Skip to Content

Oriole, Eurasian Golden

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

Jumbo

Oriole, Eurasian Golden

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 am

Just checking….is this a female Eurasian Golden Oriole?
I photographed the bird last week in Sirheni…. unfortunately only got two shots, both from this angle and the light was terrible :cry: …. had to use PS to lighten shadows etc.

Image Larger View

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2014)
Awards: Birder of the Year (2014) & Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread postby Johan van Rensburg » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:22 am

Corfirmed! :thumbs_up:

White streaked underparts are diagnostic
671 Latest lifer: Black coucal

deefstes
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby deefstes » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:27 am

Hmmm, I think it is indeed a European Golden Oriole but I'd rather think that it's a juvenile. That streaking is a bit excessive for a female.

The yellow shoulders bother me a little and I think it may be worth considering if it isn't an African Golden Oriole perhaps (also juvenile). Why don't you post the other shot as well, it may just show something that this one doesn't.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel." -Homer Simpson

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:48 am

Eish, don’t think this one will be of much help either, but here goes. :redface:
@ Deefstes…it is really great to have you participate in these topics again :clap: ….I, for one, missed your input!

Image Larger View

deefstes
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby deefstes » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:07 pm

You're too kind Jumbo. But maybe you're giving me too much credit as this bird of your's seem to have me scratching my head.

I do think the second picture shows two things that reaffirms the ID of Eurasian Golden Oriole though. The little bit that it shows of the left upper wing is clearly black and the streaking seems to extend onto the throat - both features that point to Eurasian.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel." -Homer Simpson

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby francoisd » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:19 pm

An Oriole it is. :D

Tend to agree with deefstes that it is rather a juvenile Eurasian Golden Oriole.
Deefstes mentioned two good points and I also do not see any streaking on the vent/under tail area which according to my Roberts PDA is the case with African Golden Oriole.

Also looking (enlarging) the 1st photo especially I can also not see the marking at the eye extending beyond the eye but rather just between the eye and bill. African G O has an eye stripe that extends beyond the eye
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”