Skip to Content

Golden Gate: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

ursa

Highlands parking Golden Gate

Unread postby ursa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Someone told us that you can't park your car next to your chalet at Highlands Mountain Retreat at Golden Gate. Is this true or not? If so, how far would the car be from the chalets? I ask because we tend to "camp" out of our car even when we stay in chalets, and don't really want to have to lug ammo boxes and fridges long distances from the car to the chalet. Or can you at least drive your car to the chalet to unpack it and then take it back to the parking area somewhere else? Can anyone who has stayed there give a report that will help us? Thanks

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Highlands parking Golden Gate

Unread postby ndloti » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:14 pm

If I recall , the layout and terrain is such that you will have to carry some distance from the car , depending on the unit you are in .
A map can be viewed on the website , go the homepage , click on availability , then Golden Gate , then Highlands M R , then click on the map bar on the left of the page . I assume reception at G G will tell you what hut has been allocated .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

ursa

Unread postby ursa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:42 am

Thanks ndloti. However, it was unclear from the map what the distances were and whether you could drive to the chalet to unpack, so I emailed the park and got a reply so quickly that I'm very impressed. It appears that the shortest distance from the carpark is about 10 metres, the other chalets are a bit further than that. As you thought, they could even tell me which chalet was reserved for us! Hooray for Sipho Zulu, the Hospitality Manager.
Last edited by ursa on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:22 am

You can't actually drive right up to the chalets , but some are closer to the central parking area than others .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

CaliforniaGirl

Unread postby CaliforniaGirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:44 pm

We stayed at Highlands Mtn at New Years. Yes, there is a central parking area, but some people in the family cabins drove up close to their units to unload, then back to the central parking. The smaller cabins are all accessed from paths out of the central parking. Unless you are in #5 (as we were) there is a climb out of the parking area to the cabin that is not evident from the map. Be prepared for fabulous views :cam: , it's a spectacular location. And you are correct--the staff is great.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:54 pm

When we stayed at Highlands in Oct last year, it was a bit of a walk for us to our chalet .... pic here.
Sawubona
Dalene

Guinea Pig
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Rondavels at Golden Gate.

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:11 pm

A question from a family member - do the rondavels at Golden Gate have braai facilities outside?
Last edited by Guinea Pig on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a quest to visit 9 new National Parks in October. :dance:

CuriousCanadian

Re: Query re Rondavels at Golden Gate.

Unread postby CuriousCanadian » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi GP...ours did and we had numbers 12 & 13.....they were skottle braais...

:)
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

Guinea Pig

Re: Rondavels at Golden Gate.

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:43 pm

My brother and sister-in-law returned today, two happy visitors. 8) The Rondavel far exceeded their expectations.

They didn't see much animals - Black wildebeest and Springbok on the Generaalskop trail. 2 Black-backed Jackal on the Oribi Loop. A Marsh mongoose ran around the rondavels, has its 'nest' in the nearby creek.

Not birders, so yes, they saw a green one, a yellow one and a huge black one flying overhead. :lol:

They did all the hiking trails. Found them in great condition. Wodehouse being the toughest coming down from the Weather station with loose shale. They kind of used their behinds to get down. :lol: It was on the Wodehouse Trail that they had a narrow escape with a Puffadder. It's nest/hole is just about on the path and concentrating on not losing her footing my SIL almost stepped on it. A fully grown one.

Someone asked where to park at the Highlands Mountain Retreat? Not adviseable going up there by Sedan. They left the car at the bottom and hiked up. With a 4x4 or high ground clearance you can get quite close. Apparently the view towards Qwa-Qwa makes it worth the while.

Complaints? None whatsover. 8) They were even told where to vote in the park. The voting station was at the Gladstone Admin Offices where you organize horse trails.

Boorgatspook

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:53 pm

:clap: and those that haven't seen Golden Gate in winter months - its magical!!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:53 pm

I think that it is a very under-rated Park. For hiking enthusiasts, it's a must. I went a few times when my children were young and they loved to explore the various trails.

We always stayed in the self catering chalets where we had some of the most majestic views. They were very well equiped and extremely comfortable.

It is not a place for dramatic animals sightings. I think that I would probably enjoy it a lot more now. When taking small children, there is always the pressure to keep them entertained. Now I would have the pleasure of just being able to take in the unique scenery without any other responsibility.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:51 am

Don't cuddle me!
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:08 am

The photographs mostly speak for themselves. 8)

The third photograph was taken in Echo Ravine only accessible on foot. The tiny blue blob in the back of the ravine? That's Maddog - have a look at the next photograph. It shows you how awesome those formations are.

The fourth photograph was taken at the start of the trails. Clearly marked. The two adventurers took photos before starting each hiking trail for the record.

The last one is the infamous Puffadder. Notice the hole in the ground by its tail? That's its home.

CuriousCanadian

Unread postby CuriousCanadian » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Wonderful!!!! It is such a beautiful park!!!! :clap:

Thanks!!! :D
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

JCM

Re: Golden Gate: ADVICE

Unread postby JCM » Tue May 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Great images DQ & Guinea Pig!!!
Was there during easter weekend, and had such a wonderful time with family & kids ( trails , walks etc.) That pufadder looks ready to strike....it won't be that infamous if it succeeds :big_eyes:
GG is packed with a variety of different animals & birds...some of my sightings include: bearded vulture, rock kestrel, grassbird, redwinged starlings to name a few. I also spotted : eland, black wildebeest, babbons, zebra and mountain reedbuck. :thumbs_up:

Return to “Northern Parks”