It is special to be a birder 'mite

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

barryels
FAC Member (2013)

It is special to be a birder 'mite

Unread postby barryels » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:12 pm

Dear All,

With nearly the first month of 2015 gone, I wish to thank every birder (expert or not) on the forums for your participation during 2014 :clap: .

Due to your participation on the birding forums, it became one of the most informative forums where we can learn, participate and study birds without having to pay for anything :D .

It is my wish for 2015 that many more ‘mites will participate in the Bird ID Challenges and encounter the wonderful world of birds that is around us when visiting our wonderful SANParks.

Hilda and I only became aware of this wonderful environment three years ago when we started to participate in the challenges and for the first three months could only manage to ID 3 or 4 birds out of 10 birds per challenge. By keep on trying we have learned so much about birds from our wonderful challenge masters that spend many hours to set up these challenges.

It is such a special feeling these days to be able to drive in a park and also be able to enjoy the wonderful birdlife that we did not pay attention to in the past :roll: .

The best of all is that we can learn about birds and how to ID them without having to be stressed by attending a course before we can participate :D .

I must warn newbie’s that this environment is like visiting the red dunes of Kgalagadi for the first time and you just have to go back time and time again.

I really hope that everybody will enjoy 2015 on the forums and that we will break the current score of 24 entries for a challenge.

I also wish to remind readers that we have the best environment to request the ID-ing of birds that you are uncertain of and one of the most comprehensive bird indexes on the forums which can be used as guide.

Last but not least, thank you to every challenge master and bird enthusiast who made it possible for us to enjoy one of best birding environments available :thumbs_up: .

As an after thought I have added a link to Birding in Southern Africa where all the topics can be found as discussed above :thumbs_up: .
Last edited by barryels on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding a link
Always be humble and understanding

Philip1
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Re: It is special to be a birder 'mite

Unread postby Philip1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:48 pm

barryels wrote:Last but not least, thank you to every challenge master and bird enthusiast who made it possible for us to enjoy one of best birding environments available :thumbs_up: .

Ditto Barryels... :thumbs_up:
I'm not a "Birder", but I truly believe that we all can learn more from each other. (...and become Birders.) :D After all, it is all part of Nature. :wink:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

umtali1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ...2015 trip to SanParks completed

Unread postby umtali1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:08 pm

:thumbs_up: Barryels. My sentiments also.

Since becoming more bird aware, our photos are so much more varied in subject.

Our trips to Sanparks have been enriched and we're so looking forward to what we hope to see during our forthcoming visits to new parks. :dance: :dance:

Thank you both for your encouragement on the bird forums. :gflower: and to your learned colleagues who know a thing or two about birds :gflower:
umtali1

2013 Mokala and KNP http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
"A One Night Stand" current
"Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP TR's being prepared

Goronta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Goronta » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:46 pm

Agree with you.It's so different when you start looking at birds in the parks. :thumbs_up:
I was introduced to birds life when in Pafuri with a guide and since then even if I'm still a beginner and make a lot of errors in ID :redface: , S.O and I stop for any bird we spot during our drives. :dance: :dance:
You can see a lot of birds pictures in my TT :D
Carpe diem

2015:
Namibia july 21th-22th,
Kgalagadi july 23th-August 3rd,
K.K july 23th-24th,
Urikaruus july 25th-26th,
Nossob july 27th- 28th
Grootkolk july 29th-30th -31st
Mata Mata august 1st - 2nd
Namibia august 3rd - 19th

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Hope to see you all, and many more 'mites, on the Bird ID Challenges during 2015! :dance: :dance:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”