Skip to Content

Identification Help - LBJs

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread postby arks » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks SO much for your help with these, Johan. So more of "the usual" it is with these (I often assume that, but sometimes become curious, wondering if just maybe they might not be). As for #2, it will have to remain a mystery. The pix were not shot thru a window, but it was indeed a very wet day! Thanks again for your help, as always, much appreciated! :gflower: :gflower:

Johan van Rensburg wrote:So arks sent a PM for help... :lol: :shock: :redface:

Firstly let me scuttle the concept of “Long-tailed pipit” being a valid species. Although “discovered” and described in 1996 as a new species, recent research suggests it is the same species as Buffy...

The area where these birds were seen helps a bit to narrow down possibilities... African, buffy, A. Rock, long-billed and plain-backed pipits are your choices.

Starting with #3: I think you’ll agree that the outer tail feathers on this bird is white, diagnostic of (out of the selection!) African pipit. So, that one is out of the way!

Next, looking at #1: Mottled back, so we can scratch plain-backed and buffy. My overall impression is African pipit and the following features are in support: the strong facial mask, bold but less extensive than breast streaking long-billed, well defined malar stripes and a whiter belly than what one can expect to see on a long-billed pipit. Unfortunately the outer tail feathers cannot be seen well enough to make a call on colour.

#2 is tough…we have had the conversation about shots through windows (this is what it looks like to me with the detail all washed-out). The bird is wet to boot! :lol:

Anyhow, the shape and general impression is not that of African rock pipit. In jest I would say that if it is not on a rock, it isn’t a rock pipit!

Can we park this one for a bit longer?
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby salamanda » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:32 am

Is this bird a Longclaw? If it is, there is indication of an orange(?) [or even rosy :wink: ] throat but no colouring across the breast. can someone please help with the ID? it was seen in iMfolozi, KZN, this month.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Philip1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 am

:) The body and legs look like a Longclaw, but the body not colourful enough. :hmz: :think:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”