Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fotomaljohan-A detailed picture in KNP-May 2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The month of May in Cape Town is normally a miserable winter month, BUT in Kruger, on the opposite side of our wonderful country, it is always SUMMER! :dance: :dance: :dance: Hakuna Matata!
The view of our street just shortly before we hit the ‘long’ road – three drivers and right through the night .......

…. destination Sudwala Kraal Lodge, en route to KNP!

The view of the very nice chalets…….

…….and the opposite view over the pool area!

…..and Sudwala’s beautiful gardens and reflection pools!

More views!

Ilse in the ‘Ndebele Village’ at Sudwala Kraal’

The road leading up to the Sudwala Caves

Inside the spectacular caves

….and ancient formations of staligmites!

….deeper and deeper into the caves!

Visiting the Dinosaur Park near the Caves

“Kruger Park” many, many centuries ago!

Long before Lions & Crocs!

.......now for the real thing and on our way to the Crocodile Bridge Entrance to KNP!

Entrance Date: 15th May 2010 and our first two nights at Lower Sabie - coming up next!

DO NOT FORGET:
Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A detailed picture story of our experiences to & in KNP
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ Anja: I tend to agree with you wholeheartedly about the present day Kruger vs Pre-historic Kruger, especially the ablutions and bungalows! LOL

........and now! :dance: :dance: :dance:

We entered KNP at Crocodile Bridge, but we were concerned about the water level on the low water bridge, because it was closed for weeks because of flooding, but when I phoned them the day before, they informed me that it was opened, but still water on the bridge!

Check-in formalities behind, the fun can begin! Apart from a few impalas, this was the first of many Rhinos that we saw in the south near Croc Bridge!

Does this remind you of someone you have seen?

This road (H4-2) to Lower Sabie is my favourite to get me in the Kruger mood in no time! It is like driving through a large zoo. A giraffe crossed the road in front of us and the next moment this Bull elephant appeared from the bush ………

…..and decided that he wants to have a closer look at our Kombi….. we started reversing……and reversing! He gave up after I hoisted a white flag! :big_eyes:

We arrived at LS full of anticipation and very happy.........

........where we celebrated our arrival at this open air restaurant!

We booked into three Tents that was to be our home for the next two nights and may I add that the night sounds were overwhelming right through the night, with the hippos right next to the tent (on the other side of the fence luckily), calling one another as loud as they can!

Next morning we took the S28 south of Lower Sabie and came across this herd of Zebras. All still in their pajamas, but very decent, mind you!

I can not resist taking photos of these amazing animals!

…….and a close-up of the wrong side!

From here we took the S137 to “Duke” waterhole and met some of the famous Duke’s family!

When they saw that I was taking photos, the rest of the family joined the original four ellies!

Then they wanted a complete family photo – uncles, aunts, cousins and grand parents – the whole lot!

……and not far from the happy ellie family on the corner of the S137 and S130, this grumpy old Rhino did not like me taking photos of him!

Then from under a bush on the bottom end of the S82 our first of thirty five lions were looking at us!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:dance: :dance: :dance: Here's some more!

From this first lion sighting we drove slowly towards LS on the S82and saw many giraffes, impalas and other game. These two giraffes looked at us for a short while before they carried on with their mating ritual.

A large group of impalas.

….and a close-up!

Another giraffe next to the same road (S82)

Our second lion sighting near LS on the H4-1 busy with his meal, but we missed the kill! Not a hot photo, but proof enough!

A serious discussion at a local ‘bush summit’………

……..under supervision of this southern yellow-billed Hornbill!

We stopped on the Lower Sabie bridge to wait for sunset, and saw the abundant life in and closer to the water.

Hippo sunset!

….and it gets better!

….so why not take more photos!

The last photo just before the braai a little later at our camp ……..our last evening at LS.

To-morrow we will be travelling via Tsokwane on the H10 to Olifantskop for the next two nights! But first of all, we will again enjoy the Hippo symphony and other bush soloists to-night.

MORE OF THIS COMING UP SOON!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ Elsa: What can I say that has not been said so far? Words and photos says it all!

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Now for the rest of my picture story!

This fellow had to bend low to look into the Kombi.

…..and when he saw all the cameras in the car, he told the Twins to get out of here!

Just after the Mlondozi Dam turn off on the H10 at the Hillside waterhole we stuck it lucky!!! Right in the middle of the road. Our third lion sighting and three more lions for a tally of five lions so far!

Two of them decided to walk towards us!

