Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 277  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Very good idea Wildtuinman! As Johan van Rensburg said: "YOU THORN"! :clap: :clap:

I am just a Forum Assistant Wildtuinman, but I will find out from the moderators which channels to follow to get SANP involved!

I am so excited! This is a GREAT idea! :dance: :dance:

I wonder what my other fellow 'mites will think of this? :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:11 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
No promises but hold that thought. ;)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

5/8 for MattAxel's challenge :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I agree, a small prize will encourage participation. I don't think it should come from SANPARKS itself. I think they have bigger things to worry about like saving Rhino's and other stuff. Also government inertia may be an issue.

You would probably get a quicker response from a commercial enterprise. Something like the "Sasol/Anglo/MTN? monthly birding challenge", up the prestige, where they can sponsor a book prize each month. Perhaps a choice of book, since some of us seem to own most of them :mrgreen:

I think there are a lot interest groups that may consider sponsoring such an event.

E.g. cell phone operators... think of all the bandwidth they generate from forum interest. Prize of airtime vouchers or something.

Industrial corporates trying to get a greener image :hmz:

Accomodation vendors, Protea Hotels?

Outdoor Photo vouchers? A lot of the pictures on this forum must come from the use of their gear, and many of their customers are birders/wild card holders.

Or Bells can sponsor some hip flasks for day trips to Kruger :whistle: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lots of very good ideas being floated about, but you need to make sure that any reward/prize would be applicable worldwide and not have a short time limit.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
JenB wrote:
No promises but hold that thought.

Let's first wait and see what SANParks think about it. JenB will find out for us. :thumbs_up:

Great idea too adrianp! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:22 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
5/8 for me for Challenge #10/2013! Normally 50% is good for me, anything more is a bonus! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As with Hilda 5/8 for me as well. Looking forward to the results tomorrow. Have fun!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here is challenge #11 of 2013

I think it's a bit easier than #10, which proved to be quite a tough challenge.

Enjoy :D

#6 I want both birds in this picture

This challenge is out of 9, because #6 is worth 2 marks.

Looking forward to receiving your answers.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:39 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you for challenge #11/2013 MattAxel! :clap: :clap:

You say "easier than #10"? I'm not so sure, but hey, this is a challenge! :doh:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It's a pleasure Hilda :thumbs_up:

I'll post the answers for challenge #10 this afternoon incase some people want to get last minute entries in.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

umtali1 wrote:
Lots of very good ideas being floated about, but you need to make sure that any reward/prize would be applicable worldwide and not have a short time limit.

Phew- that makes it a lot harder... :hmz:

Imagine the shipping costs of Roberts VII to Easter Island :big_eyes:

Would SanParks vouchers be of any value to non-RSA based entrants?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:42 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
MattAxel wrote:
I'll post the answers for challenge #10 this afternoon incase some people want to get last minute entries in.

That is great, thank you MattAxel! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are the answers to challenge #10 of 2013

Thank you to all of you who made an effort and took part, and a big well done to Ladybirder for getting full marks. :clap:

The average score was 5.18/8 or 64.78%

White-winged Tern - No problems here, everyone nailed this one. Well done! Photo taken at Mkhombo Dam, Mpumalanga

Cuckoo Finch - Overall yellow colour, with small tail. Back markings aren't correct for any of the weavers or Canaries. Photo taken at Vlaklaagte, Mpumalanga

Cape Rock Thrush (female) – Almost everyone got that it was one of the Rock Thrushes, but a lot of people didn't get it down to the correct species. Female Short-toed has a conspicuous white throat patch, and the markings on the throat of female Sentinel fade into the orange on the breast. Photo taken at Suikerbosrand, Gauteng

Wahlberg's Eagle - I tried to make it a bit difficult by using an underexposed photo so the coulours are a bit harder to make out. This is to show that when IDing raptors size and shape can often be more important than the colouring. Wahlberg's has a very distinct flight shape where it keeps its tail in a rectangular shape instead of fanned out, and also has very straight wings. All of you did really well here. Photo taken at Mabusa, Mpumalanga.

Buffy Pipit - This one caused quite a few problems. This is a very weirdly coloured Buffy Pipit, which is usually more sandy brown than this. This individual is in worn plumage, which makes it look like a darker grey-brown, more like the colour of Plain-backed Pipit. Good features to look at are the facial markings, because Plain-backed and Long-tailed have much more distinct superciliums and malar stripes than Buffy. This bird has basically no malar stripe, and a very weak buff supercilium. It also has a pinkish base to the bill, whereas Plain-backed usually has a more yellowish base (Note: Mandible colour should not be used alone as a distinguishing factor, but more of a guide, as light can sometimes manipulate the colour a bit.) Photo taken at Vlaklaagte, Mpumalaga.

Red-winged Francolin - No problems here, everyone got it. Photo taken at Dullstroom, Mpumalanga

Southern Banded Snake Eagle - This one was very tough, and only Ladybirder got it correct. Most people said an Accipiter of some sort, but the tail is too short, and the wing projections not long enough to be an Accipiter. It is also showing a slight crested appearance which is typical of Snake Eagles. Cuckoo-Hawk also has a slight crest, but Cuckoo-Hawk perches on really short legs, with only its feet visible, and its wing tips extend almost to the end of the tail. The white tips on the primaries also point towards Southern Banded Snake Eagle. Photo taken at Bonamanzi, KZN.

Chestnut-backed Sparrowlark (female) - Chestnut coloured upperparts, and dark belly patch are diagnostic. Photo taken at Satara, Kruger National Park.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you for the results MattAxell! I would never have been able to ID that Snake Eagle! :D

How many 'mites participated in #10/2013? :hmz:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 277  Next