Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Marakele this weekend
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:51 pm 

Hello all,

We are visiting Marakele for the first time this coming weekend, camping at Bontle. Anyone been there recently that can share what the sightings or experiences were like? What roads have in your experiences delivered the best scenery and sightings?

Marius

Post subject: Re: Marakele this weekend
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am :mrgreen: ! Marakele is very special and Bontle is an amazing campsite. Hope the Rhino's come to visit while you are there!
Go up the mountain for scenery that will take your breath away. You will probably be able to do most of the roads in the Park over the weekend. Please share your trip with us - would love to have news and pics from Marakele. Enjoy! :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:39 pm 

Thanks Naomi. Will definitely share next week when I am back.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 am 

We were just camping at Bontle last weekend for the first time, just loved it. The camp site is really special with lots to see just from camp. Honestly we saw so much more from there than on the roads, zebra, rhino, giraffe, warthog, ostrich, impala, wildebeest, vervets, baboons, lots of birds... In the evening we had bush babies jumping through the trees, so adorable. Later at night the birds were going crazy and when I shined my torch out in the distance I saw Honey Badger on the move (twice). We camped in #9 Rhino loop which looks directly onto the waterhole.

We did the drive up to the lookout point which is beautiful. We saw a Klipspringer on the way up right next to the road. A few vultures at the top, look for the adorable dassies on the rocks at the top, they had some little babies too.

We drove most of the roads in 2 days but the best was in camp. Saw lots of elephant poops and there was a broken tree partially blocking the road but we just couldn't find the elephants.

Hope you have a wonderful time, I can't wait to go back.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:05 am 

Thank you.

We are leaving at 12pm and are very excited!!! Can't wait to get on the road.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:27 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Enjoy mariusw! We will also visit Marakele for the first time for three nights from 14 October 2014, and can't wait! We will stay in the Tlopi Tented Camp. Looking forward to your photos! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:58 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

kellyee21 wrote:
We were just camping at Bontle last weekend for the first time, just loved it. The camp site is really special with lots to see just from camp. Honestly we saw so much more from there than on the roads, zebra, rhino, giraffe, warthog, ostrich, impala, wildebeest, vervets, baboons, lots of birds... In the evening we had bush babies jumping through the trees, so adorable. Later at night the birds were going crazy and when I shined my torch out in the distance I saw Honey Badger on the move (twice). We camped in #9 Rhino loop which looks directly onto the waterhole.

We did the drive up to the lookout point which is beautiful. We saw a Klipspringer on the way up right next to the road. A few vultures at the top, look for the adorable dassies on the rocks at the top, they had some little babies too.

We drove most of the roads in 2 days but the best was in camp. Saw lots of elephant poops and there was a broken tree partially blocking the road but we just couldn't find the elephants.

Hope you have a wonderful time, I can't wait to go back.

Wonderful summary of your trip, Kellyee. :clap: :clap: You have won me over. :thumbs_up: Will have to visit there soon. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Have a great time, mariusw. :dance:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:12 pm 

I have posted a report on the trip at this link.

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=81355