They appeared hungry and stopped to scan the waterhole at something we could not see!

The third lion (a real gangster by appearance) also came closer!

He walked right passed my open window (I closed it slightly, just for in case) and looked back at what the other two were doing. He was so close to us, that we could see he had an injured left eye.

They settled right in the middle of the road – I suspect that they enjoyed the photographic attention from us and others!

‘Oh my feet are so sore, can’t walk a step further!’

‘…..or maybe just a donation for my hungry children at home?’

‘Aaww……..I’m so tired…… !’

We finally had to squeeze passed them, because Olifantskop was still a long way to go and who knows what will be blocking the road next? A few zebras maybe?

Another view of the zebras

Burchell's Coucal next to the road. (Thank you anne catherine for your kind correction!)

Impala Rams with a nice Blue Wildebeest back ground!

Are they not beautiful – worth a stop, even if you see them frequently but NOT in Cape Town!

‘What do you say, shall we ignore them………those photographers in the Kombi?’

The view from the beautiful Nkumbi Lookout!

Until the next time! :wink: :wink: :wink:

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My sincere acknowlegements goes to RayK; lion queen (yes, there is a story in each photo); Anja ( very lucky to look forward to a June Trip). Thank you for the kind comments and chats!

OK, now with the 'formalities' out of the way, I can concentrate on the publishing of the next episode of my Photo Story! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

After a previous wrong attempt at ID’ing a bird, I will from the outset call on the expert birders (anne Catherine and others) to please ID these cute birds? I will throw in a wild guess that they are possibly a quale of some sort?

Now I know (thanks for the help) they are: Crested Francolins

We HAD to spend some time at another nice lookout – Orpen Dam!

After Orpen, we stopped at Tshokwane for an overdue breakfast!

After our pit stop at Tshokwane Picnic spot, the ‘Drive through’ of the ‘southern most’ baobab was out next attraction.

This interesting root formation and tree at Satara called for a photo.

The cute vervet monkeys entertained us at Satara where we stopped for coffee and snacks.

‘Scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours!’

From Satara we went via Timbavati Picnic spot on the very rewarding S39 (Timbavati Road) to Olifantskop. This is one of our very favourite roads – really like driving through a zoo!

Hippos at the Piet Grobler Dam on the S39

I am of opinion that SANParks can rename this S39 to something like 39Giraffe’S behind every “S” bend!

We had to stop more than what we planned, because of all the animals.

We saw (almost) all the regulars, including Ground Hornbills

A juvenile giraffe and a his young zebra friend.

Another of the many giraffe mother & twins sets that we came across during our visit to KNP on this trip!

……and another view!

Our first view of the amazing Olifants River.

The beauty of Olifants River is that when you zoom in, you can see many animals like this Hippo far down in the river.

Time for a family portrait – Elméne, me, Ilse & Brendon (photo taken by my son Tiaan)

Von Willigh’s Baobab on the S93 to Letaba

…..and another view from the north side!

…….to be continued soon!

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ Bushbuddies: Not to worry about the assumption! Kruger was indeed very green for us as well, especially after our previous visit here in August! (Not to mention KTP)

@ Lowveldboy: Thank you for enjoying my photos and off course,your visit to view all this!

@ anne catherine: I will go for the Crested Francolins as I can not seem to find them in my book - but I will consult another source! I agree with you on the many raptor name and how impossible that seems! Thank you though!

@ Fatcat: I am of opinion that you will find Olifants with more water in than in my pictures. The rainy season is not even completely over yet!

@ Leanawel: 91 days somehow seems much shorter to wait than our more than 180 days as we will be going there again in October God willing!

@ Micetta: Hi there, is it not nice too also see you here in my TR of Kruger and not only in KTP! LOL! Giraffes, I must say, are so photogenic! Thank you for the visit and your kind comments!

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Now let the fun beg.........sorry - continue!

These impalas were running in front of our car for at least a kilometre on the same S92 in the direction of Letaba as we followed them slowly from behind.

What was strange, is that they did not run off into the side of the road off into the bushes, but stayed in the road!

Closer to Letaba, we came across these young waterbuck.

We got out of the car on the Letaba bridge to stretch our legs. One of the few bridges in KNP where one is allowed to ‘alight’ from your vehicle at own risk. We saw this rather large monitor down below.

Again we were surprised to see the abundant water life in the Letaba river – fish, terrapins and more dangerous reptiles.

This depicts a healthy river system

Another family photo with the beautiful Letaba river in the back ground, this time with my son Tiaan in the picture.

