Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: How many bird species would constitute a 'good haul'?
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:48 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm getting so excited about my forthcoming trip to Kruger and this time want to spend a bit more time spotting and identifying birds in addition to my usual game viewing.

As a youngster I remember the thrill of spotting as many species of birds in our suburban Johannesburg garden as I could (36 species before we moved).

So I was wondering, what would you all consider a 'good haul' in terms of number of species spotted and identified over a 9 day period of general game and bird viewing?

Also, what would you consider to be the bird equivalent of the Big 5 and/or sightings worth high-fiving over?

Looking forward to hearing all of your insights.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffgordon on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How many bird species would constitute a 'good haul'?
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
In birding terms there is a Big Six: Lappet-Faced Vulture, Martial Eagle, Saddle-Billed Stork, Kori Bustard, Ground Hornbill and Pel's Fishing Owl. On an extended trip like yours, getting all but the Pel's Fishing Owl is very likely. For the owl you will have to make special arrangements like getting to talk to some rangers at Lower Sabie and Skukuza to hear if they know of the whereabouts of a Pel's. If you had planned some time to Olifants Camp, a river walk booked at the Camp is one of the surest ways of seeing one. All I can say is good luck on finding it!

In terms of a "good haul"... it all depends on the season in which you will be visiting, you seriously you will be birding and also the level of proficiency... A well-skilled birder on a serious birding trip in that area can produce in excess of 200 species over a nine day period in winter, while a summer trip can produce up to 300 species.

If you are a newby at birding and have to spend considerable time in your guide books to make an ID, 100 can be a stiff challenge.

Post subject: Re: How many bird species would constitute a 'good haul'?
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:49 am 

Wow, Johan, thank you for the terrific reply. You answered everything I wanted to know and more. Thank you. I will report back when I return and let you all know how well I did.

Jeff