Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Lions in Mapungubwe

Unread postby Vlakvarkvrou » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:42 pm

27 October 2012 in front of our Bungalow (nr 9) at Leokwe Camp

Adansonia

Unread postby Adansonia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Seen on 6 Oct 2012 at Maloutswa Bird Hide (close to Mazhou Camp Site).

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RayK » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi Adansonia,
Great sighting from a great Hide. :thumbs_up: Seems the Lion is wearing a collar so he might be from Mashatu in Botswana.

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby NetEk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:12 am

There was very high levels of traffic from Zim of cattle last year in June, July, They would leave the cattle to wonder to were ever the grazing is then every 3 days or so they would with a big huff & puff come and "fetch" the cattle again chase then back to Zim (just across the river ) and then let them wander again.
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

Remozami

Unread postby Remozami » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi! When we were driving between some mopane bushes in the western side.. we came across 3 lions.. but heck.. their eyes are so different from KNP lions.. we were a VERY foreign sighting to THEM! lol.. :big_eyes:

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby NetEk » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:51 am

Remozami wrote:Hi! When we were driving between some mopane bushes in the western side.. we came across 3 lions.. but heck.. their eyes are so different from KNP lions.. we were a VERY foreign sighting to THEM! lol.. :big_eyes:

When was this?
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

Remozami

Unread postby Remozami » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:26 pm

December 2011

Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tom124 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:45 am

Hi all

I'm heading off tomorrow to join the Conservation Project in Northern Tuli, just across the river from Mapungubwe. Hopefully I'll be spending time with the resident lions on the Botswana side, as well as the leopards and other predators. If I hear anything interesting about movements in the area I'll be sure to let you know!
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:22 am

Tom, what is this project all about, and where will you be staying?

You may well come across this lass, taken in May, 50m from the Limpopo on the Botswana side in Pitsani....

"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 am

Tom124 wrote:Hi all

I'm heading off tomorrow to join the Conservation Project in Northern Tuli, just across the river from Mapungubwe. Hopefully I'll be spending time with the resident lions on the Botswana side, as well as the leopards and other predators. If I hear anything interesting about movements in the area I'll be sure to let you know!

:dance: :dance: :dance: What an opportunity, Tom. We'll keep our eyes and ears WIDE open for any news from you. :thumbs_up:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

giraffee

Unread postby giraffee » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:56 am

Tom124 wrote:Hi all

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: you lucky fish you!
Of all the things I'd been skeptical about, I didn't feel skeptical about this: the wilderness had a clarity that included me. ~Cheryl Strayed

Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tom124 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Yes, I know how lucky I am! Sitting in Frankfurt waiting for my flight to Johannesburg as I type. Scott, I'll be staying at mohave bush camp, and maybe tuli wilderness camp. The project is an amalgamation of the former predator and elephant projects. It involves general conservation work, such as replacing radio collars and recording census data.
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tom124 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi all, sorry it's been a while, but here's what I learnt about the lion population in this area over August. In a nutshell, it's great news. The free-roaming lion population was in dire straits less than a decade ago, but there are currently 39 known individuals in the area, including two tagged at Tuli which are now resident in Mapungubwe - the Duma Boys. It was a wonderful experience, the highlights being discovering both lion and hyaena dens on foot!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:32 am

Tom124 wrote:Hi all, sorry it's been a while, but here's what I learnt about the lion population in this area over August. In a nutshell, it's great news. The free-roaming lion population was in dire straits less than a decade ago, but there are currently 39 known individuals in the area, including two tagged at Tuli which are now resident in Mapungubwe - the Duma Boys. It was a wonderful experience, the highlights being discovering both lion and hyaena dens on foot!

Great to see you around Tom :thumbs_up:

What wonderful news.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

giraffee

Unread postby giraffee » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for the update Tom. Wonderful news. Pray the Duma boys survive the cattle owners. Did you work with Andrei Snyman? great to read about the Mashatu lioness with 4 cubs. 39 lions!! how wonderful!
Of all the things I'd been skeptical about, I didn't feel skeptical about this: the wilderness had a clarity that included me. ~Cheryl Strayed

Return to “Northern Parks”