From here we went to Letaba for lunch via the short S95 loop where we got lucky when a very large herd of Buffalos crossed the road in front of us (one by one and it seem to last forever) on their way down to the river.

We were surprised at their numbers already down by the river.

Impalas blocking the road!

Finally, Letaba!

The view from the reastaurant

Activities in the dry riverbed.

One of the Letaba big tuskers approaching!

As close as we will ever get to an elephant at the Elephant Museum at Letaba!

More ellies from the N’wananzi Lookout on the opposite side of the mighty Olifants on our way back to Camp for the last night at Olifantskop!

With a sunset like this it surely must be a promise for wonderful sightings to-morrow!
Our last night at Olifants.

We were hardly out of Olifantskop the next morning when our luck produced four beautiful lionesses right next to the road! If the lions outside Lower Sabie were the ‘gangsters’, then these lions were certainly the ‘posh well groomed upper class’! Time for :cam: :cam: :cam:

By the way, these are now our fourth lion sighting in as many days and the grand total now nine so far! The one at the back now became intensely interested in us – which made us a little uncomfortable!

They were also interested in other things!

She was not impressed with us and gave us a mean look!

Like I said – well groomed!

They became restless!

Something attracted this one’s attention.

:wink: :wink: :wink: To be Continued.....only if you comment! LOL!

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:wink: :wink: :wink: I must say that this is hard work - doing a Trip Report! :dance: :dance: :dance: But the reward is off course all you wonderful Forumites visiting and commenting on my humble attempt!

So...........let the fun continue! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

We eventually left the lions after more cars started to pile up.
To-day we were heading south to Skukuza for our next three nights in a family guesthouse. Not too far from the lions we saw this massive bull elephant with flapping ears – coming toward our Kombi.

In the panic to get the car in gear, I accidentally engaged reverse to the horror of my passengers and almost drove right into the large and upset elephant. My family did not speak to me for the next half hour!

After this heart throbbing encounter, I felt more at ease looking at this Longneck on the way to the waterhole.

Then he started his ‘descent’, legs wide apart and down, down, down to the water!

A few zebras crossed the road one by one.

Again some Ground hornbills in the long grass.

White rhinos discussing grazing options for the day!

We stopped at the Kumana dam just passed the ‘southern most baobab’ turnoff for some photos.

Waterbuck and Giraffes!

A breakfast stop at Tshokwane is what is needed now!

……and the ever present (and naughty) vervet monkeys!

The famous Kruger Tablets.

The Sabie River low water bridge.

….and finally we arrived at Skukuza!

SO in front of number 227 Guest House, our abode for the next three nights!

Lake Panic hide is always something special!

Just so that you can get the feeling!

This African Darter always seem to occupy this spot!

A closer view!

…and stretching his wings!

…..and the African Jacana on his favourite perch!

A Goliath Heron checking out the fishing opportunities.

On our way back to camp we decided to go past the Skukuza turnoff and it proved to be a good one! A mating lion pair and our lion tally now at eleven!

Baboon Jogi Guru!

The end of another fantastic day in Paradise!

To be continued sooner rather than later! Haha!

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We started this day with an early morning drive to Renosterkoppies area, but I had to stop for a sunrise photo!

This tree growing in the Renosterkoppies rock, is the proof of faith in action!

We had to wait patiently for these ellies to take their ‘dust bath’ in the road in front of us!

Giraffes playing ‘hide & seek’ with us!

There were no signs of any predators around this kill, only the vultures pecking at it’s eyes! Conclusion: ROAD KILL!

……and the White backed vultures are saying ‘thank you’!

Oh!.......there’s some lions again, another mating pair! Our seventh sighting of lions and the total now 13!

On our way to Berg & Dal for our next two nights, we were stopped at a Kruger Park road block that lasted about a hour!

Right here!

Maybe 400 strong with lots of young ones!

Have not seen this many buffalos yet!

As far as one can see!

We turned in to Afsaal for a pit stop & snacks.

We met the local bushbuck.

Somebody told us they saw African Wild Dogs not far from Afsaal on the S121 (Timfeneni Loop). A first for us and definitely a ‘tick off’ on our wish list, so we left in a hurry and found them in the road.

We could only see three of them, but we were so happy to see them.

They started crossing the road.

Notice the blood on his forehead!

Roadside assistance!

Let me see if you washed your armpits this morning?

A glimpse of yet another mating pair of lions on the side of the road to B&D!

