Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: kruger trip 2006 dec 8-12, wow!
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:22 pm 

So, after 5 years visting kruger regulary I saw my first leopard sighting, that too a mother and cub! didnt get enough time to get a decent shot though. but I am still very happy.

first time sighting in birds included striped cuckoo ,jacobin cuckoo and brown headed parrot.

other sightings included lions, rhinos, elephants, buffalos, waterbuck, impis, kudus etc

birds included brown snake eagles, red bishop, bee-eaters, larks, blue waxbill, giant king fisher, pied king fisher, woodland kingfisher, hippos etc.

http://www.pbase.com/paulbright/image/71588797
http://www.pbase.com/paulbright/image/71588799
http://www.pbase.com/paulbright/image/71557699
http://www.pbase.com/paulbright/image/71557700
http://www.pbase.com/paulbright/image/71557701
http://www.pbase.com/paulbright/image/71557702

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The time is close now :D .

Has anyone seen anything noteworthy in the area recently ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:56 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

No

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
bert wrote:
No
:funny: Bucky, go for all the little loops on the Kanniedood Dam and take often a look on the Low Water bridge for Kingfishers. These are great places for all kind of birds and I am sure, with your eye's, you will see so much over there that your trip report will even become bigger than ours.Don't forget the Red Rocks and Mphongolo loop near Sirheni.Have a great time and lots of luck, Nico :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The low water bridge at Shingwedzi must be one of the most productive spots for birds in Kruger. If you park on the northen side just before the bridge (ie. so people can get past you) you will have bits of bush, flowing water as well as mud banks to view.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I did post somewhere else but forgot where :redface:
If you exit out the back gate and turn right (Not down river road) just behind the camp there is an area of open grass, very good for coursers, both Temminck's and Bronze Winged but only either early or late afternoon for BW.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:38 pm 

Thats right I've seen Bronze Winged Courser there and one year that whole area was under water from LOTS of rain and there were a pair of Painted Snipe and a Dwarf Bittern as well and the begging Verreaux Eagle Owl (Juv) in the tree above.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As some have mentioned, the Collared Palm Thrush in Shingwedzi is indeed a Mega tick for South Africa. I have an interesting story to tell about this bird.

In October of last year I went to the Victoria Falls standing on a life list of 699 (all South African). I had tried very hard to reach 700 in South Africa before hitting any of the neigbouring countries but I just could not get no 700 in time.

Either way, the very first bird that I identify in Vic Falls turns out to be the Collared Palm Thrush and my 700th bird (just a pity it wasn't in South Africa). I picked up a few more lifers during the trip but my South African life list is still on 699.

So in December we go to Kruger. In the Pafuri area I had a long shot at 5 possible lifers but failed with all of them - aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!! In Shingwedzi though I did pick up the Collared Palm Thrush bringing my South African list to 700 with exactly the same bird that rought my Southern Africa list to 700. At least that was some sort of consolation having not picked up a single lifer.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
deefstes, was that palm thrush as easy as 1-2-3, or did you have to work to get it? Are they normally still around at the start of Feb?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Johan van Rensburg wrote:
deefstes, was that palm thrush as easy as 1-2-3, or did you have to work to get it? Are they normally still around at the start of Feb?

I asked the lady at reception and she pointed me towards the picnic area where I found it after some walking around so no, I didn't really work very hard for it. I would probably have if I didn't ask at reception.

I'm not sure about their movements. The CPT is supposed to be a resident bird so I don't know what this moving into Shingwedi in breeding season is all about. If anything, I would have expected juveniles to move into marginal distribution range after breeding season.

Either way, the breeding season for CPT extends into March so I would think that early Feb would still be a good time to get them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We got them at the gate leading from the camp to the staff quarters at Shingwedzi in late Feb last year.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:03 pm 

I saw my first Collared Palm Thrush 2 years ago in a small tree adjacent to hut 45. I saw 2 in the palm tree circle past reception about 2 weeks ago...Always nice seeing that bird which has almost become a dead cert in Shingwedzi camp which made my 20 year resighting of the Racket tailed Roller near Punda a bigger tick for me this last trip because of the bigger search area and the mobility of these Rollers in the extreme South of their distribution.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:47 pm 

I like this idea, so to start off here are my more interesting sightings from two visits to Skukuza in December (7th to 13th and 27th to 30th). All seen either within the camp boundary or on the river directly in front:
Black Stork, Crowned Plover, Greenshank, Verreaux's Eagle-Owl, African Palm-Swift, Trumpeter Hornbill, Malachite Kingfisher, Bearded Scrub-Robin, White-browed Robin-Chat, White-throated Robin-Chat (day use area), Sombre Greenbul, Grey Tit-Flycatcher, Willow Warbler, Red-faced Cisticola, Scarlet-chested, Collared and White-bellied Sunbirds, Thick-billed Weaver, Red-billed Firefinch, Red Bishop, Bronze and Red-backed Mannikins.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sorry a bit late but here it is. (Skukuza Area)
Anyone going to the park in the near future who still needs Woodland KF, you are def going to see it. Almost every second tree had one in it. Purple crested Turacos are also very commom.
Birding in Skukuza camp proved the best with loads of Cuckoos - Red-Chested, Diedericks, Levaillants, Black and Jacobins all present.
Along the river fence line there are loads of both Red Backed and Bronze Mannikins.
Stop and look in all the trees along the river as there are some specials like Eremomelas, Dark Capped Yellow Warblers and a host of other Warblers.
The train bridge at dusk also had Bat Hawks and Eurasian Hobby's.
Camp also had Greater & Lesser Honeyguides and
a night walk around camp had Barn (near restaurant) and Spotted Eagle Owls on chalet roofs. Although I never saw any I heard plenty nighjars down near the river.
I also heard some Rails and Snipes in the reeds along the river so if you are up to it a walk along the fence line just before sunrise could have a few nice surprises.
Lake Panic had almost every Heron from little Green Backed to big Goliaths. Loads of Jacanas and again if you can get there just before sunrise a few Crakes are a big possibility.
Violet Backed Starlings are also very common at the moment as are Carmine BE.
I do have a more detailed trip report if anyone is interested.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:17 am 

Birds seen from the Matambeni bird hide (Engelhard Dam), 16th December 2006:

Squacco Heron, Black Heron, African Spoonbill, Eqyptian Goose, Spur-winged Goose, White-faced Duck, African Jacana, Black-winged Stilt, Collared Pratincole, European Bee-eater, White-fronted Bee-eater, Burchell's Coucal, Speckled Mousebird, Acacia Pied-Barbet, African Paradise-Flycatcher, Spectacled Weaver.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next