Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Marakele: ANIMALS
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:04 am 

Hello, I visited Marakele National Park (both the small area, and the much wilder and exciting bigger area) in July 2003.
At that time, the wild dogs used to live in a separate boma, and were not visible by non-allowed visitors.
Do you mean they have been now released in the large area ? That would be great !!!

Owl wrote:
Dear Erwin,

The whole of kwaggasvlakte where Bontle campsite is situated is sedan friendly. The network of pathways is probably about 30km if it was all stretched out in a straight line. It is a small area, but well stocked with game, including tsessebe, sable and white rhino.

However the highlight of the park is the drive up to the towers on the mountain top. This road is tarred the whole way. (It used to be the service road for the Sentec towers on the mountain top). Although it is only 20.5km of tar from the public dirt road to the mountain top, the road is very narrow and steep and it will take you at least an hour each way, and more likely alot more if you are game viewing and birdwatching.

The track starts off in bushveld, where rhino and other general game may be seen. Then it moves past a grassy vlei area, where common and mountain reedbuck, eland and red hartebeest may well be seen. The the steep climb starts, and klipspringer should be seen, plus the afore mentioned species as one looks back over the vlei. Up on the mountain top rock hyrax (dassie), elephant shrew and baboon are likely, and the montane birds are very tame and inquisitive. Cape Vultures and possibly jackal buzzard and verreaux's eagle will soar overhead.

While Tlopi Safari Tent Camp can be reached easily in a sedan, the roads leading from the camp and linking up with the tar road are 4x4 (or 2x4 with high clearance). However one can sit on the deck of one's unit and see what game comes to drink. The Wild Dog were active at the dam recently. Elephant used to be more evident here, but most of them have migrated over the mountain to Marakele PTY Ltd which is owned by a Dutch businessman, who helped SANParks finance acquiring additional land and erecting fencing. Although this part of the park is currently off limits to visitors to the National Park, the road to Hoopdal is a public road that passes along the boundary fence. It is regular to see elephant, cheetah and wild dog along this road.
:?: :arrow:

Post subject: Wild Dog
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:01 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Gindt,

When most animals are translocated between parks they are kept in bomas for a short period - up to a few months to a) acclimatise to their new home and b) be monitored for disease.

The Marakele Wild Dog were released into the park proper I think in November 2003 (don't quote me on the exact date) and are doing well. I think I'm right in saying they have split into 2 packs, but one of our animal ecologists would need to comment further. They spend most of their time in the northern reaches of the park, away from the SANParks tourist roads. They are lowever occasionally seen along the fenceline on the Hoopdal road, where they have been recorded using the game fence to help them catch their prey. In December 2004 they moved into the area around the Tlopi Camp and its dam and hence were seen by many lucky park guests.

Post subject: Re: Wild Dog
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:49 am 

Dear Owl,
as you seem to know the park very well, do you know if some "new" animals entered the Marakele park, since the fences between Welgevonden and Marakele were dropped. I think especially to lions that didn't occur as I visited the park in 2003 ?

Owl wrote:
Dear Gindt,

When most animals are translocated between parks they are kept in bomas for a short period - up to a few months to a) acclimatise to their new home and b) be monitored for disease.

The Marakele Wild Dog were released into the park proper I think in November 2003 (don't quote me on the exact date) and are doing well. I think I'm right in saying they have split into 2 packs, but one of our animal ecologists would need to comment further. They spend most of their time in the northern reaches of the park, away from the SANParks tourist roads. They are lowever occasionally seen along the fenceline on the Hoopdal road, where they have been recorded using the game fence to help them catch their prey. In December 2004 they moved into the area around the Tlopi Camp and its dam and hence were seen by many lucky park guests.

Post subject: Marakele Animals
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Everytime I visit Marakele I receive a brochure "Marakele National Park Mammal List". On the list the animals are categorized in orders. The lion (Panthera leo) is mentioned under the order Carnivora.

I 've been there a lot - seen no lions :( (yet?) :?

Are there any real lions in Marakele? When was the last sighting and +- where? (GPS co-ordinates will do) :D

Any comments from our official at Marakele will be welcomed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

12 views - 0 replies??? :cry:

Am I onto something here? :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:02 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Erwin wrote:
12 views - 0 replies??? :cry:

Am I onto something here? :?

