Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 276  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thankyou for the answers to ID Challenge #43 Lizet :gflower: . It was not easy, namely the Olive Thrush and the Copper Sunbird. The Copper Sunbird in my SASOL looks nothing like that in your photo or others on the web. The Bronzy Sunbird was an easy trap to fall into :doh: . I shall make some notes. Time to get my answers together for Ferdelance's latest challenge, with more traps in the offing. Plenty of :wall: :think: and :lotsocoffee: (also for Micetta :wink: ) for the next few days. Have FUN :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:25 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you Lizet! I think I was just VERY lucky to get them all right! Thanks again for your time and effort on these challenges! It is really appreciated! :gflower:

I'm still struggling with Ferdelance's #44! Still a lot of paging to be done! :tongue:

Challenge #45 will be posted by Deefstes on Friday. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

#44 - 5/7 I was trying to be too "clever" :slap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:12 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Well done Micetta! And I mean it! I shall NOT laugh at you. Mine is still not ready to be posted, maybe later today. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I have posted my answers to Ferdelance, and can only hope for 50%! :doh:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

3 1/2, Hilda? :lol: Don't be such a pessimist. This is the time, that you might get full house....agian :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:58 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hahahaaaa Micetta! Still waiting for my results! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:02 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Oh my word :doh: . I only have 3/7 this time around :slap: . Not even 50% :redface: . Still a lot to learn :hmz: .

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I also got 3/7 for #44! :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Okiedokie blokies and vroutjies, time to put up Challenge #45. I do believe that this should be a very easy one and I'm expecting that a fair number of you will hit me with a 10/10. I did get up to some sneakiness towards the end though :twisted:

So PM your answers to me, you have until Friday 30 Nov.

Bird 1

Bird 2

Bird 3

Bird 4

Bird 5

Bird 6

Bird 7

Bird 8

Bird 9

Bird 10
Aha! I did say I'd get up to some sneakiness towards the end. So bird #10 you get to identify from its call, not a picture. I believe being proficient in identification of bird calls is as important a birding skill as being able to identify birds from plumage, and structure. :wink:
https://www.box.com/s/rt0tg1fint9mtswvpabi

Have fun. Answers will be posted next Friday before the Lady Gaga concert. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:30 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you Deefstes! :D

Do you have tickets for the Lady Gaga Concert? :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to Ferdelance :thumbs_up: for my score 6/7 :dance: for the last challenge. As to the latest ID challenge set by Deefstes I have only skimmed through it, but :wall: :wall: :think: comes to mind. Thanks Deefstes :twisted: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:30 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Very well done Mutorashanga! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good Evening Everyone.

Apologies for the late posting of the pics but we decided to try and find a Madagascar Cuckoo....not very successfully though! Anyway so I only got back from Kruger this morning @ 2! Been a hectic weekend!

Jee I am getting the feeling that my challenges are not that good. Only 8 mites taking part for #44.

the pass mark was 64.3% . So it really looks like you were all struggling a bit. I knew Number 7 was really tough. Did you guys find it to difficult to do? :rtm:

Answers #44:
1. [8/8] Yellow Fronted Canary. No problems here.

2. [5/8] Long billed Crombec. I see one or two said it is a Red faced crombec. The bird would have shown a overall reddish wash to the throat and underbody if this was the case. This bird shows a whiteish throat and light orange underbody.

3. [3/8] Fiscal Flycatcher. Ok this is where most of you struggled. Collared flycatcher seemed to be the popular choice. A male collard Flycatcher would be showing a white collar behind the head and a grey not white rump with a white frons infront of the eye. All 3 features not the case in this bird. Just a normal Fiscal flycatcher showing more white on the wing than usually because of the angle and timing of the photo! :whistle:

4. [8/8] Chorister Robin-Chat. I thought with the shadow I would chatch someone but you all nailed this one..... :dance:

5. [4/8] Brown Throated Martin. It was a little sneaky photo as the Martin was perched. The long wings that extend beyond the tail and the fine body and small bill should have pointed you towards a swallow/martin. The overall brown bird then should exclude the swallows and the lack of a white throat and brown collar should eliminate the Sand martin. I speak under correction but Rock MArtins won't perch in trees like this and don't have such white bellies and flanks.

6. [4/8] Meve's Starling. This bird is much smaller and finer than a Burchel's which has a much bigger and plumper appearance! The tail is much thinner and pointier than Burchel's which is typical Meve's characteristic. The bird although being a Juv already shows the charactiristic blue rather than the more greenish tingeing of a burchel's.

7. [1/8] Sooty Shearwater. Ok this was the tricky bird. I didn't want to add this pic initially as it doesn't show the key I.D feature for Sooty shearwater which is the silvery underwing coverts. This was not an easy I.D tand the only real indicator was the lighter yellowish, (not white), throat patch on this bird which should separate it from Flesh-Footed shearwater. It doesn't however have a white throat which excludes all the shearwaters except Flesh-footed and Wedge tailed. It is however very cool that everyone I.D this bird as a shearwater. That is already brilliant attempt getting the family right. Wasn't easy this photo......

wishing everyone a succesful and peaceful final week of November!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:22 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks for the results Ferdelance! :thumbs_up:

It seems that you are going to have a looooong Monday today after getting home so late! But at least you have enjoyed your weekend!

I definitely found this challenge difficult, but that is not strange. I find them all difficult! :tongue:

Anyway, I shall not give up! Even though I am struggling, I am enjoying these challenges and learn a lot! :dance: :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 276  Next