Skip to Content

Birding school for ducklings.

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
User avatar
barryels
Moderator
Moderator
FAC Member (2013)
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Pretoria, SA

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby barryels » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:32 am

New week with a new challenge :dance: :dance: .

Although there is still time till 17:00 today, 17 August to send in entries for challenge 28, here is challenge no. 29 of 2015 to keep the early birds busy.

We are going to the small birdies this week that are mostly mud nest builders.

Enjoy :D .

1.

Image

2.

Image

3.

Image

4.

Image

5.

Image

6.

Image

7.

Image

8.

Image
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015

User avatar
hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)
Posts: 15727
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:39 am
Location: Pretoria SA

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby hilda » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:12 am

Doesn't look too difficult for all these clever Ducklings SO! I'll post a challenge for a change after we came back from Marakele, in other words, on 1 August 2015! :thumbs_up:

Enjoy Ducklings! Hope there will be 15 or more contestants! :dance: :dance:
VHR Fundraiser: Potjiekos Competition: Far Schools Project
20 - 22 October 2015 - Satara
23 - 26 October 2015 - Biyamiti
27 - 29 October 2015 - Talamati
Return back home on 30 October 2015.

User avatar
barryels
Moderator
Moderator
FAC Member (2013)
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Pretoria, SA

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby barryels » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:50 pm

My apologies for not submitting the results of challenge 28 of 2015, but this is what old age does when you extend the due date :tongue: .

We had 9 participants and a new record for the Duckling Challenges with everybody getting 100%
Congratulations to all :clap: :D .

Here are the results:

1. African Black Duck

Image

2. Comb Duck

Image

3. Fulvous Duck

Image

4. Moccoa Duck

Image

5. White-backed Duck

Image

6. White-faced Ducks

Image

7. Black-necked Grebe

Image

8. Little Grebe

Image
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015

User avatar
Waterwatcher
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Watermill Suffolk UK

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby Waterwatcher » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Our next trip to KNP is coming up fast so I've been browsing for tips and came across this forum. It's great fun but I've spent my time sighing with exasperation as I know I know the bird but can't for the life of me remember its name :doh: I have just got the Kruger Bird app on my iPad & it looks good. Has anyone else tried it out. I am assuming it works offline because no wifi in the Park
Kruger National Park 2015
Lower Sabi; Skukuza; Satara; Mopani; Letaba 9-26 September :imsmilin:

User avatar
inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:57 pm
Location: nr Cambridge, UK

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby inyanga 1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Waterwatcher wrote:Our next trip to KNP is coming up fast so I've been browsing for tips and came across this forum. It's great fun but I've spent my time sighing with exasperation as I know I know the bird but can't for the life of me remember its name :doh: I have just got the Kruger Bird app on my iPad & it looks good. Has anyone else tried it out. I am assuming it works offline because no wifi in the Park


It depends on which 'Kruger Bird App' you are referring to. We use the Roberts Multimedia one and it works offline for up to a month (when it checks the license is valid)

Just turn off the wifi on your iPad and check it.

We always take pics and identify unknown ones back at the chalet whilst the isinkwe is cooking.
Launch page for 2015 Cape to Namibia trip reports ..
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=85498
WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

User avatar
Waterwatcher
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Watermill Suffolk UK

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby Waterwatcher » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:14 pm

inyanga 1 wrote:
Waterwatcher wrote:Our next trip to KNP is coming up fast so I've been browsing for tips and came across this forum. It's great fun but I've spent my time sighing with exasperation as I know I know the bird but can't for the life of me remember its name :doh: I have just got the Kruger Bird app on my iPad & it looks good. Has anyone else tried it out. I am assuming it works offline because no wifi in the Park


It depends on which 'Kruger Bird App' you are referring to. We use the Roberts Multimedia one and it works offline for up to a month (when it checks the license is valid)

Just turn off the wifi on your iPad and check it.

We always take pics and identify unknown ones back at the chalet whilst the isinkwe is cooking.

