Skip to Content

Letaba Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Die Groot Krokodil

Re: Letaba Rest Camp

Unread postby Die Groot Krokodil » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi Ollie,

I was at Letaba in early January and can confirm that the day visitors facility does have skottel braai's.

Just a suggestion, the parking area at the new day visitors facility doesn't have any shade so if it's a really hot day your car is bound to turn into a sauna by the time breakfast is done. What I would advise is to rather park in camp under the trees infront of the shop and walk across the wooden path that links the camp and the day visitors facility!

DGK

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:44 pm

I did a morning walk with Saskia. We walked on the north side of Engelhard dam. Found lots of fresh buffalo tracks, but no buffalo close. Watched hippos while we had a snack (provided - juice, biscuits, cheese, biltong).

Take sunhat, sunglasses, sunscreen, binos and camera, a stick is useful for balance when climbing over logs etc, or down and up gulleys. Extra juice/water useful too. Depending on time of year a light rain jacket.

Time of departure varies, but usually much the same as the sunrise drive, or just before - the aim is to get to starting point when it is light enough to be safe walking.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Cymraes

Unread postby Cymraes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Can anyone advise on which of the BD3U bungalows in Letaba would be the best to request? We'll be there during March

alf

Unread postby alf » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:15 pm

No 30 in block C is by far the best BD3U with the best view.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Cymraes

Unread postby Cymraes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks - I'll try for number 30. I guess 29 is also a good one.
Failing this which of numbers 39 - 64 in D block would you recommend? I wonder whether the view of the end ones is obstructed by the Melville Guest House or the BD2VZ units at the other end.

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DotDan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:27 am

64 is the best. Stayed in it last year....Let me see if I have a pic for you :hmz:

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DotDan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:31 am

Here you go

As you can see the Guest house is to the left and completely out of the way.

This is the view from Unit 64

alf

Unread postby alf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:44 am

Yes no 29 isn't that bad but it's behind no 30 and your view is limited. If you look at block d i would suggest no 62-64. They are closer to the river and got a nice view. The only bad thing about them is that a walking path goes past them down to the fence and if the camp is busy then you will have a lot of people walking past your bungalow.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Letaba bush braai

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Anyone done a bush braai? Anyone done it from Letaba. It is quite pricey (for locals). What do you get for your money? Help please.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Letaba bush braai

Unread postby ndloti » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:07 pm

I went on one in 1999 , if I remember correctly there was a good spread of braaied items as well as a salad or 2 , the location was excellent , it included a short game drive in a Sanparks open safari vehicle to and from the location at the then largest recorded leadwood tree on the northern bank of the Letaba river .
To me it was well worth the money to participate , although it felt a bit short , but I desperately wanted to escape the growing Letaba population in early December after having walked on 5 successive wilderness trails and 4 days at Balule .
(who sent me another horn?)
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

maddie2312

Re: Letaba bush braai

Unread postby maddie2312 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi BB,

We did a bush braii at Letaba last May. There was my SO and one other couple from Jersey who went. Short sunset drive and food same as above. Salad/soup as starter and pudding.They had a bar (table) where you could buy pre/during and after dinner drinks (beer,wine liquors) and just pay at the end. Nice spot in a wooded clearing. Fire/food all ready for us when we arrived. Good experience especially if you are bringing first time guests. Had tried to book at reception and were told not doing it anymore. When we got speaking to restaurant manager who asked if we were enjoing our stay, we mentioned our disappointment about not getting the braii and he said it was no problem for the next night! So be persistant if you have to. (sure that won't be a problem BB :whistle: )

Enjoy!
Desperate for my next Kruger fix!!!

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:49 pm

We stayed in Chalet # 29 which is a 3 sleeper and is perfectedly positioned, with a great view of the river, in fact we got to see Hlanganini from the fence in front of our unit. :D
Only problem is that its a bit well worn now and definitely could do with a bit of maintenance. :?
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

mikath

Letaba

Unread postby mikath » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 pm

I have booked a Bungalow at Letaba BG3U and looking at the photo's it doesn't look as there is any outside space to sit in. Does anybody know if this is the case
Thanks

HelenJ

Re: Letaba

Unread postby HelenJ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:51 pm

It looks as though it has an "enclosed" verandah, with mesh screens to keep out insects (and monkeys?) and let the air in.
We've booked something similar-looking at Skukuza. Hope it's not too stuffy :pray:
KNP August 2009

20th Skukuza
21st Oliphants
22nd Satara
23rd Skukuza

Not long now! Hope it's as good as Sept 05

JulianP

Re: Letaba

Unread postby JulianP » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:36 pm

We had 2 rondavels last year at Letaba. There is an inner meshed area with the kitchen area outside of the bedroom/bathroom area.
Outside the door in a smallish concreted area to sit by the braai or acres of grass depending upon the mossies. We were lucky to be there just before the rains broke.

Julian
Letaba 2 & 3 Nov 09, Oliphants 4 Nov

Looking forward to seeing some yellow ribbons this year

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”