Skip to Content

Identification Help - LBJs

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread postby arks » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Albert wrote:Non-breeding/female Southern Red Bishop? Buff/yellowish eyebrow. streaking underneath and quite a short tail. But then again, in January I would expect the male to be in breeding plumage? So female then?

My 2 cents....

Thanks for the suggestion, Albert, but there were no red bishops -- at least in breeding plummage -- around at all, which is why I was thinking of alternatives ... But then again .... :hmz:

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one?
arks wrote:I'm struggling with this one :wall: possibly a female yellowfronted canary or even a female (or nonbreeding) yellow bishop? But both of those should have a yellow rump and I can't see the rump on this bird :roll: Am I missing something obvious?

Seen in my garden in Darling in January 2015.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:27 am

:lol: :lol: this is all very confusing and exceptionally frustrating at the same time as I cannot see most of the photos being posted and I am unable to log on to the forum.

My Lark comment was in reply to Karin's bird 2 pages ago.

Anyhoo.

Karin's Bronkhorstspruit bird is certainly a pipit. Which one is a tough question and it would take a brave man to distinguish between Long-billed and African especially when the retrice on the tail seems more white(African) than buff(Long-billed). :wall:
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Karin Mitton
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:43 am

wildtuinman wrote:Karin's Bronkhorstspruit bird is certainly a pipit. Which one is a tough question and it would take a brave man to distinguish between Long-billed and African especially when the retrice on the tail seems more white(African) than buff(Long-billed). :wall:

Thank you - I will study both in a bit more detail and see if I can get closer to a positive ID. Long-billed would be a lifer, but I'd rather leave it as unidentified than make the wrong ID (but it would be a shame to leave such a pretty bird without an ID!).

I am also getting a new bird book soon :dance: :dance: :dance: maybe I'll find the answer there!

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”