SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ellies & Lions
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Fatcat wrote:
Now here is a tricky one for you. How many km's of driving can one do on decent roads there ? ie (100km of game viewing roads in Pilanesberg)

The whole of the area where Bontle campsite is situated is sedan friendly. The network of roads is +- 30km if it was stretched out in a straight line. It is a relative small area, well stocked with game, including white rhino, tsessebe and sable antelope.

The drive up to the mountain top (20km) is tarred all the way and also sedan friendly but very narrow and steep at places. (Take note that this drive is in the Greater Park area and not where Bontle is situated.) You are allowed to go up the mountain if you camp at Bontle - just present your permit at the gate.

During heavy rains at Bontle, one may encounter stretches of road not friendly to sedans. All tourist routes have been compacted during construction and if one stays on the designated roads, one should experience a smooth ride all the way. But sometimes - fun happens... :)

To wrap up: PlusMinus(+-) 50km of road to explore. If one adds another 20km for the descend from the mountain(the view is completely different from that of the ascend!) then we end up with 70km.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If you use a GARMIN GPS:

use http://www.tracks4africa.com click on TA4MAPS and you can download a complete card of southern Africa. I don't know how exact the coordinates are but there is a lot of information given. As well as the roads inside the park(s).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:11 pm 

Might be a silly question, but what would i need to take with me just for a one night stay at the Bontle Camp sight....

I suppose just a Tent and sleeping bag etc?

:lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am in the planning phase of my 2008 holiday (leaving in 2 weeks time to Kgalagadi for my 2007 break). I'm thinking of going with my caravan next year and to include Marakele - never been there before.

Looking at various maps it seems as if most of the road from Thabazimbi to Marakele is tarred - but not all of it. Is this indeed the case? I understand that Bontle Camping Site is just behind Reception. Is the gravel part of the road (up to Bontle) managable for a conventional caravan?

I will appreciate input.

Post subject: CAMPING @ MARAKELE
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Stoffel
The road is tarred up to the entrance of Marakele for Bontle Campsite. The campsite is very near to the entrance and the gravel road was, for the times we have been camping there, in a good condition. We are also using a conventional caravan. We are camping there this coming long weekend and I will post a trip report.
It will be nice though if you tow with a four by four, otherwise you will miss out on the four by four route.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks naomi.

Unfortunately I do not possess a 4x4. I tow with a double cab 4x2.

Post subject: Marakele Camping
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:33 pm 

Hi to all.
Can anyone who has visited the camps (Bontele and Tlopi) at Marakele elaborate on the quality (bush experience) of them. Is the Bontele camp like a caravanpark type camping in your own tent, and what is the condition thereof? (private, view, cramped, noisy etc.)

I plan to spend a midweek in October (for my 50th birhday) at Marakele (most possibly in the Tlopi Tented Camp depending on availability) and want the best option for peace and tranquility I can get.

Can anyone reccomend a Tlopi Tent number which has a good view or other advantages for birding?

Thank you all in advance.
GP

Post subject: Marakele camping
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:37 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you plan to spend a midweek, you probably will have the place to yourself, especially if you stay in Bontle. Personally have never stayed in Tlopi, but all the tents face onto the dam. They are, however situated quite close to each other. Read through the other threads on Marakele for more info.
Camped in Bontle regularly for the past couple of years and enjoyed it tremendously every time. Even if the campsite is fully booked it does not feel crowded and the fact that it is not fenced, is an added bonus.
Incidently, does anybody know if the campsite will be fenced after the opening of the tunnel between the two parts of the Park?

Post subject: Marakele camping
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:00 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Naomi/Gerhardus

Both Bontle camping site and Tlopi tented camp are the best place to be in SANParks. Bontle camping site gives you a true wilderness experience overlooking a borehole and game species pass by your tent/caravan to a waterhole and you can watch them drinking from your camp there is no intention to fence out the camping site at all. the subway will be officially opened on the 18 September 2007 to link the two portions of the Park. whereas Tlopi tented camp gives you a scenery you'll never regret for the rest of your life, overlooking Modikela koppie in the north, the camp is well located along the riverine vegetation of the bushveld with more interesting plant species which are unique to the area. The Motlopi dam attract a wide variety of birds species which you can watch them either sitting in your veranda or while sleeping inside the tent.

Post subject: Re: Marakele Camping
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:06 am 

Gerhardus Petrus wrote:
Can anyone who has visited the camps (Bontele and Tlopi) at Marakele elaborate on the quality (bush experience) of them.

Hi GP.

Have a look at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18205 for my trip report of Marakele (End October 2007).

Cheers

Post subject: Best Camp Sites Marakele
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 am 

Visiting Marakele soon and staying at Bontle. Suggestions on best sites please.
Thanks,
Lynda

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 am 

Hi Lynda,

As you drive into Bontle, turn left and look at the first few sites. Great views of the waterhole.

Particularly, look for the site with trees and a great big ant hill (I think it's Nr. 3 or 4)

Cheers

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:20 pm 

Hey Lynda,

How did your trip go? I'd be very keen to hear if it's still so green.

Cheers

Richard

Post subject: Hide/s
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:06 pm 

Richard, are there any in Marakele?

Post subject: Re: Hide/s
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:28 am 

Jeffrey52 wrote:
Richard, are there any in Marakele?

Hi Jeffrey52,

Not sure if this is aimed at me, but any what? (Sorry, but don't understand the question)

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next