Birding school for ducklings.

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby inyanga 1 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:25 am

Dibles wrote:Andyaxa, I'm a total novice too. I only started last week and so enjoyed it that I couldn't wait to get home yesterday to attempt the new challenge. Hilda's right - you do get hooked!

Scan through the last page or two and you will see very helpful links which will make it much easier for you. If you can't see the bird clearly in the photo then try downloading it and zooming in as some of them are high resolution photos.

Good luck!

yes we were all novices once ....

btw if your using a tablet you can usually use the two finger close to open gesture to zoom into a web page, including the pics. You can also use the control key plus the + key to zoom in. control - zooms back out. control 0 resets the page view to normal. these work on a pc.
Launch page for 2015 Cape to Namibia trip reports ..
WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ...2015 trip to SanParks completed

Unread postby umtali1 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:37 am

Welcome to the Ducklings Andyaxa :gflower:

It is indeed the place where we all started and have had great fun on the way. I think you will soon get hooked. :lol:

My appreciation of the African veld has been enriched since learning a bit more about birds :clap:

2013 Mokala and KNP

"Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP TR's in progress

Unread postby inyanga30 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 am

andyaxa wrote:Hilda sent me a very nice invitation to join the birding school for ducklings challenge, however, I must admit I am not even a duckling ! I fear I am not even an egg. My bird knowledge, even of my home area of New England in the USA, is pathetically lacking. However, I shall continue popping into this thread for all the great photos...and hopefully I might learn a little before our trip next July.

Welcome! :hello:

This will be a great warm up for your trip!

Good Bird books that you can get online: Sasol Birds of Southern Africa, Roberts Bird Guide and Newman's Birds of Southern africa. The Bird Id challenge often has a book as a prize - you only have to enter, not get them all correct. (Thankfully otherwise I'd stand no chance).

On p27 (I think) I put some online references which are great as they are photographs. Easy to flip through too, like thumbing through a book. :D
Don't worry about your score - they do improve over time as you get used to seeing the difference species. Unless its a Little Brown Job (LBJ) - then all bets are off :redface: Some of us ducklings struggle with those. Hilda and Barry ( who post the quiz) will help you out with clues if you need them.

Good luck!
The question is, are we happy to suppose that our grandchildren may never see an elephant except in a picture book?
David Attenborough

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”