restaurant - some chatting from walkers while we were outside braaiing is all (and this only for about 20 minutes after gates closing time - thereafter it's too dark and the walkers seems to have gone away). Granted we only spent evenings and nights in the hut, days were out driving from gates opening to gates closing time, so it may be more noisy during the day... Huts 32 and 33 is also closest to the ablutions (if that's a consideration).

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Letaba
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:10 pm 

Hi Herman

We often stay in those huts when visiting Letaba, and prefer hut no.33. It is a bit further away from the restaurant, has a nice view, shady parking etc. There is a problem with parking next to Hut 36 because 4 vehicles uses the same little entry road and the parking for this particular unit is just about in everybodies way.

Hope this helps..>ENJOY

Post subject: Re: Best roads around letaba in winter
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
We have spent some great hours at the Mntambeni (called Engelhard by ch2111) hide. Seen leopard on the approach road. Hippos & crocs perform while eles & buffs often cross the river.

Post subject: Re: Best roads around letaba in winter
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mntambeni Hide is a must visit, last visit had a pair of fish eagles flying repeatedly within metres of the hide. A steenbok directly next to the walkway that was more than happy to be observed with you behind the fence. their coats are very impressive up close.

Otherwise everyone else has mentioned great roads, especially those along the river at that time of year will be more productive.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:12 am 

Hi all,

FYI, I had the pleasure of being a guest of letaba the 11th of june and I was also able to book bungalow #30.
As with most things in life there was good and bad happenings, but at least the good outweighed the bad! The fact that #30 is right at the end ensures that other guests going for a walk, do not pass in front of you and that makes it more private. It is also the closest unit to the fence, which makes surveying the river possible from your verandah. The unit has not yet been upgraded but is still very neat!
As far as gameviewing goes, the felines escaped us, but the hyenas and the other 3 of the 5 more than made up for it! We also saw a pair of klipspringer, which was very special to me.
On arrival at the bungalow, I was concerned when I saw that this wonderfully located bungalow, is located RIGHT next to the water purifying plant, and expected a smelly situation, but not even a wiff :dance: Yippee!!!
There was also some building rubble right in the corner of the fence, (seems it was used as filling) and was quite ruining the view. It is also located near the staff housing, and on this night they where supporting a soccer game like only South Africans can, vuvuzelas an all, this is not a sound assosiated or recorded on "The sounds of the bushveld", but hey, when in africa.... When we went on the night drive it continued, whereafter we complained, then it stopped!!!!

After all the happenings, good and bad, I only have one complaint... that we could not stay longer!!!

VIVA KNP!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:26 pm 

See on the map here - map - on the right, is the guest house, and there is nothing between it and the river. I have stayed there, and it is really lovely.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had FQ6 number 109. Ingwe House.

Apart from the occasional walker on their way to the river / footpath past the cottage, it is magnificent. Easily the best value in the Park, with two big bedrooms and a massive central kitchen / lounge / dining area.

From our stoep we had hot and cold running francolins, squirrels, the camp bushbuck (eating out of my kids' hands, naughty naughty), water monitor, barbets, a dusky flycatcher, loeries and large game across the river. From the bench on the footpath, lots of stuff to see between the camp fence and the near bank of the river.

We had an almighty storm on Monday afternoon which left the car looking golf-ballish from the hail, and our patio covered in debris. Still better than the campers, who had broken tents and gazebos, wet linen and all-round misery. Between the two parts of the storm I still managed to do an epic T-bone steak braai.

In honour of our luxurious accommodations, we saw ingwe on our way out of Phalaborwa on Wednesday, a mafgnificent sighting.

Letaba truly is an epic camp.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello RonelR

A warm welcome to the forum Image

We haven't stayed in the tents before, but walked passed them a few times a day. It looks great and I will definitely stay in one of them sometime. You can find some photos of the tents HERE
Enjoy your stay :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg
We've stayed in the safari tents quite a few times ( in both the 2 bed and 4 bed versions) The new 4 bed ones that they built near the pool is really nice. The ones closest to the pool was a little noisy at times especially when it was really hot but the people didn't stay in the pool to late. The staff at Letaba are always friendly and the ablutions very clean. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay there!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:16 am 

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what number units the BG3U are as I cannot see them on the map.

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:42 am 

I wish they would put the type of bungalow on the maps, not just the numbers, makes it a bit confusing.
Kirsty, if those are the ones with a communal kitchen then I think they are the group either directly to the left or right of the restaurant, looking at the map.
The U indicates its a perimeter unit anyway so should be great.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:48 am 

Hi

Can anyone tell me if unit 64(BD3U) is a good unit to stay in? Ive booked this unit for first week in January and just wondered if there would be too much pedestrian traffic and also if there are any trees obstructing the view of the river?

I love any unit in Letaba, but just am curious.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:40 pm 

hennieg, that bungalow is a great one, its at the end of the row, so not much passing foot traffic.
I requested it on our last trip but it had already been allocated and we were given # 63 which is also nice.
There are some trees but they don't in any way detract from the great view.
Enjoy!

These are some pics of sunset taken from in front of #63

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hi hennieg

A warm welcome to the forum Image

We also stayed in number 63 a few times and it is great. Try to get number 63 or 64. The traffic in front of the bungalow is not to bad, because the path is not too close to the veranda. You can find some pictures on the ACCOMMODATION THREAD here

Enjoy your stay and we would love to hear all about it on your return.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next