Eagle: Martial Eagle

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

Moegaai
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread postby Moegaai » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:56 pm

JOL wrote:Don't know about crowned having the back of the neck barred though , Moegaai...?

Jon

Jon, came to this conclusion from all illustrations and pics I could find of jub Crowned showing barring on the back of the neck. I could be wrong to use this as an ID feature...

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Lovely martial Jen. I saw one at Spier, and it was the same.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

JOL

Unread postby JOL » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 am

Moegaai wrote:
JOL wrote:Don't know about crowned having the back of the neck barred though , Moegaai...?

Jon

Jon, came to this conclusion from all illustrations and pics I could find of jub Crowned showing barring on the back of the neck. I could be wrong to use this as an ID feature...

...some individuals certainly shows some mottling on the crown/back of head , which might take the form of barring. However , this area varies quite a bit on young crowned eagles and some are almost completely whiteheaded/-necked. So yes , they can show that character but some (many?) don't.

Scottm

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread postby Scottm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Last one for the day .... August in Kruger... Big What is this?

More to follow later in the week, if there are people to help this dumb budding birder....

Scott
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)

Ex-Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread postby Rusty Justy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:08 pm

And your other Raptor, is a Immature Fish-Eagle Scott :D
:dance: STIFFNECKS MEMBER :dance:

FGASA LEVEL 1

JOL

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread postby JOL » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:21 am

Rusty Justy wrote:And your other Raptor, is a Immature Fish-Eagle Scott :D

I think the all-white body rules out african fish eagle , RJ! This bird looks like an immature martial to me!

From my limited knowledge (at the moment!) (I am learning fast and furious :D )

Jon

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rusty Justy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:34 pm

Jol, I agree with the Martial Eagle :doh: :lol: Very Rushed ID on my behalf!! :thumbs_up:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:37 pm

Rusty and Jol

Any chance of that bird being, rather than Imm Martial, the pale form of Whalbergs Eagle? The marshal has a dark beak, whereas the bird in the pic has a yellow beak. Further advances on this?

Scott

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

JOL

Unread postby JOL » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 pm

Scottm wrote:Rusty and Jol

Any chance of that bird being, rather than Imm Martial, the pale form of Whalbergs Eagle? The marshal has a dark beak, whereas the bird in the pic has a yellow beak. Further advances on this?

Scott

....well , as I’ve said before , I’m not that experienced with wahlberg’s eagle , and given that it’s such a variable raptor , with plumages looking very much like this , it’s certainly a reasonable question , Scott. If you are indeed right that the cere (rather than the beak) is actually yellow , then you really have a good case , and since you have the original pictures , you’re definitely in the best position to judge.
However , I’ve tried to enhance the posted photo , and I’m not really convinced (yet) that it is actually yellow. I admit that it seems to have a slight beige/yellowish tint , but I suspect that it might be a result of the shrubbery in the foreground , which also causes discolouration in other parts of the photo – like on the lower parts of the greater coverts (also yellowish). Furthermore the gape , which should have approximately the same colour as the cere , certainly doesn’t look yellow to me , so maybe you could take another look at the original photo , and tell me if I'm wrong about this?

Jon

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Any better to help you (and others) solve this one? Cropped, but untouched.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3417/3404249688_d40ed2e836.jpg?v=0

Yolandé Oelsen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Eagle: Martial Eagle

Unread postby Yolandé Oelsen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Seen on Monday, near Maroela camp.
www.whereeaglesrest.co.za
STIFFNECK
"I'll rise up like the Eagle & I will soar with You because Your Spirit leads me on ~ by the Power of Your Love"

JOL

Unread postby JOL » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Bare part colouration seems to be the headline for these two mystery raptors – Scottm’s eagle and Haplo’s goshawk/eagle.

First one’s first: I’ve spent a bit of time looking through pictures of wahlberg’s eagle on the net , which isn’t as simple as it should be , since there are a lot of misidentified birds out there! However , after looking at the ones that I considered to be identified correctly , it seems obvious that wahlberg’s eagle has a bright yellow cere and gape regardless of age – this also fits the illustrations in various field guides. A close look on Scott’s photo shows that the bird doesn’t seem to have a bright yellow cere , and certainly no yellow on the gape at all! In fact , the more I look at the picture , the more convinced I become that what might seem like a faint yellowish cere , is actually a discolouration caused by the some out-of-focus twigs in the foreground. As mentioned earlier , this is also obvious in other parts of the picture , always causing a yellowish discolouration.
Since everything else seems to fit with martial eagle , I’ll stick with my first call on this one , but if anyone disagrees I’m all ears….!

Jon

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Jon, thank you for your comprehensive and well-thought-through response, to both raptors. Aside from the learning experience you (and others have provided), let's just relegate my one to the unidentified folder, and move on to the next challenge and learning experience. :thumbs_up:

JOL

Unread postby JOL » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:11 pm

Scottm wrote:Jon, thank you for your comprehensive and well-thought-through response, to both raptors. Aside from the learning experience you (and others have provided), let's just relegate my one to the unidentified folder, and move on to the next challenge and learning experience. :thumbs_up:

Hi Scott ,

My pleasure , I’m learning from this as well! In my opinion there is no need to “relegate” it to the “unidentified folder” though. Unless someone makes a really convincing case for another species , I think you can safely call this one an immature martial eagle - everything fits.
By the way , is it a dead bird on the branch in front of the eagle?

Jon

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rusty Justy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:13 am

Also noticed the bird......... :D Thought it was a cormorant! :lol:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”