I haven't been there ... sorry Erwin ... can't help you on this one.

Post subject: Marakele Lions
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:09 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Erwin,

Marakele does have lion. When the park was first established, intermittently nomadic lion would appear from time to time (presumably wandering in from Botswana). There was a lone female who reputedly lived within the park confines for a couple of years in the late '90s, early 2000s, but was very wary and seldom seen.

Last year, lion were captured in Kgalagadi and held in the boma for a quarantine period. They were released in December, and it is thought they would settle in the more game rich northern plains which fall inside the contractual area of the park, but are administered privately by Marakele PTY Ltd. However 3 lion made there way over the mountain and gave people opening the gate on the way into Tlopi the fright of their life.

I believe they've since moved back to the northern area but are likely to make the occasional roaming appearance in the Tlopi area.

There are also lion in Welgevonding (the private reserve adjacent the National Park) and the intention is to eventually drop the fences and it is hoped there will be a merging of the gene pool of the various lion groups.

Post subject: Road conditions
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:18 pm 
Guru
Guru

Gindt,

The fences have not been dropped with Weldevonding yet, but read the post on lions to Erwin.

I must admit that I only hear intermittent reports on the park here at head office and was only at the park twice last year, so it would be best to contact either the park manager Nicholus (go to Contacts - Find us) or the head of the Marakele Honorary Rangers Ampie Venter (see under contact us under Honorary Rangers) who is a farmer who lives within the park as his homestead was on the land taken over by National Parks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:56 pm 

It would be great if that happened, especially considering the fact that Welgevonden and Marakele are really close compared to places like Kruger and Kgalgadi etc.
btw what is the viewing like at Marakele, i have never been there, but am eager to go as i have heard more and more positive things over time.

Pac

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pac wrote:
btw what is the viewing like at Marakele, i have never been there, but am eager to go as i have heard more and more positive things over time.

Pac

One of our members, Andrew, was there on the 20-22nd Feb '05. Hope to get a report from him as soon as he gets back from honeymoon 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:22 am 

We going to be at Marakele over the easter weekend (25 to 28/03). Never been there before but have heard good this about it. Will let you know what we think.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Where the Marakele Pty Ltd are situated is predominantly on what is classed - 'sweetveld', and thus conducive to higher prey densities and thus amenable to lion presence- lions will chose there first as they have. Once the greater park's population has distributed across whole area, then I think it would be better for visitor to see all over.

regards, wj.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pac wrote:
It would be great if that happened, especially considering the fact that Welgevonden and Marakele are really close compared to places like Kruger and Kgalgadi etc.

Pac

You will see lots of buck and rhino. We saw an elephant. The vultures at the towers are the best.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The following is an example of the danger of elephants, perhaps at Marakele the ellies haven't matured (like the Pilanesberg situation) and are worked up.

Mon, 14 Nov 2005
An American tourist was trampled to death by an elephant in Limpopo last week, police said on Sunday.
Thirty-one-year old Loren Mummy, who was born in South Africa but left when she was 18, was on a visit to the Welgevonden game farm with two
friends from Scotland, Superintendent Ronel Otto said.
They left the huge estate between 5pm and 5.30pm on Thursday in a vehicle with a guide.
They came upon a herd of elephants and the group wanted to go closer so the guide took them closer, Otto said.
But then an elephant charged at them.
The guide tried to stand in the way but the elephant just pushed the guide away and trampled Mummy, who died later.
Police would conduct an inquest into her death to see if anyone can be held responsible.

Owl, when do you think the fences between Welgevonden and Marakele will be dropped? THe sooner the better as its best for the whole sustem :D
How many Wild Dog are roaming there at the moment?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:49 pm 

Hi BunduBoi

They wanted to drop the fences a while back, but there was an un-expected problem.

They found that the Buffalo in Welgevonden had a type of disease which would spread to Marakele. (I am not sure which kind of disease - will find out). They therefore had to remove all the Buffalo from Welgevonden.

Then the veld have to be left standing for two years since ticks can harbour the same illness for that amount of time. After that generation of ticks has died, the fences can be dropped without the danger of spreading the disease to Marakele.

I personally saw 12 dogs in February. But there could be more.

I will ask my contacts at Marakele about the expected time for dropping the fences, as well as the amount of Wild dogs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next