Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106
 Post subject: Re: Birding school for ducklings.
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ducklings
Here are the answers to 1424
I'm way behind :wall: :wall: :wall:

1) A Greter Kestrell Overall pale rufous colour with fine black streaks, spots and bars, upright stance with longish yellow legs and pale cream eyes diagnostic
2) A Booted Eagle The smallest of the 'brown' eagles in the region and occurs in 3 colour morphs; pale (most common in region), rufous (rare), and dark. Pale morphs are dark brown above (inc head, see Wahlberg's Eagle) and with pale creamy buff underparts, variably streaked. Most distinctive feature is the 'landing lights', white patches on the base of the leading edge of the wing near the body (diagnostic in all plumages)
3) A Scaly-feathered finch White tipped black feathers on crown and wings give a 'scaly' appearance. This, together with the black malar stripes and rose pink bill make it unmistakable
4) A Yellow Canary Upperparts variable, grading from yellow in the north-west of the region to olive green and streaked in the south-east, but all birds have bright yellow underparts and an unbroken yellow band across the forehead. Bill heavier than Yellow-fronted canary and facial markings less bold.
5) A Black Crow Glossy black all over with a slender pointed bill. The only all-black crow in region.
6) A Red-capped Lark Rufous crown and breast side patches very distinctive. Short erectile hind crown crest normally held flat; underparts variable but usually white, sometimes with buffy flanks
7) A Cape Shoveler Long black spatulate bill distinctive. Confusion only with the Northern Shoveler, but lacks yellow/orange edges to bill
8 ) An African Stone chat The black head and throat (without white eyebrow), distinguishes it easily from the Whinchat. Rump white.
9) An African Rail Long bright red bill, eyes and legs distinctive

10) A Caspian Tern The largest tern in the region, easily identified by large dagger-like bright red bill, usually with dark tip

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ducklings
Here are the answers to 1425
1) A Reed Cormorant The only small inland cormorant. Br. Plumage glossy black (illustrated); bare yellow-orange skin turns red during courtship. Non-br. Overall paler and browner, eyes not as bright red
2) A Male Buff-streaked Chat
3) A Cape Bunting Key features are the rufous wings, grey belly, white throat and striped face
4)A Coqui Francolin The smallest southern African francolin. M. The head and neck pattern distinctive making identification easy. F. Superficially resembles Shelley's Francolin but is overall paler, has broader white eye stripe and is smaller.
5) A Brown-hooded Kingfisher The only kingfisher in the region with a brownish streaked head and upper breast. Confusion possible with smaller (and whiter) Striped Kingfisher which has a black/red bill. In flight, dark turquoise flight feathers conspicuous; underwing cinnamon
6) A Pair of Groundscraper ThrushesPale grey upperparts, lack of wingbars and preference for open woodland (not forest) habitat easily separates it from Spotted Ground Thrush
7) A Red-knobbed Coot All-black plumage with white bill and frontal shield conspicuous.
8 ) A Three-banded Plover The only plover in the region with a double black breast band.
9) A White-fronted Plover Overall lighter coloured than Kittlitz's Plover, thin black eye-stripe separates it from Kentish and Lesser Sand Plovers in non-br plumages. Browner above than Chestnut-banded Plover that lacks white hind collar. Legs greenish-grey
10) A Female Buff-streaked Chat The striking black face, throat and wings, with buff underparts distinguish it from all other species in the region. F. Orange-buff rump separates it from juv Capped Wheatear

Last edited by Sky on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Booked Next trip to SanParks
Thanks for the answers, Sky :thumbs_up:

9/10 for 1426 :D :D

View our 2013 trip report to Mokala and KNP at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
Next trip "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:02 pm 

As a newbie to birding I may be completely wrong, but would No.3 on 1425 not be a Cape Bunting rather than a Cape Batis? :?

Will try 1426 tomorrow evening. Time for bed :whistle:

Shingwedzi 30th Dec 2014 - 2nd Jan 2015
Letaba 3rd Jan 2015 - 5th Jan 2015
Tamboti 6th Jan - 9th Jan 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tessa G wrote:
As a newbie to birding I may be completely wrong, but would No.3 on 1425 not be a Cape Bunting rather than a Cape Batis? :?

Will try 1426 tomorrow evening. Time for bed :whistle:

your correct My Afrikaans coming to the fore again :wall: :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:23 pm 

Can anyone help me here?

We moved to the UK a few years ago but are now back and with the various moves I have misplaced our 'lifers' book that I bought in KNP. Does anyone know if this little book is still obtainable or if there is a better one that can be bought from a book store?

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 pm 

Tessa G wrote:
Can anyone help me here?

We moved to the UK a few years ago but are now back and with the various moves I have misplaced our 'lifers' book that I bought in KNP. Does anyone know if this little book is still obtainable or if there is a better one that can be bought from a book store?

Thanks

tessa

I take it you're back in SA

can you give any other title or authors for 'lifers' book. or even what image was on the cover...

i'm sure we can help .
t

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:09 pm 

I don't recall exactly, but think it was called Bird Life List, or something like that. It was by Roberts and was green with pictures of birds on the front. Sorry about dim description, but its been 4 years since we used it.

Yes we are back in SA now.

Thanks for the help inyanga 1

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 pm 

Tessa G wrote:
I don't recall exactly, but think it was called Bird Life List, or something like that. It was by Roberts and was green with pictures of birds on the front. Sorry about dim description, but its been 4 years since we used it.

tessa - you lucky people ... :mrgreen:
was it this...
Roberts Bird Guide Kruger National Park
R.
or maybe the sa peeps can help...

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

10/10 without a book 8) It has been a while, so this is awesome.

Guess it helps that I also go to Marievale often and sort of know what is there.

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am 

inyanga 1 wrote:
Tessa G wrote:

tessa - you lucky people ... :mrgreen:
was it this...
Roberts Bird Guide Kruger National Park
R.
or maybe the sa peeps can help...

Thanks Inyanga1, but no this is not it. We have the Newmans Birds of SA which we use as a guide, but the Life List book I am looking for is a little booklet that has a list of all the Southern African birds with a little block next to each bird name and you are able to place a tick in the block once you have correctly identified it. In this way you can keep track of the list of birds you have seen and when you spot a new one, you just tick it off in the booklet. :D Long winded I know, but the best explanation I can give.

Maybe some Sa's can let me know, otherwise I will just check in the camps when we are in KNP in Dec..

Thanks for your effort though. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106