Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Comments Please
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:13 am 

I live in Hazyview and have been blessed with having innumerable birds in my garden - but this morning I saw something I have never seen.

There were two Emerald Spotted Wood Doves eating - but one had a completely white breast - the white colour going right up to the bottom of the beak

I don't know if this is a young bird or if it is some form of genetic throwback.

I attempted to take a photo - but these birds are so skittish that as soon as it saw me the two birds flew away.

Does any one have any comments.

Post subject: Re: Comments Please
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Sounds more like a Tambourine Dove to me, Kicker Cat.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
And to add to what you mentioned about it being so skittish. My personal experience is that Emerald-spotted Wood-Doves are far more confiding than the Tambourine Dove, who is an exceptional skittish bird. By just looking at my photo records of the two, you will see what I mean. :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:20 am 

Hi and thanks for all the feedback - It was a strange sighting - as we have Emerald Spotted doves in the area and I have often seen them - but in this case there was only 1 with the white markings - looking in Roberts I would concur that it was a Tambourine Dove.

Would it be common for this dove to be in the same area - right next to each other - the other was definitely not a Tambourine.

I have found Emerald Spotted dove to be very skittish - it happens to be one of my favourite birds but they always seem to fly away when I get into a position to get a good photo.

I will still see if I can get a shot of this bird because where it eats is only about three metres away from the window - should make a good pic

Thanks for all the input.

Regards