Candy's Style
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dove, Redeyed

Unread postby Candy's Style » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Redeyed Dove
Grootringduif
Streptopelia semitorquata

Habits: Solitary or in pairs, except at good food source when flocks of up to 30 birds may gather. Flight heavy but powerful. Lands very heavily compared with other turtle doves. Feeds on ground, coming to feeding stations, but more wary than other doves. Rests high on tree, sometimes on exposed leafless branches.
Food: Seeds of grass, maize, sunflower, peanut, sorghum, castor oil and Acacia species, bulbs of Cyperus esculentus, fruits of Lantana camara, bread and termite alates.

In Kruger :P

meerkatte

Re: Dove, Redeyed

Unread postby meerkatte » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:48 pm

Wev'e read a few articles conserning the Redeyed Dove and it seems many of them get shot due to ruining farmers crops. Is there any legislation protecting these birds? If there is, where can we read more about it?

Meerkatte

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Dove, Redeyed

Unread postby billyf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:53 pm

I can confirm that they love peanuts. Have a couple here at home that picked up the habit from stealing the peanuts I give to the squirrels that come begging - now the one dove sits outside my study window looking at me until I give her a few peanuts. (This happens about 4 times a day)

They certainly are not in short supply in my suburb.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”