B&D Scorecard: An enormous buffalo herd, mating lions, African Wild Dogs and a Leopard all in the same day – how amazing! Berg & Dal is now our favourite Camp!

Will be back soon!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am again very :D :D :D that you all enjoyed my photo story (so far) and want to say thank you for taking time to read and comment on it! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

@ Micetta: I think you are a professional commentator in the forum pages and it is much appreciated! B&D is certainly tops!!!

@ Leanawel: Ek moet vir jou dankie sê! Thank you for the kind visits!

@ anne catherine: If you read and view my TR, then I feel happy that my bird photo title will be OK! LOL!

@ Flutterby: Thank you again!

@ hotshot: Welcome to my photo story and thank you for commenting!

@ cheetah2111: We also thought about and discussed the possibility of a natural death of the impala! A possibility!

Thank you again for the visit norms and for your kind comments!

@ Bushbuddies: Seeing the Big 5 within 45 minutes, how lucky! Then I think we were lucky! LOL!

@ lion queen: Haha! I'll rather have 35 lions than none at al, what do you say?

@ Wild about cats: Thank you for the compliments and for your punctual visit and comments!

@ Fatcat: Lucky you! I have not been to Tsenze, but from what I heard, it is a great camp! Enjou and remenber the camera and the Spot light!

@ twigga: Welcome tomy Picture story and thanks for your comments!

@ Pikkie: Here it comes- the leopard story! Actuallu very close to B&D on the gravel road! Hope you enjoy it!

...and last, but not the proverbial least @ Anja: Much appreciated!

....and now for the B&D Grand finale! :dance: :dance: :dance:

We only travelled from Skukuza, so we arrived fairly early at B&D, checked in and spent some time in the Camp. It was Tiaan, Ilse & Brendon ’s last night in Kruger. They were to fly back from Kruger International Airport at Nelspruit to Cape Town at mid day to-morrow (Sunday)!

The beautiful swimming pool at B&D.

On our camp walk-a-bout we saw this dwarf mongoose.

Brendon was adamant that we WILL still see our Leopard, so we went on what were to be their last outing before going home. So we took the S110 to the Matjulu waterhole and saw the rest of the dwarf mongoose’s family.

It was getting late and time was running out for the leopard sighting, but two white rhinos at the waterhole made us happy!

Then as we drove back to camp, ‘Lady Luck’ smiled at us, right in front of us across the road! Our prayers were answered!

Then the leopard even stopped for a better photo because the light was getting bad for good photos!

He seemed to be on the hunt so I had to be quick with bad light conditions.

He made a wide circle in the long grass and finally came running back over the road!

We saw the sun go down with a sense of contentment and happiness in our hearts and enjoyed our last braai together discussing our wonderful sightings!

We enjoyed breakfast at the B&D restaurant before taking them to the airport.

Just outside the gate we saw this Marabou Stork.

On our way to the Malelane gate, we came across this male specimen King of the jungle.

We could not wait long and could not see his ‘bride’, because we thought it could have been a mating pair!

We arrived at a very modern and impressive Nelspruit Airport. Remember it was just prior to the World Cup and Nelspruit was one of the chosen cities - Mbombela Stadium!

Checking in!

Boarding passes please!

After we said good-bye and they had left, we went back to B&D via the Malelane gate as quickly as we possibly could!

Not far from B&D, the mating pair were in the same area where we saw them earlier to-day, right in the middle of the road We had the prime spot with the lions right in front of us! We had all the time in the world. I must say that the male lion appeared rather tired by now. Flat on his side!

Since I have not counted the lions of our last two sightings (and want to be fair about it), our total now is 15 lions and our ninth lion sighting!

Indeed a pose of a King – Thinking about the future!

Love is…….comforting him when he is tired!

“It is getting late, what shall we do to-night?”

We went back to B&D camp for our last night and counted our blessings as the sun went down!

Next up – four Gorgeous nights in lion country – SATARA!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Let me make my Thank You's brief this evening! BUT you all know by now how much I appreciate your comments in my TR! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Time is of the essence now! :wink: :wink: :wink:

We are taking on the long road to Satara, but we are not in any hurry to get there! I will however make the trip shorter for you – so here goes!

These two were really sad to see us leave B&D!

Even this tortoise tried to stop us getting away from B&D!

Breakfast at Tshokwane!

They joined us for breakfast without an invitation!

I was just pulling your leg when I said they also invited you for breakfast.

Waterbuck at Mazithi Dam north of Tshokwane.

