Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184 ... 277  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Definitely still interested! (Don't always have the time to enter every week, but I always look at the challenges and ID what I can before the week is over, even if I don't have time to do the whole thing - I only enter if I have an answer for most :lol: ).

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I say 'three cheers to the mites who put up our challenges'. The challenges must take up a lot of your time.

It would be a very sad day if these were to stop because of lack of interest.

South Africa has such a wealth of bird life for us to discover. Through these channels we are able to continue that journey of discovery even from another country.

So, fellow mites, let's keep responding to the challenges in all the bird identity forums.

Thanks to everyone who keeps the entire forum working for us.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:18 pm 

hilda wrote:
Thank you so much AdrianP! Sorry for the low amount of entries! Maybe the cricket has got something to do with it? I wouldn't know. :(

Maybe the birders are just not interested in these challenges anymore? If so, they must please just let us know, because a lot of time and effort goes into these challenges! :doh:

To all participants of the bird ID challenges:

Please let me know whether you are interested in carrying on with these challenges or not? :doh:

Hi Hilda, YES PLEASE, I also learn alot with these challenges I know it is hard work, but also fun.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Although not often participating due to lack of time at these challenges I still learn so much and I would love if these will be continued :thumbs_up:

So another yes from me as well :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:19 pm 

Yes please continue. I learn a lot from them just don't have time to study the books properly to answer the quiz. Always learn a lot from the answers when published

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:44 am 

Hi Guys

Yes please do keep it going. I never post anything because I am always behind you guys but I use it all the time to better my knowledge of SA birds. I go right back through the whole list and test myself. Its amazing so thanks very much for all your effort!

Sorry for not making my interest known!

Thanks from Manchester!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:15 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you so much for all the responses 'mites! :gflower:

Umtali1 made a very valid suggestion, and maybe we should think about it .... Should we, from May 2013 onwards, put up these challenges on a bi-weekly basis? The reason why I say May, is because the programme for the challenges has been drawn up from January until end of April last year already, and I don't think we should change that, and I also don't want to, because those challengers have already done a lot of work on it. :wink:

Since most 'mites have full time jobs, it could be better if they have more time for the challenges! What do you think? :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for all the replies mites. I'm glad to hear that even though I haven't been recieving many answers, there's still a lot of you that learn from these challenges. But why don't more of you send in answers, even if you don't have much time on your hands? You have nothing to lose :D Give it a bash!

Hilda I think chellenges every second week might be a good idea. It will help us that set up the challenges, and might get more people participating consistently. And I'm running out of pictures to use for the challenges :lol: but that could just give me an excuse to go out birding and get more pictures!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MattAxel I promise you ,you will definitely receive more answers. There is still a few days left before Friday. I'm not doing the whole Challange at once, I try to do at least 1 or 2 per day because it does take some time, but I am enjoying it very much and learn a lot.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
hilda wrote:
Since most 'mites have full time jobs, it could be better if they have more time for the challenges! What do you think? :)

Speaking from past experience, it takes far more time and energy to set the challenge and and compose a meaningful feedback post than any of the participating 'mites can expend in their answers. Getting the number of participants up is important to show the challenge master that his / her efforts are appreciated, for one. The other major reason is our shared passion for birding and our compulsion to share and have this wonderful activity grow.

:lol: Just threaten to stop and you’ll see the numbers bounce back! :twisted:

On a serious note: On previous occasions when interest flagged, all the dedicated participants went out and canvassed to get their mates involved. We also have record of who participated previously and a gentle PM to nudge them awake may be all that is required. :wink:

Because you have managed so very competently to spread the work load, Hilda, I personally don't think the frequency of posts matters one way or another. In fact, bi-weekly may have the reverse effect to that which we desire, namely to get the participation numbers up.

I will keenly be watching to see how this unexpected problem is solved...

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:20 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
MattAxel wrote:
Hilda I think chellenges every second week might be a good idea.

Johan van Rensburg wrote:
I personally don't think the frequency of posts matters one way or another. In fact, bi-weekly may have the reverse effect to that which we desire, namely to get the participation numbers up.

Two contradictory answers from two of our ornothologists on the forum! :doh:

Let's not act precipitately, and see how it goes in the next few challenges. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
hilda wrote:

Let's not act precipitately, and see how it goes in the next few challenges. :D

Remember: If you continue doing what you have been doing, expect to get what you have been getting...

I.e. In order for participation to increase, work that may not previously have been thought of must be done now. Usually with Open forums attention span is limited and if you continue too long on a certain path, some of your followers stray. Amongst your peers, talk to adrianp... That man has got a very sharp mind and some wacky idea may save the day.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I don't have too much say here, but I think it would be great if SANP can sponsor a prize each month for the challenge. That will certainly get more people involved.

Post a 20 or even higher photo challenge once a month and have a prize attached to it and Bob's your uncle. :thumbs_up:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
wildtuinman wrote:
I don't have too much say here, but I think it would be great if SANP can sponsor a prize each month for the challenge. That will certainly get more people involved.

Post a 20 or even higher photo challenge once a month and have a prize attached to it and Bob's your uncle. :thumbs_up:

Now why didn't I think of that?

WTM, YOU THORN!

So, where do we start to get SANP reaction?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I am sure that Hilda as moderator will know which channels to follow to get SANP involved. :wink:

Add a few more rules to it, such as a winner can't win another prize for 3 months or so and that will almost guarantee a brand new winner each month. One can even go as far as to say that one can only win once throughout the year and then qualify for a grand prize at the end of the year for something nice such as a free game drive or even a night's accommodation for free or whatever.

If there is a tie at the top at the end of the month there can be a sudden death id.

I am sure SANP has plenty of marketing goods gathering dust that could be put to good use here. :twisted:

All in all, it can only be beneficial for SANP.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184 ... 277  Next