Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sasol Birds App for Blackberry phones
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:36 am 

Does anybody have any experience with the Sasol Birds Application for Blackberry phones? I would like to do some research and hear some opinions before spending the money on the software for my phone. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Sasol Birds App for Blackberry phones
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Hi Gabar,

I have it running on my Samsung Galaxy Tab (Android) at the moment. It is unfortunately nowhere near the same caliber as Roberts MM which I have running on an old Windows Samsung Omnia, but then again it also doesn't cost as much.

However in saying all this, it is still a very nice and helpful resource to have. And thank goodness for Sasol e-Birds as Roberts, by the sounds of things, will only bring out versions for BlackBerry and Android sometime middle of next year.

Cheers

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 am 

Thank you Wildtuinman.

It seems as if there are very few people using it. I'll wait a bit longer before making any decision.

Gabar

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Not at all Gabar.. have spoken to a lot of people using the software and I have been using it for well over a year now, since their first launch of the app on Blackberry.

Now using the new version which coincided with the new Sasol 4 book on my android phone.

Just like WTM said, it is pretty much the Sasol book on your phone with the added luxury of being able to create a list and export it to your PC etc. Roberts is still the flagship software in the mobile department, but they are seriously dropping the ball in my opinion.
I spoke to them in the beginning of the year and they said they should have it ready for June 2011. Now WTM spoke to them and they say middle next year?

It is not that expensive and I have found myself using it quite a lot lately, especially to quickly reference distribution or a call of a bird.

There is a huge price gap between Sasol and Roberts, obviously because Roberts offers a lot, but why wait another year or two for Roberts software to catch up? Spend the R200 and get the Sasol so long..

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:46 pm 

Thanks DotDan!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:20 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Also installed it on my Blackberry a couple of weeks ago. Was quite a mission to get it installed as the download kept on stopping and if it completes there was a problem with the file. I phoned the company and got excellent service, they emailed me a separate link for direct download and that worked well.

As said, it is a SASOL 4 on your phone with advantage of having bird calls. The Roberts calls are however better in my opinion but it is nice to always have a "bird guide" available as your phone is with you most of the time.

For the new discounted price of R177 I think it is a bargain.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 am 

Nice to have but be aware of the fact that when you buy the app for Blackberry you will only be able to use it on your blackberry. When you switch to a IPhone or Android phone for some reason, you will need to purchase the app again. It is not transferable from one phone to another when the phones are not on the same operating system. Money making scheme I think.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:19 am 

LaeveldLeeu wrote:
Nice to have but be aware of the fact that when you buy the app for Blackberry you will only be able to use it on your blackberry. When you switch to a IPhone or Android phone for some reason, you will need to purchase the app again. It is not transferable from one phone to another when the phones are not on the same operating system. Money making scheme I think.

I am sure as iPhone, Andriod and Blackberry are all different operating systems you will also not be able to transfer your Anroid version of the SASOL app to a iPhone if you switch. I am now running the Roberts VII app on my Android phone and tablet and heaven forbid should I one day decide to get an iPhone or iPad I an sure I'll need to purchase the iOS version again.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I bought it years ago on Windows Mobile. I had to buy it again for Android, the licence wasn't transferable

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal