Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics






Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 5 of 7
 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:38 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:37 pm
Posts: 344
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
I agree that the first is Levaillant's.
None of them are Croaking. Croaking doesn't have a rufous head.
These Cisticolas are hard to ID from just photos, the easiest way to ID them is with their call.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:39 pm
Posts: 7
Hi Guys

I am wondering if any of you can help me out with a few ID's as i am a complete novice. I am just about to do a full trip report but needed to confirm a few birds before i do so. I have about 12 so i will do them a few at a time so not to bombard you. Most of them are in Kruger but a few are outside. Many thanks in advance for any help! :D

No.3 - This little fella was at Golden Gates Highlands National Park. Its some kind of cisticola or Prinia but I didnt hear his call so that makes life a lot harder


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:57 pm 
Offline
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:18 am
Posts: 275
I'd say:

#3 Cisticola, yes, Levaillant's, as it has a black back and rufus crown


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:18 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 am
Posts: 303
Location: Cape Town
I was in Addo at the end of April and saw a number of LBJs which I would like help with.

I did manage to ID some of the birds, but the LBjs just drive me mad. :twisted:

Cisticola
Image

Thanks guys!!

_________________
KNP - 17 - 20 Oct 2014 (P'kop/ Croc Bridge/ Lower Sabie)
KNP - 8-16 Nov 2014 (Tamboti/ Mopani/ Shipindani/ LS/ Skukuza/ P'kop)
KTP - 26/12 - 2/1/15


Last edited by Rookie on Thu May 17, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:28 pm 
Offline
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:18 am
Posts: 275
Another cisticola I'm thinking grey backed, or Levaillant's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:22 pm
Posts: 218
Location: Bela-Bela, Limpopo
Levaillant's Cisticola (Lots of black on the back).

_________________
2013. . . . . Okavango?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:14 am 
Offline
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:18 am
Posts: 275
I considered both Levaillant's and grey backed cisticola. If it was Levaillant's, the extensive grey on black feather edging could be due to feather wear, (the bird should moult soon). But I went for grey backed, because Levaillants should have more rufus on the neck, and the tips of the tail are black, rather than uniform brown as in grey backed. I'm not 100% convinced on what is right here, and I would be quite happy for some of the experts to chip in. I was also influenced by the type of vegetation that the bird was found in, which is more typical for gray backed, although Levaillant's can wander far from water.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:29 am 
Offline
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Posts: 3833
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)
I too have a growing collection of 'unknown cisticolas' :wall: — to which these may be added. I try and try to distinguish between greybacked and Levaillant's cisticolas and invariably get them wrong, so .... Is this Levaillant's? See along Darling Hills Road on 31 May 2012.

Image

_________________
RSA 2014
20-16 Oct Joburg
27-30 Oct Mapungubwe: Limpopo forest tented camp, Leokwe camp
31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 am 
Offline
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
User avatar
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:33 pm
Posts: 2370
Location: Bashing Balule
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
arks wrote:
I too have a growing collection of 'unknown cisticolas' :wall: — to which these may be added. I try and try to distinguish between greybacked and Levaillant's cisticolas and invariably get them wrong, so .... Are these (which may or my not be the same bird) Levaillant's? See along Darling Hills Road on 31 May 2012.


I don't think it's the same bird, arks, but it is pix of the same species. :wink: Why did you pick Levailant's? How would you distinguish GBC from LC considering the features you can see in your pics (plain rufous crown, Buff-brown margins to black mantle feathers, rufous wing panel and even tail shape and length?)

_________________
667 Latest lifer: Pacific Golden Plover


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:54 pm 
Offline
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Posts: 3833
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)
Johan van Rensburg wrote:
arks wrote:
I too have a growing collection of 'unknown cisticolas' :wall: — to which these may be added. I try and try to distinguish between greybacked and Levaillant's cisticolas and invariably get them wrong, so .... Are these (which may or my not be the same bird) Levaillant's? See along Darling Hills Road on 31 May 2012.

I don't think it's the same bird, arks, but it is pix of the same species. :wink: Why did you pick Levailant's? How would you distinguish GBC from LC considering the features you can see in your pics (plain rufous crown, Buff-brown margins to black mantle feathers, rufous wing panel and even tail shape and length?)

Thanks, Johan. I think that my field guide (Newman) doesn't tell me enough detail :roll: Perhaps that's why I invariably get it wrong? :wall: I thought that these birds had backs that are more black than grey and my book shows the Levaillant's as have a more solidly clear rufous head than the greybacked ... and I don't see any noticable difference on the Newman's drawings in the tail length and the rufous on the wings.

(OK, so may be I need a new/better field guide?)

_________________
RSA 2014
20-16 Oct Joburg
27-30 Oct Mapungubwe: Limpopo forest tented camp, Leokwe camp
31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:15 pm 
Offline
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
User avatar
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:33 pm
Posts: 2370
Location: Bashing Balule
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
arks wrote:
Johan van Rensburg wrote:
arks wrote:
I too have a growing collection of 'unknown cisticolas' :wall: — to which these may be added. I try and try to distinguish between greybacked and Levaillant's cisticolas and invariably get them wrong, so .... Are these (which may or my not be the same bird) Levaillant's? See along Darling Hills Road on 31 May 2012.

