Skip to Content

Marakele: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

Sylvi-Ann

Re: Marakele: ADVICE

Unread postby Sylvi-Ann » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely contact the park, and I am also waiting on the school to confirm whether she can write her exam an hour earlier :pray:

I can't wait for the weekend, I have never stayed over at Marakele, only gone as a day visitor.

Have a great week all.
Sylvi-Ann Nelmapius
Novice birder and lover of KNP

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:19 pm

I agree, RichardS, Silvi-Ann should get to the Main Gate/Reception in time. BUT Motswere Guest House is about 1 hour further, and I don't know if they will allow visitors to drive in the Park after hours. We have stayed there and it is a lot further than Tlopi Tented Camp and the last 5 km is a high-clearance/4x4 track. Once you get there, it is a lovely place to stay.

I agree she should phone Reception and ask their opinion/help. The Marakele staff are very helpful.

Just seen your post, Silvi-Ann. I hope you get sorted out and that you have a wonderful weekend. It is a lovely spot!
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:11 am

Sylvi-Ann - I hope you have a fantastic weekend. You will love the cottage and the park has some beautiful scenery. You must go up the mountain one morning - up to where the vultures are.

E Orix

Unread postby E Orix » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:28 pm

Some mixed feelings about Marakele NP
Having read about the 600+ pairs of Vultures that breed in the park we were anxious to get the photos.
What a disappointment after driving up to the tower only to see Vultures disappearing behind a mountain several Kms away. We had far better Vulture sightings in Kruger
We spent 3 days there and covered every road only to see one of the 5 and that was a Leopard.
It was a great view lasting possibly 40 min. Staying at Tlopi it emerged directly across from our cabin and walked around the edge of the lake to within 40m of us. Next morning its pug marks were out side out tent.
After being critical I must say it has the most spectacular scenery and that alone is worth seeing.
The stay in the Tlopi camp was great and well worth the visit,as for the animal well we were spoilt in
Kruger and possibly expected too much.
While in Kruger we were lucky enough to see 5 members of the cat family,
tangled with 2 Honey Badgers one night but sadly didn't see any Wild Dogs but what a magic place.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Thu May 21, 2015 1:38 pm

EddieL wrote:What gate needs to be used to reach Tlopi? The one on the Thabazimbi side or is there another option?

Hi Eddie,

You will have to use the entrance gate that is close to Thabazimbi as the Park Reception is situated there, and its about 12km from the town.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Thu May 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Aaaaah Hilda, you will LOVE it!!!

You just want to sit on the patio of your tent and stare out yonder... but you have to make a trip up the mountain to see the vultures... just remember to take some chairs with and some sarmies, its such a beautiful view from the top too.

It might still be in august quite chilly in the evenings, especially in the tents but other than that, its a gem of a Sanpark!

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 am

Now you have me interested as well. We will aim for late January - early February as I'm sure that a lot of the summer bird visitors will be there. Another exciting new area to visit.
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

9 - 12 November Punda Camping
13 November Letaba Safari Tent
14 - 17 Balule Camping

Laeveldkind

Unread postby Laeveldkind » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi Guys
My girlfriend and I are visiting Marakele for the first time in August. :D :dance: We are driving a 2x4 Isuzu doublecab with difflock. Will I be able to drive most of the roads and which roads must I avoid? I see on the map from Sanparks that a lot of the roads are marked 4x4? Is this only to mark it as high-clearance vehicle roads or is a 4x4 really needed? Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated. :thumbs_up:
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi Laeveldkind and welcome!

The "main" roads in Marakele - i.e. from gate to Tlopi Tented Camp area - are OK for high-clearance 4x2. I have a 4x4 but have not engaged 4x4 gearing whilst on those roads. I would not like to try them in a saloon car, but some people do and seem to survive.

When we were last there, just before Easter this year, some of the roads appeared to have suffered from rain wash-away and were rather rough-going in places.

You will love the park. Make sure you drive up to the look-out point - a tarred, single-track, road with wonderful views on the way up and from the summit. Also a chance to see the vultures from there.

barryels
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby barryels » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Laeveldkind wrote:Hi Guys
My girlfriend and I are visiting Marakele for the first time in August. :D :dance: We are driving a 2x4 Isuzu doublecab with difflock. Will I be able to drive most of the roads and which roads must I avoid? I see on the map from Sanparks that a lot of the roads are marked 4x4? Is this only to mark it as high-clearance vehicle roads or is a 4x4 really needed? Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated. :thumbs_up:

Dear Laeveldkind,

If you look in the Marakele index you will find under the heading: Activities that there are only two 4x4 routes, namely the Mbidi route and the 4x4 Eco Trail. Here is a link for easy reference. Most of the roads in the rest of the park is doable with a normal vehicle, so you will not have any problems with your vehicle :thumbs_up: .

To give you an idea of the road surfaces, have a look at the following trip reports where you will see the roads driven, Here and Here

We will also be in the park during the last week of August 2015 :thumbs_up: .

Enjoy your trip :D .
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015 Please Vote Now!!!

Laeveldkind

Unread postby Laeveldkind » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Thanks a lot Barry for the quick reply.You have been really helpfull. Really can not wait. :D I hope you guys also enjoy your trip immensely. All the best. :thumbs_up:
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Return to “Northern Parks”