Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Worries about Mapungubwe.
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lesego, please carry the following message onto Divhani:
I must say thank you to Divhani for responding to my concerns. Thank you especially for the kind trend in your response. It is refreshing. Let's hope all the concerns raised can be resolved soon. At least from the response it seems as though Sanparks is already aware of all the issues and is doing something about it.

As a manager at a well-known South African conservation NGO, I appreciate the difficulties and budget constraints involved in conservation work so all the best to Sanparks in driving this transfrontier project.

17-18 Dec 2012 Satara
19-22 Dec 2012 Shingwedzi
23 Dec 2012 Punda Maria

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Agreed... :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:35 pm 

Mapungubwe is a very special place for me personally and I really enjoyed the times I spent there in the past. It is therefore with great concern that I read about the (persisting) problems at the confluence area. I have experienced this exact same circumstances when last I was there in 2010. It was also groups in buses that left the place looking like a garbage heap. Bottles, bags and lunch wrappings were strewn all over. I reported it at the main gate reception, but got the feeling that the personnel on duty was not really concerned.

The park management must surely for a long time have been aware of this problem, and should have put measures in place to manage/stop it. For instance, seeing that this is obviously happening frequently, the park should have sufficient and capable officials on duty to properly control such groups. Furthermore - if I misbehave in any national park, I will be blacklisted (I think). Please correct me if I am wrong. Any form of misbehavior of such groups, should therefore also result in a ban from the park.

Apologies if I come across rather strong on this, but we really love Mapungubwe and spend hours at the confluence area just enjoying the surroundings and the silence.