Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Golden Gate: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm 

This morning I booked 4 nights with our caravan in the Reenen Rest camp for March next year, but reading some posts re the traffic through the camp and the state of the ablutions, I think it is best to cancel.

Has anybody been there lately? Is it still a problem?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:46 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

It has never been a real problem!

Yes, there is traffic next to the camp, and unfortunately the road on is laid out with many bends, so (I admit) perfect for driving a motorbike on.
Those come during the day though, while you are out hiking or having a drive. And even if you are in camp, they fill up their tanks, visit the shop, and are gone again.
No reason at all not to go!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bundi,

I stayed at Glen Reenen camp site in 2011 in March over a long weekend. The park is open 24 hours a day and if you look on a map you can clearly see the advantage for taxis to follow this route from Clarens to Qwa-Qwa.

Besides the taxis passing trucks use this route through out the night. Speed bumps may slow them down, but that is where the problem comes in. Long before the truck pass the campsite and after passing it you can hear it driving over the speed bumps repeating a few times. Just as soon as you sleeping again the next truck comes passed.

Maybe those sleeping in chalets are not that much effected, but definitely in a tent the road is a disturbance for peace and quiet time.

I've been visiting the park since 1983 and if it was not for the road we would have visit more often. When we visit again we will try to book the cabins at the Highlands Mountain retreat or try out the farm house, but about camping I will think twice. The only problem is that we love camping and might book again. Its like a person hiking the Fish River canyon. When you finish the last km and drink your beer at Ais-Ais you promise not to do it again, but a few years later you do the same trip over.

Golden Gate can be a great outing and maybe you will experience it differently. The ablution were fine for me as far as my memory goes and the camping area is a lovely spot and nice to visit before the winter cold. If you very energetic you will love all the trails and even the swim in the pool. So I won't say cancell, because you can still have a great time and maybe you not such a light sleeper as me that hears every movement in the camp.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Some feedback from my last post...we enjoyed our stay in the Highlands Mountain Retreat immensely!
To see some of my photos taken during our trip, check out the TR here:

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=63355

:dance: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:42 pm 

Hi, we want to book 2 nights camping at Golden Gate next year September 2013. I shall like to know if it is ok for camping that time of the year or do you think it is best to book a chalet? Has never before visit Golden Gate. We are from Paarl and book 16 nights at KNP and has think that it will be nice to visit Golden Gate when we return home. :think:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:53 pm 

A visit to GG on your way from KNP is really a great idea, and will be worth while.

A couple of thoughts from me re the camping:

Golden Gate can be very cold at night, and I think that could be the case in Sept ... so do you enjoy camping in the cold, and will you be equipped with enough bedding etc if you are coming from a warmer area like KNP.

We have camped there in May, and it was cold.

The camping area is lovely, and very pretty and you can camp in a secluded spot away from the road through the park.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:40 pm 

Hi, thanks for answering my question. We always take our heater with us. We visited Mountain Zebra in September and know that in the karoo the nights are very cold. Warm nighties and extra blankets. Hope it will help us

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:27 pm 

Hello

I hope somebody can help me. We book 2 nights at Golden Gate in September this year. We will depart from Pretoriuskop (Kruger National Park) to Golden Gate but we are not sure which road to take to Golden Gate. Can you please help me with the best and quickest road to get to Golden Gate. We don't have any idea how the conditons of the roads in that area is.

I will appreciate it very much if someone could help me.

Fynbos

Post subject: Golden Gate - First time visit
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 am 

Hi

Any tips or advice for a first time visit to the golden gate. Entering the park on the 26 april and leaving the 1 may. Looking for things to do and sights to see.

Thanks beforehand

Post subject: Re: Golden Gate - First time visit
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi W1twOlf

Golden Gate is a beautiful Park, the scenery is just amazing in particular during autumn. Our list of things to do and see include:

1) Looking for the Oribi’s – they can sometimes be seen from the Glen Reenen camp.
2) Driving the two game/scenic drives that are available from the Glen Reenen rest camp.
3) Doing the walks that is available – information and maps are available at the reception office in Glen Reenen camp.
4) Visiting the nearby town of Clarens
5) Visiting the van Rheenen family grave yard.
6) The Brandwag Buttress is lit at night and visible from some of the accommodation in Glen Reenen camp - very impressive.
7) Looking for the Black Wildebeest.
8) Having breakfast, lunch or dinner at least once at the Golden Gate Hotel.

Those are just some of the things to do – Enjoy your visit.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Visit the Vulture Restaurant where a hide is now open. 8) We've been extremely lucky in seeing Bearded Vultures (Lammergeiers) from here more often than not.

Driving back to the main road, keep an eye out for the jackal den on your right. She (he) often feeds on the carcasses.

Visit the Basotho Cultural Village. Locals sell their homemade articles there and there are tours taking you back to what things were like a very long time ago.

Definitely visit Clarens. A short piece of advice - look for the Artists' Cafe on your left just before you go around the Village Green.

Have lunch or drinks in the restaurant at the Brandwag Hotel. 8) Hotel is mighty impressive and we've always
found the food good and well-priced.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 pm 

Thank you. Will definitely visit Clarens. We are staying in the Basotho Cultural Village.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

w1tw0lf, if its your thing, definitely do some white-water rafting on the As river, outside Clarens. All the operators have offices in Clarens. It is well worth it.
You can also check the trip report linked in my signature

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 am 

Dear Fynbos,

we have been recently to Golden Gate park and thus recommend to stay on the N3 as long as possible (ie untill Harrismith) if you are driving in the dark and/or with a smaller car (as in no 4x4 for instance). This means you will pay R50 more for another toll road stretch on the highway, but you avoid the R26, which is not too bad, but still has in certain areas many potholes (not fun at night or in a small car).

The road in Golden Gate park is totally fine and can be driven on day and night! Enjoy your trip!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi 'mites

I'll be in Golden gate at the end of next july. :D
I'd like to book a log cottage at the Highlands Mountain retreat.
Do we need a 4x4 to reach the camp and in case of snow do they close sometimes the road ?
I think I will drive a 2x4.

2014:
Golden Gate july 25th-27th,
Cambedoo july 30th-31th,
MZNP august 1st-4th,
Addo august 5-8th,
Tsitsikamma Storms River Mouth august 9th-11th ,Ebb and Flow : 12th-15th
Bontebok:16-17th
Agulhas:18th

2015 : KTP booked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next