Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Mapungubwe: CAMPING
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:26 pm 

Could someone please tell me if they know if there will be camping facilities at mapungubwe in the future.I understand that the park is still very much in a development phase but it would really benefit them from a revenue point of view if they could implement some camping facilities , especially for bigger families this is the only affordable option and i really want to visit this park a.s.a.p.Please shed some light.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello again ianimal

I've just got back from Mapungubwe and asked at reception about any plans for a campsite. You may be pleased to hear that one is in the pipeline and should be open in the near future (they could not give a date). The campsite will be located at the current Limpopo Forest Tented Camp, which is absolutely beautiful with abundant birdlife.

Hope this helps. Will be posting a report on my stay at Mapungubwe as soon as I can, but as I'm off to the KNP tomorrow early morning, a full report may have to wait until I'm back in the UK.

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe Camping
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ianimal wrote:
Could someone please tell me if they know if there will be camping facilities at mapungubwe in the future.I understand that the park is still very much in a development phase but it would really benefit them from a revenue point of view if they could implement some camping facilities , especially for bigger families this is the only affordable option and i really want to visit this park a.s.a.p.Please shed some light.

For couples, the trails camp is very affordable.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:27 pm 

i have recently been in Mapungubwe working as a volunteer and have been at the location of the proposed campsite. it is in the same area as the tented camp but not close enough to be visible from or to cause any extra noise pollution for those staying at tented camp.

Post subject: February 2007...
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

February 2007... is the date that the campsite @ Mapungubwe National Park is expected to open. It will be located in the riverine forest in the western section of the park, close to the tented camp. This place is a favorite hangout for elephant, giraffe, waterbuck, bushbuck, impala, warthog and many more! Work on the campsite is currently in progress.

Cheers,
Joel
GVI Volunteer
Mapungubwe NP

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Joel and Welcome!!

I know there are quite a few forumites who will welcome your news on the new camping area at Mapungubwe. It sounds from all reports like an amazing park and I hope to visit one day.

Sandy, our Augradies guru, has told us a bit about the GVI program and it sounds most rewarding — and challenging. For me as a long-time overseas visitor, it's nice to see overseas volunteers contributing to SA's extraordinary parks 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here are some cool pix of the campsite that's currently being built in Mapungubwe! :shock:

Can you see what creatures are looking for shade behind the brand new water tap?

It's these big fellows!

Like I said before, camping @ Mapungubwe will be a true wilderness experience! 8) Together with ellies & antelopes in this beautiful riverine forest.

The facilities are currently being finished...

And who doesn't want to spend a night or 2 or 3 or 4 under this big nyalatree???

I would :arrow: :!:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:56 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Mazhou Camping Site
The Mazhou Camping Site in Mapungubwe National Park will be opening to the public on the 1st of March 2007.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: camping
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:49 pm 

Cool!!
This is going to be our first park during April trip to South Africa. so we can spent night in camp :D inside the park.

do you know, if we can get wild card at the entrance gate to Mapungubwe?
are there now more gates?

thanks,
Pavel

Post subject: Re: camping
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pavlik88 wrote:
do you know, if we can get wild card at the entrance gate to Mapungubwe?
are there now more gates?

Yes, you can get a wild card at the main entrance, which is the only gate you can go through to enter the park! Can't wait to go back to Mapungubwe myself! :D

Well actually... the western section does not have gates, but cattle grids because of a public (gravel) road that goes through it. Better obtain a permit first at the main gate though, otherwise fine rangers like Stefan, Alek, Daniel or Bianca will get you. :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:34 am 

Hi There

Just booked at Mazhou camping site from 26 April to 1 May :D :D

Any one that has been there(camping) please share some info.

Thanks

Rasmus

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

So has anyone been to the campsite yet?

Post subject: Camping @ Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:01 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We are going to Mazhou at the end of the year with a caravan. Our towing vehicle is 4x4 but our caravan is not. What distance must one travel on gravel road to the campsite and will it be a problem for a conventional caravan?
Anyone been to Mazhou with a conventional caravan?

Post subject: Re: Camping @ Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

naomi c wrote:
We are going to Mazhou at the end of the year with a caravan. Our towing vehicle is 4x4 but our caravan is not. What distance must one travel on gravel road to the campsite and will it be a problem for a conventional caravan?

Hi naomi c!

With a caravan you should drive around the park and just one kilometer before the Pontdrift borderpost turn right on the gravel road that is signposted Den Staat. You´ll have to drive 3 to 4 bumpy kilometers along some farms (but already start checking for Kori Bustards etc :wink: ) - just take those very slow. After you have passed the cattle grid into the park the road to the campsite is quite rocky for half a kilometer more, but already much better. In the riverine forest the sandy roads are no problem - except for one awfully disguised speed bump... Don´t forget to turn left 200m after the cattle grid. :)

Post subject: Camping @ Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

JoelR

Thnx for your prompt reply. I was getting a bit worried as on the information page on Mapungubwe it states that caravans are not allowed into the Park due to the condition of the roads. (Have only picked this up today.)
I hope that this is not valid any more as I have already paid the deposit on this reservation. I would like to know beforehand if I should start looking for a tent to borrow.