Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:05 pm 

Thanks .. what about these? Spotted near Plettenberg Bay.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

basde_vos wrote:
Thanks .. what about these? Spotted near Plettenberg Bay.

I'm don't bird along the coast as often as I'd have liked to so I'm not intimately familiar with the extent of the various species' distribution ranges. The reason I'm saying is is because I can't rule out that there might be a Crowned Cormorant present somewhere in your picture (but I think Plet might be out of range).

Either way, the majority of your birds are Cape Cormorants.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Saw those exact birds! wherent they at the Knysna heads??

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:50 am 

Batmad wrote:
Saw those exact birds! wherent they at the Knysna heads??

Could very well be true. I saw them at the Robbeberg Reserve near Plet. But logically; they should then also live near Knysna (30km).

Bas

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

probaly also a breeding colony at the Knysna Heads :hmz:

Schweeeeet! :dance:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject: Cape cormorant
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Though looking like nondescript black birds from afar, at close range the black plumage of a breeding adult Cape cormorant, Phalacrocorax capensis, has an iridescent sheen like with this bird. The eyes of this cormorant are one of the most striking in the bird kingdom with exquisite turquoise coloured irises surrounded by blue beads on the eyelids.

Cape Cormorants are endemic to southern Africa. They are abundant on the west coast but less common on the east coast of southern Africa. Cape Cormorants breed on offshore islands, cliffs, rocks and artificial structures such as jetties, platforms and even moored fishing vessels and yachts. They construct shallow nests using seaweed, sticks and guano, and nest in dense colonies at 'pecking distance' from one another. At Bird Island, Lamberts Bay, special breeding platforms have been erected for cormorants and both the Cape and white-breasted cormorants have made full use of this initiative, often building two nests on one platform.

There was no sign of this little critter earlier in the day... I can only assume that it was under the duvet...

Ringing records show that the Cape cormorant breeds up to 10 years into its life, making its lifespan possibly around 12 – 15 years. In spite of the last estimate of its population size being at 1 000 000, the IUCN classifies it as “Near Threatened” because of ongoing pollution from oil slicks, disturbance to stocks of its prey and pathogen or parasite increases. In a 15-year period the breeding population shrunk from 277 032 pairs to only 72 000 pairs by 1996.

These cormorants generally feed within 10-15 km of the shoreline, preying on Pelagic Goby, Cape Anchovy, Pilchard and Cape Horse Mackerel.

Post subject: Re: Cape cormorant
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Very interesting, JvR, I'd no idea about those amazing blue eyes :shock: (Note to self: must look at cormorants FAR more closely infuture :redface: ) And how nice to have a chickie surprise :wink: :D