A saddle-billed Stork at the Sweni bridge on the H1-3

Satara restaurant area.

Our bungalow for the next four nights and the fridges now have ‘monkey free’ steel doors in front of them!

The circle “E” bungalows.

Our first evening at Satara – Braai time!

Next morning we were on our way to the famous S100, but alas, no cats. We had to wait for the zebra to cross the road!

Some pictures of what we came across.

A single buffalo

….and a very young giraffe twins!

Reach out for the highest!

I have never seen Marabou stork ‘chickens’! How lucky!

Siamese twins!

A Marabou Stork with one leg…..near N’wanetsi!

The N’wanetsi Picnic site is certainly a very nice place for a brunch.

The view from the lookout!

We had tea at the Sonop Dam and a few friends came to visit!

This is one of the (many) reasons why we like it so much in Kruger

We took the main tarred road north of Satara and saw a few cars on the side of the road. We stopped and looked in the general direction where we thought everyone else were looking! Six lions on the left!

Like being in a drive through restaurant ‘checking’ out the menu!

A few cars pulled up from the opposite direction and started looking into the ‘wrong’ direction – to our right! Full of confidence, I told the driver of the nearest car that the lions were actually on our side! He then told me that there were eight lions on his side as well! I could not see them at first, because of some bushes blocking my view!

This is what we saw after moving our vehicle slightly!

It seemed as if there were lions everywhere!

She was looking for a place to cross the road to join the others!

More came to the side of the road – now anxious to cross the road!

Six lions on the left and eight on the right! Wow, the most we have ever seen! This is now our tenth lion sighting and a staggering total of tweny nine lions!

We had to get to camp in time, so we left the lions……and encountered a roadblock of another kind!

If it carries on like this, we are going to be late!

We made it in time to the Satara gate before closing time and had time for our last sunset photo at Satara!

To-morrow we will travel to Pretoriuskop to enjoy our last night in Kruger before going to SANBONANI Lodge in Hazyview (only 9 Kms from the Phabeni Gate Entrance)!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Are you ready for more? :dance: :dance: :dance: OK, here goes with another instalment!

We were on our way, due south for one last night in KNP and I just took this photo of the BWB’s for the sake of a reminder of the beautiful KNP landscapes!

This very nice Bateleur sat right in the middle of the road in front of us, long enough to take a few photos at close range! :cam:

Giraffe reflections!

Somewhere between Satara and Tshokwane, there were a few cars piled up next to the road and eventually we got a glimpse of three lions with a buffalo kill! The grass was so long that all my attempts to take decent photos produced nothing worth publishing here! :wall: :wall: :wall: Our lion ‘tally’ now 32! :thumbs_up:

We left the lions and not far from Tshokwane we ran into yet another roadblock! A few giraffes crossing the road one by one!

We saw a Siamese twin zebra a few days before and now (almost) a Siamese twin giraffes! (LOL) :roll:

I am not sure what one call a ‘lot’ of warthogs……so I will only publish a picture of one of them! Haha! (Although they were quite a lot, I’d say at least eight!)

These cute “klipspringers’ are not easy to spot, but they surely make a nice photo!

“…..and a picture of my other side as well!”

These 3 Crested Francolins (thanks to Anne Catherine and other Forumites I now know what they are called!) followed the same strategy while crossing the road! They would cautiously walk more or less to the middle of the road looking towards us and then sprint at the speed of a cheetah (well almost) to the other side!

A Lilac Breasted Roller

Pretoriuskop restaurant area!.

The swimming pool at P/kop!

Our bungalow for the last night in KNP before we will transfer to Sanbonani Lodge in Hazyview for 3 nights!

These impalas are now grazing in the camp, but they actually move in and out of the camp during the day! When we arrived at Pretoriuskop, they actually entered the gate in front of us from outside!

We went for our last drive on the circle route around Pretoriuskop!

The best view from here!

Pretoriuskop sunset!

:cry: :cry: :cry: Although we are also sad to leave the Park the next day, we will be near Kruger for the next week! So, don't go away - I've got more coming!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Let me quickly publish yet another episode of my 'Picture Story' for all my friends so that you can start the new week in the right mood! Thanks again for your kind comments and nice compliments you left in my TR!

:whistle: :whistle: Here goes!

We left the Park via the Numbi Gate on our way to the the Nelspruit/Kruger Airport to pick up my brother and his wife who were to join us for the next week! They will accompany us back to Cape Town!

Here they come, right on schedule!