I don't think it's the same bird, arks, but it is pix of the same species. :wink: Why did you pick Levailant's? How would you distinguish GBC from LC considering the features you can see in your pics (plain rufous crown, Buff-brown margins to black mantle feathers, rufous wing panel and even tail shape and length?)

Thanks, Johan. I think that my field guide (Newman) doesn't tell me enough detail :roll: Perhaps that's why I invariably get it wrong? :wall: I thought that these birds had backs that are more black than grey and my book shows the Levaillant's as have a more solidly clear rufous head than the greybacked ... and I don't see any noticable difference on the Newman's drawings in the tail length and the rufous on the wings.

(OK, so may be I need a new/better field guide?)



Nothing wrong with Newman's ... its illustrations of these two species are spot-on. All of the features I mention above are shown there. I'm just not sure if my cryptic answer had the desired outcome namely to have you go back (to your NEWMAN's) and compare the two cisticolas, then re-evaluate your (originally correct) ID based on these clues/tips!

The idea was for you to make the ID based on those features, then you shouldn't battle again in future when you encountre these specific birds seeing that you will understand and know those points on which you can base a correct ID everytime.

_________________
667 Latest lifer: Pacific Golden Plover


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:14 pm 
Offline
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Posts: 3833
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)
Johan van Rensburg wrote:
arks wrote:
Johan van Rensburg wrote:
arks wrote:
I too have a growing collection of 'unknown cisticolas' :wall: — to which these may be added. I try and try to distinguish between greybacked and Levaillant's cisticolas and invariably get them wrong, so .... Are these (which may or my not be the same bird) Levaillant's? See along Darling Hills Road on 31 May 2012.

I don't think it's the same bird, arks, but it is pix of the same species. :wink: Why did you pick Levailant's? How would you distinguish GBC from LC considering the features you can see in your pics (plain rufous crown, Buff-brown margins to black mantle feathers, rufous wing panel and even tail shape and length?)

Thanks, Johan. I think that my field guide (Newman) doesn't tell me enough detail :roll: Perhaps that's why I invariably get it wrong? :wall: I thought that these birds had backs that are more black than grey and my book shows the Levaillant's as have a more solidly clear rufous head than the greybacked ... and I don't see any noticable difference on the Newman's drawings in the tail length and the rufous on the wings.

(OK, so may be I need a new/better field guide?)

Nothing wrong with Newman's ... its illustrations of these two species are spot-on. All of the features I mention above are shown there. I'm just not sure if my cryptic answer had the desired outcome namely to have you go back (to your NEWMAN's) and compare the two cisticolas, then re-evaluate your (originally correct) ID based on these clues/tips!

The idea was for you to make the ID based on those features, then you shouldn't battle again in future when you encountre these specific birds seeing that you will understand and know those points on which you can base a correct ID everytime.

You mean I've finally got it right?!? :dance: It's just that I'm SO lacking in confidence when I try to ID cisticolas, and in the past I had often/usually gotten it wrong. So glad to understand now that I am finally making some progress .... :whistle: :wink:

Thanks, Johan, for never making it easy, that's the best way for me to learn! :tongue: :thumbs_up:

_________________
RSA 2014
20-16 Oct Joburg
27-30 Oct Mapungubwe: Limpopo forest tented camp, Leokwe camp
31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:12 pm 
Offline
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
User avatar
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:33 pm
Posts: 2370
Location: Bashing Balule
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
arks wrote:
You mean I've finally got it right?!? :dance: It's just that I'm SO lacking in confidence when I try to ID cisticolas, and in the past I had often/usually gotten it wrong. So glad to understand now that I am finally making some progress .... :whistle: :wink:

Thanks, Johan, for never making it easy, that's the best way for me to learn! :tongue: :thumbs_up:


So, does that mean the end of grey-backed/Levailant's cisticola conundrums from your neck-o'-the-wood? :hmz:

_________________
667 Latest lifer: Pacific Golden Plover


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - LBJs
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:00 am 
Offline
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Posts: 3833
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)
Johan van Rensburg wrote:
arks wrote:
You mean I've finally got it right?!? :dance: It's just that I'm SO lacking in confidence when I try to ID cisticolas, and in the past I had often/usually gotten it wrong. So glad to understand now that I am finally making some progress .... :whistle: :wink:

Thanks, Johan, for never making it easy, that's the best way for me to learn! :tongue: :thumbs_up:

So, does that mean the end of grey-backed/Levailant's cisticola conundrums from your neck-o'-the-wood? :hmz:

:lol: I've actually been posting fewer and fewer cisticola ID queries, but sometimes I'm (still) just not 100% sure :redface: and need reassurance :wink:

_________________
RSA 2014
20-16 Oct Joburg
27-30 Oct Mapungubwe: Limpopo forest tented camp, Leokwe camp
31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:00 pm
Posts: 332
Location: Cape Town
Hi Guys need confirmations on these two

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Webcams Highlights

Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Submitted by kyknetta at 19:07:34 Submitted by kyknetta at 21:49:01 Submitted by Mrs. S.K.L.Gauntlett at 15:56:37 Submitted by Deeds at 19:40:05