Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Birding school for ducklings.

Unread postby hilda » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Dear Ducklings,

Since we have decided to make the closing date and time for challenge #12/2015 today at 12:00 to give the Ducklings who went away for the long weekend a chance to submit their answers, the closing date and time for challenge #13/2015 will be Monday, 4 May 2015 at 13:00 instead of Sunday night at midnight.

Here is Duckling challenge #13/2015:

Some of our Ducklings must be back from a wonderful holiday, and I really hope to see them here! We've got to get 12 participants for the Raptor Guide! Come on guys and girls! Send in your answers! :thumbs_up:
Please support the ONLINE AUCTION HERE Click on Lot nr. for picture of item. Closing date: 10 May 2015!

Merlin11

Unread postby Merlin11 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi, I have been doing the last few duckling tests, but ....... It takes me so long I always miss the deadline to send in my attempts at answers :think:
So, I have spent ages today and come up with 2 answers so far, assuming I get to attempt all 8 how do I send my answers in :thumbs_up:

We bought a bird book last time we came, Complete Photographic Field Guide Birds of South Africa, my aim in doing these tests is to help me find my way round the book! All the big birds look the same as do the little birds so we struggle to know where to begin to look in the book.

Has anyone ever got everyone wrong so far :hmz:
Skukuza 16/10/15 to 21/10/15
Lower Sabie 22/10/15 to 24/10/15
Satara 25/10/15 to 29/10/15
Skukuza 30/10/15
Fly Home 31/10/15

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby hilda » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:25 am

Dear Merlin11, just keep on trying! I'll tell you what we can do to help you until you find your way around your bird guide. Whatever you have at the due date and time, send it per PM to the person who posted the challenge (this time it is me again), and I'll mark it out of the total you have send in. (I.e. if you have done 2 out of the 8, I'll mark it out of two.) :gflower:

You don't have to post your scores on the forum if you don't want to, and it doesn't matter if you don't get anything right. It is all part of the process of learning the difference between birds that almost look the same.

Read as much as you can about the bird, distribution, habitat, etc., to see if the bird you are ID-ing fits in. You will be amazed how fast you will find your way around your bird guide by just keep on trying to ID the birds.

Merlin11 wrote:Has anyone ever got everyone wrong so far

Yes, me! And many more at one stage got everything wrong. No problem at all, soon you will get better and better until you feel comfortable to do the Bird ID Challenges too!

Good luck, and I am looking forward to your answers for this week's challenge, (doesn't matter how many of the 8 you have done) per PM to me, on Monday by 13:00. :thumbs_up:
Please support the ONLINE AUCTION HERE Click on Lot nr. for picture of item. Closing date: 10 May 2015!

Karin Mitton

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:33 am

Merlin11 wrote:Hi, I have been doing the last few duckling tests, but ....... It takes me so long I always miss the deadline to send in my attempts at answers

I find that I struggle if I try the IDs when I am tired, so I normally set some time aside on a Saturday and Sunday, and then submit on a Sunday evening. I am yet to get 100%, but I enjoy the process of trying to ID the birds.

And just when I think I am getting the hang of it, they throw in challenging one! :big_eyes:

This week is an example - think I may struggle with a few.

But don't give up - if you are trying to find your way around your book by doing these challenges, it works! I am getting to know my books well!

Karin Mitton

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:39 am

I am going to Kruger tomorrow :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: , but will have a look at the challenge in the evenings when I sit and stare into the fire (that is, if I can tare my eyes away from the fire :lol: ), and submit my answers on Monday morning when I am back.

umtali1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ...2015 trip to SanParks completed

Unread postby umtali1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Shall make an attempt to get answers in by Monday, once Ouma en Oupa duties are over. :k
umtali1

View our 2013 trip report to Mokala and KNP at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
"Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP completed

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby hilda » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:16 pm

Dear Karin, drive safely and have a super time in Kruger! I envy you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Ouma and Oupa", enjoy your duties! I know you will! It was lovely to see you again on Monday! :dance: :dance:

Inyanga30 can also have some relaxing time and do the challenge while you are looking after the new Grandie! Please send pictures! :dance: :dance:

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”