We had to raise our eyebrows when we saw this warning outside our chalet next to the Sabie River. (Hope you can read it?)

Our chalet for the next three nights!

The four of us on the balcony…..I had 10 seconds (with the camera timer ticking off the seconds) to get up there and look as if I’m not totally breathless!

The Sanbonani Gardens and pool area!

and a good place for sundowners!

I'll be back soon with more soon! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

With my brother and his wife now with us, we decided that we will do the Panorama route via Graskop, God’s window and to Pilgrim’s Rest and back to Sanbonani for an outing.

The view from the R533 near Graskop!

Madeleine’s Coffee Shop near Graskop with the swimming pool on the edge of the escarpment!

This is certainly one of the ‘highest’ swimming pools is South Africa!

Will you swim here?

Make sure you dive into the pool and not down the wrong side!

On the way to God’s Window!

Aloe’s at God’s Window!

The view from God’s Window!

From Gods Window we went to Pilgrim’s Rest.

This particular week-end there was a motor cycle rally at Graskop with lots of bikes also at Pilgrim’s Rest.

We saw many extraordinary ‘exhibits’, but this one took the cake!

Engraved on the coffin it states: “Mother in Law in transit!”

…… to be continued………..soon!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:yaya: :yaya: :yaya: Well, this TR is reaching the final stages of our wonderful holiday in and around KNP that we were able to share with our family in such a special way! This will be the third last posting, so here goes! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

After our Panorama trip, we spent the next two days in and around Hazyview and at Sanbonani!
Then we transferred to Kruger Park Lodge, only about five kilos from Sanbonani, also along the Sabi River for four nights!

Kruger park entrance.

The beautiful chalets on the Golf Lodge & the golf course in the foreground!

The view from where we stayed!

An Egyptian Goose showing off her young ones!

….and a closer view of the newly borne fluffy ‘chicks’!

SO, my brother and his other half in front of the pool and Restaurant area.

One can spend a few hours around here, what do you say?

Just sitting in the sun!

SO studying the rules of the hippo hide!

Hippos in the water as viewed from the ‘hide’!

Observing the surrounds!

…..and even some ‘crocs’!

The hippo hide from across the dam!

Watch where you go – there’s ‘crocs’ waiting at the water!

I’m watching you with my cold yellow eyes – and I’m not asleep!

….and a very large water monitor!

Impalas roam freely around the golf course and sleep just wherever it gets dark for them, sometimes right next to the chalets!

I was really getting withdrawal symptoms and the fact that we were so close to the Phabeni Gate convinced my family that we must visit Kruger Park as day visitors the next day! (Luckily it did not take much convincing!)

So hold on……not much more to go now! Only two more postings!

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:lotsocoffee: Get the coffee ready for some more! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Second last posting coming up and we just had to go to KNP (from Hazyview) for the last time! Cape Town is so far to just ‘pop’ into the Park!

We entered at the Phabeni Gate for the day and lots of impalas next to the road welcomed us!

We decided to take a round trip via Pretoriuskop to Afsaal then to Lower Sabie and out by the main Kruger Gate!

On the way P/kop area!

The “Jock of the Bushveld” Plaque on the Voortrekker way to Afsaal!

A great young kudu bull next to the road in the long grass near P/kop!

…..and then, not far from Afsaal, the bonus of our last day trip, lion number 33 of our holiday!

Elephants in the Mpondo Dam on the S103.

….and more elephants in the Sabie River near the Lower Sabie!

A Goliath Heron next to the Sabie River Low water bridge!

Terrapins basking in the sun!

….and more of them!

We went for our last lunch in the Park at Lower Sabie!

Lots of hippos at Sunset Dam!

Here is where I desperately need the “birders” to tell me what this could be…. please? (A plover of some sorts?)

An African Jacana walking on the ‘water’!

The beautiful water lilies were in full bloom!

The whole family out in the road!

Very late and too far in the bush for decent photos, but lion sighting number 13 and with these two we reached our final total of 35 lions during this holiday! Photo only for proof! LOL!

Is this a Stork? Not far from Skukuza!

Just ‘checking out’ where those lions are?

Mirror, mirror on the……..

Hold on!

At this point in time my camera battery decided that it had enough, so I could NOT photograph the hyena with one ear, the rhino and it’s calf in the road in front of us, or the fifteen or so elephants that blocked the road near Skukuza and gave us the fright of our lives!

The last posting to come – stay ‘tuned’! Haha!

DO NOT FORGET:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next