It's Sasol eBirds of the Kruger National Park do you know of it? We have eBirds of Southern Africa for anywhere else south of the Zambezi.
Kruger National Park 2015
Lower Sabi; Skukuza; Satara; Mopani; Letaba 9-26 September :imsmilin:

User avatar
Waterwatcher
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Watermill Suffolk UK

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby Waterwatcher » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:24 pm

Waterwatcher wrote:
inyanga 1 wrote:
Waterwatcher wrote:Our next trip to KNP is coming up fast so I've been browsing for tips and came across this forum. It's great fun but I've spent my time sighing with exasperation as I know I know the bird but can't for the life of me remember its name :doh: I have just got the Kruger Bird app on my iPad & it looks good. Has anyone else tried it out. I am assuming it works offline because no wifi in the Park


It depends on which 'Kruger Bird App' you are referring to. We use the Roberts Multimedia one and it works offline for up to a month (when it checks the license is valid)

Just turn off the wifi on your iPad and check it.

We always take pics and identify unknown ones back at the chalet whilst the isinkwe is cooking.

It's Sasol eBirds of the Kruger National Park do you know of it? We have eBirds of Southern Africa for anywhere else south of the Zambezi.

I've searched further in Forums and found the crit on Sasal ebirds in another forum. Thanks for replying & if you have more to add - excellent.
Kruger National Park 2015
Lower Sabi; Skukuza; Satara; Mopani; Letaba 9-26 September :imsmilin:

User avatar
inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:57 pm
Location: nr Cambridge, UK

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby inyanga 1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi
as i said just Just turn off the wifi on your iPad and check it still works...
:P
Launch page for 2015 Cape to Namibia trip reports ..
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=85498
WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

User avatar
barryels
Moderator
Moderator
FAC Member (2013)
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Pretoria, SA

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby barryels » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:00 am

Hi All,

Here is challenge 30 of 2015.

Enjoy it while Hilda and I will try and get some good pictures at Marakele during this weeks visit :D .

1.

Image

2.

Image

3.

Image

4.

Image

5.

Image

6.

Image

7.

Image

8.

Image
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015

User avatar
barryels
Moderator
Moderator
FAC Member (2013)
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Pretoria, SA

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby barryels » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Here are the results of challenge no. 29 of 2015.

We had 6 participants and everybody did amazing :D .

3 had full marks and 3 had only one wrong :thumbs_up: .


1. Brown-throated Martin

Image

2. Sand Martin

Image

3. Lesser Striped Swallow

Image

4. White-throated Swallow

Image

5. Wire-tailed Swallow

Image

6. Pearl-breasted Swallow

Image

7. Horus Swift

Image

8. Little Swift

Image
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015

User avatar
hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)
Posts: 15727
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:39 am
Location: Pretoria SA

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby hilda » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:56 am

Good morning Ducklings! :D

Here is Duckling Challenge no. 31, as promised. I have added two easy questions, which make the score count out of 10:

No. 1

Image

No. 2

Image

No. 3

Image

No. 4

Image

When do they hunt for food?

No. 5

Image

No. 6

Image

No. 7

Image

Apart from small insects, what else do they eat?

No. 8

Image

Image

(Same bird, different variations! Only one answer needed.)

Answers will be posted on Monday morning, 7 September 2015 at 08:00. :thumbs_up:

Enjoy! :D
VHR Fundraiser: Potjiekos Competition: Far Schools Project
20 - 22 October 2015 - Satara
23 - 26 October 2015 - Biyamiti
27 - 29 October 2015 - Talamati
Return back home on 30 October 2015.

User avatar
barryels
Moderator
Moderator
FAC Member (2013)
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Pretoria, SA

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby barryels » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:30 am

Here are the results of challenge 30 of 2015.

We only had 3 entries for this week :hmz: .

I really hope that Hilda’s challenge will have much more entries.

1. African Snipe

Image

2. Red Throated Wryneck

Image

3. Rudd’s Apalis

Image

4. Pied Avocet

Image

5. Kurrichane Buttonquail

Image

6. Green-backed Camaroptera

Image

7. Allen’s Gallinule

Image

8. Dusky Indigobird

Image
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015

User avatar
Karin Mitton
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1120
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Jhb

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:13 am

I tried about 4 times yesterday to send you my answers, but every time got a server time out message. It was strange as I was able to see posts, but not send the message :(

My entry would not have made a difference ito the total number of entries.

But I am happy to see that I would have had 7/8 for this challenge! :dance:


Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”