Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 276  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

8/10 for me :dance: :dance: It took me hours :roll: :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:02 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
9/10 for me for challenge #44/2013! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:congrats:

When you have to do with waders you have to study every detail :doh: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:34 pm 

full house 10/10 :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is getting a habit :twisted: .......together with Ladybirder......... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:29 pm 

Quite new-ish to birding, have always stayed away from the LBJ's and difficult birds like these.
So found this sooo challenging but actually suprised myself with a 4/10, I know it is not great but I thought I'd get zero! (-:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:17 pm 

Great marks for everyone. I also managed a strike with 10/10. Really a great challenge that sorted some waders out for me.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

maretam wrote:
Quite new-ish to birding, have always stayed away from the LBJ's and difficult birds like these.
So found this sooo challenging but actually suprised myself with a 4/10, I know it is not great but I thought I'd get zero! (-:
That's great, Maretam :gflower: and don't get scared by Ladybirder, adddicted to birds and Kobus.......they are a class of their own. Hat off to the experts :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:47 pm 

Thanks Micetta. My fishing days help me with this one.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I must start to go fishing :whistle: :whistle: I hate the thought of the hook. Doesn't it hurt the poor fish?

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:51 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Congratulations to all with 100%! :clap: :clap:

Well done to the others! :D

Maretam, a warm welcome to the Forums, and especially to the Bird ID Challenge! You've done GREAT for a first timer! :clap: :clap:

Should you have time and want to get more practice, also try Birding school for ducklings. It's not necessarily easier, but you will enjoy it, and you will get lots of practice with two challenges per week! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Maretam, Welcome to the callenge and forum. One do learn a lot doing the challenges, espesially when working through the answers.I do make notes in my field guide of the distictive features.Just don't give up, you'll do better and better every time :clap: :clap:

Full house for me too.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WOW! What good scores everyone :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Welcome to the challenge, Maretam. It's very addictive and great fun. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

100% for me for #44 , but full credit must go to the Roberts App, which did most of the work... :k

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My my my... Despite all my intimidation and threat talk, you guys once again rose admirably to the challenge and hit this one right out of the ballpark as well. Of the 17 participants, no fewer than 6 scored 10/10 (well done JvR, lophaetus, addictedToBirds, KobusF, Ladybirder and huntsman). The average score for the challenge was a whopping 8.6/10.

So what does this all mean? Waders aren't nearly as difficult as everyone would like to believe. With some attention to detail and a bit of work, you can ID just about all of the regular waders. The birds in this challenge make up just about all the regularly occurring waders in South Africa. I've left out very easy ones like Ruddy Turnstone and Three-banded Plover but, if you can confidently ID all the birds in this challenge then you have nothing to fear when plonking down in Geelbek hide or arriving at a sight of millions of waders at Walvis bay lagoon. If you still find waders daunting, I'd suggest you do some reading up on these birds. Feel free to ask if you would like clarity on any of them but it is important that you get familiar with these 10 birds.

Hopefully you are all confident now and chomping at the bits to get stuck into challenge 45 :twisted:

But first, the answers to challenge 44:

Bird 1
Marsh Sandpiper - Identified correctly by 14/17 with Common Greenshank the only confusion species. The key feature here is the needle-like bill. Common Greenshank has a heavier bill that is a paler shade of grey and also slightly upcurved towards the tip. Look at bird 9 for a Greenshank.

Bird 2
Sanderling - Identified correctly by 16/17 participants. Notice the black shoulder patch and the black primary tips that is quite unique to this species.

Bird 3
Bar-tailed Godwit - Correctly identified by everybody!

Bird 4
Curlew Sandpiper - Correctly identified by 12/17. The main confusion candidate for this species is usually Dunlin but most of the wrong entries were Broad-billed Sandpiper. Of course, if the size of the bird was apparent, you would not have made that mistake but photo's don't show the size. Notice how the decurved bill has mostly a uniform curve over the full length of the bill. On both Dunlin and Broad-billed Sandpiper the droop in the bill is mainly restricted to the tip, on Broad-billed Sandpiper moreso than on Dunlin. Broad-billed Sandpiper also has a shorter bill than this.

Bird 5
Red Knot - Correctly identified by 14/17. Great Knot has a longer bill (longer than the length of the head) and black spots on the side of the breast. Also, the wings project beyond the tail tip.

Bird 6
Wood Sandpiper - Correctly identified by 15/17. The interrupted white feather margins is a very typical pattern of Wood Sand and the prominent eye brow as well. This is one of the most common waders in South Africa and one that is well worth your effort getting familiar with. Lesser Yellowlegs has longer legs, a longer neck and no yellow in the bill.

Bird 7
Little Stint - Correctly identified by 13/17. Red-necked Stint is a VERY similar looking bird but, unfortunately VERY rare as well. In this plumage (worn non-breeding), the one thing that would perhaps stand out most clearly is the black line along the shafts of the scapular feathers. Notice how this bird has grey feathers with a black line down the centre and a darker wash around the black line. On Red-necked Stint there would be virtually no dark wash, just a clean grey feather with a sharp black line down the centre. Other than that the features to use in telling these two species apart relate to their structure, not plumage.

This is an even more common wader, perhaps our most common wader and it is crucial to have a firm handle on this chap as the difference with Red-necked Stint is so subtle and you're likely to only ever see a single Red-necked Stint in your life (if ever) so you'd want to know how to nail it.

Bird 8
Ruff - Correctly identified by 15/17. There are two colour forms of Ruff, the normal dark form and the much less common white form. This one is obviously a white Ruff and perhaps the bird that is most commonly misidentified as Redshank. Notice though how small this bird's head is compared t the body and that seeming potbelly. Both Common and Spotted Redshanks are lanky looking birds, more comparable in structure to Wood Sandpiper. Notice also the white patch on the face, around the bill of the bird. That is a fairly consistent feature of Ruff, not always resent but usually and when it is, it's a give away. The Redshanks also has much brighter red legs. Ruff's legs vary from brown to yellow to orange but never the bright red of the Redshanks.

Bird 9
Common Greenshank - Correctly identified by 14/17. I've already dealt with some ID features above for separating it from Marsh Sandpiper. Greater Yellowlegs has much yellower legs, a straight bill with yellow (not grey) at the base.

Bird 10
Common Sandpiper - Correctly identified by 16/17. Notice the white crescent in front of the wing. That is perhaps the most useful feature for identifying Common Sand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 276  Next