Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Golden Gate: CAMPING
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:03 am 

Hi all

I will be visiting Golden Gate in August this year and I would like to find out if anyone of you has camped at Glen Reenen in August. I've spoken to the park and it seems that snow is quite possibly on the cards. Has anyone had problems camping there before over this time?

I've been watching the weather forecasts on sanparks website and the wind doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment, although August is supposed to be windy.

Does anyone have any information on the weather patterns in the park during August and if I should take along precautions for snow camping.

Thanks very much guys!

Marisa

Post subject: Re: Golden Gate in Winter
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Marisa, I haven't camped at Glen Reenen in winter, but I did do the Rhebok Trail in July two years ago, 3 days after a big snowfall. You need to be prepared for the cold and I imagine snow wouldn't be at all unusual.

We'll be camping in KTP next weekend, so we're also busy preparing for camping in the cold!

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:14 pm 

Hi Marisa. I've camped in Golden Gate in both August and September & been snowed on both times. We took lots of warm clothes & a duvet to put over our sleeping bags & survived the experience quite happily - just make sure you're prepared - plenty of Old Brown Sherry helps :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Golden Gate in Winter- expect 5 seasons in one day(twice) be prepared for Wind-Rain-Snow-Sunshine at any time in a 24 hour day, and secure your food properly because these guys also live in the mountainsImage and they will investigate possible food sourcesImage
As said before Old Brown Sherry is a must. Golden Gate is an amazing place, You will never forget your visit.

28 July - 2 August - Maroela ( armed with Amarula)
3 August - 7 August - Crocodile Bribge

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:02 pm 

Well, been to GG and you guys were right on a few things! It was freezing, Old Brown around the fire is fantastic, and the scenery is some of the most breath-taking ever! It was a great weekend and super cold. But, alas, no snow :( . We did get Jackal in the road though which gave us quite a fright at 21:00 at night right opposite the tent when it belted out a call from nowhere!

I was actually wondering how many animals must get killed on that R712 road every night. Does anyone know if they close the road between certain times? Because the jackals were on the road calling to each other (or against each other) from different sides of the camp and at one stage a car came down the road and I was using my torch to tell the driver that there was Jackal in the road.

We didn't get any Bearded's but the vulture hide is quite nice. I didn't realise that you have to park so far away, which is great because when I was there this weekend, we had a whole group of bikers that rode up there and couldn't help but make one heck of a noise as they drove up, which I can imagine, must scare the birds to some degree.

But a wonderful park all in all. Next time we'll be staying at the Highlands Mountain Retreat..........also in winter!

Thanks all for your advice! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So pleased you enjoyed your visit to Golden Gate your next visit will be top of the pops but also gets FREEZING up there however the indoor fire place electric blankets etc all make for a comfortable stay.