Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: Rainfall Info
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:32 pm 

Even in the few days which we were there, the water started drying up. The outlying pools of water don't last long in this area and there is always the Limpopo for the animals to go to as well. It was relatively cold when we where there now. I think it is the first time I have ever worn a jacket up there ever :shock: but the evaporation was still fast.

What I think is happening at Maloutswa is that it is in a natural underground catchment area and is not being filled by surface water but rather by a series of springs under the pan itself. It just looked pristine to me from the little we could see of it from a distance. It must easily be more than 1km long at present.
I must admit that if it stays like this, a lot of greenery will establish itself and it will become a birders paradise. I can't believe that so much water can still be present after almost a year for it not to be springs which are filling this pan ?

I did not see much game around that water but that doesn't mean anything. We did see a beautiful martial eagle near Maloutswa though :mrgreen: Oh and barred owlet, oh and whitebacked vulture, oh and................. :mrgreen: :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8