Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marakele: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great photos bridger1215 :thumbs_up: Can't wait for out stay now.

In case anyone else is interested all you need to do is drop an email to marakele@sanparks.org to request a specific tent. They will do their best to accommodate you.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Post subject: Re: Marakele: ADVICE -
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:28 pm 

Hi there
We are staying at Kamonande near Vaalwater and are wanting to come through to Marakele for a day hoping to see some of the bigger game. Where we stay has small game : buck, giraffe, zebra etc.
We did go through several years ago and were disappointed in what we saw apart from the vultures, perhaps we got there too late and it was raining for most of the day. We now live in KZN but are coming up North for a holiday. This time we will try & get there earlier.

Any suggestions on where to go, what routes to drive, where to picnic.
What would you experts do for ONE day ?
I was so impressed with the photos of the rhino & talk of the ellies. We would love to see both.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ashley
KZN Midlands

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi ashley and welcome to the Forums! :gflower:

Try and get there as early as possible and if you plan your day you can probably cover most of the Park. Our experience is that the Kwaggasvlakte section (where Bontle Campsite is situated) has the most game. The picnic site - a very nice one - is also situated in this section as well as the Bird Hide which is definitely worth a visit. You will almost certainly see Rhinos in this section of the Park. To find the elephants and other big game you will have to cross to the mountainous section.
But remember, this is not Kruger. We have visited Marakele on numerous occasions and last year, for the first time, had proper views of the elephants.
Really hope you enjoy your visit and that the rhinos and elephants will co-operate! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:20 am 

Thanks so much Naomi we love ALL kinds of game, but the smaller game are frequently seen where we will be staying for the week, hence the desire to see ellies & rhino. We have been to Weenan near where we live in KZN several times to try & find rhino to show our kids with no success. Always better in a way that they are elusive & not poached I guess. But anyhow - much appreciate your comments - we will post an update on how we go. I do remember the reserve being so beautiful with the rocky outcrops, mountains & that stunning but scary at times winding path to the vultures :)
We will set the alarm clock !
Cheers
Ashley

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:15 pm 

Hi guys, a while since I've been on the forum and decided to have a look today since the itch to go the bush is starting.... :roll:
We have a young boy (almost 20 months) and are therefore limited in summer time to the non-malaria areas...hence Marakele. We've never been, but it seems that the farmhouse is best suited for a child of this age? How do we go about booking it?

Awaiting response!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:50 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi MNEL,

Are your referring to the Motswere Guest Cottage??

Have a look at the Marakele Accommodation Availability Page for when it's available.

Bookings can be made via Central reservations or the online Booking system.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi MNEL

We have stayed at Motswere Guest House. It would be very suitable for a small child - entirely fenced property.
You will need 4x4 or high clearance vehicle to get there. Very well-equipped accommodation.

On the availability section you go to Tlopi Tented Camp and then scroll down to find Motswere. It is a "satellite" of Tlopi camp.

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:56 pm 

Hi Forumites

need some advice please:

- We are looking to caravan in Marakele in July 2014 and have a 5 year old - is 4 nights too long?
- What are the temparatures like in July

Any advice will be of assistance

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Schnooks.

I have not camped at Marakele and have not taken a child, so don't know if I can help much!!

I am sure if you keep your child interested - games, spotting challenges etc. it will be fine. There are not the same number of animals as you would find in Kruger, but the scenery if fantastic. I understand that there is quite a bit of space at the camping ground for children (supervised) to run around. Maybe do short drives in morning and afternoon and then relax at the camp at midday.

Temperatures - we were there a couple of years ago at the end of June and it was literally freezing!! We were staying at Tlopi Tented Camp, which is right on the edge of the dam. Luckily I took extra blankets as we really needed them. The bakkie windscreen was thick with ice in the morning. The camping ground would probably not get as cold, as it is away from the dam, but I would be prepared for the worst.

Marakele is a lovely park and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi there!

I agree with everything Hippotragus says. Just remember that Bontle is an unfenced camping ground and that animals do enter, even the Rhino's.
In winter it does get very cold. We camped there a couple of years ago over the long weekend in June and at night it went below freezing! During the daytime it was lovely though. Most of the prime spots facing onto the waterhole next to the campsite has very little shade but in winter that will not be a problem.
Marakele is a very special place - I am sure you will enjoy your stay! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01 am 

It seems as if you would have to trust the luck of the draw. We camped there over a weekend in July 2012 and the temperatures were mild.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:20 pm 

Thanks so much for all the advice ... I am really looking forward to staying at Marakele - we visit Kruger often so looking forward to the change

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:05 pm 

Schnooks wrote:
- What are the temparatures like in July

Hi Shnooks,

TreeMouse & I camped there at the end of May last year (2013). The days were absolutely fine, but the nights were seriously cold. The moment the sun went down, out came the blankets and we managed to huddle around a fire for a short hour or 2 while we cooked supper.

We were prepared for sleeping in the cold though and took a simple 220v air heater with a thermostat with us (R 100 at Makro). Popped that in the tent, set the thermostat and within 30 seconds of getting into bed were quite toasty. We both have -3 degree sleeping bags & beanies as well, so I'm sure that helped.

If you are prepared for the cold, I'm sure 5 days would not be a problem,

Cheers

Richard

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:49 pm 

Hi everybody,

We will be visiting Marakele in a weeks time. Very excited, as this is our first trip to Marakele, camping at Bontle, with the kids.

Just a few question, and hoping for some help. Can't wait to set up camp, and just relax. As we understand, there is no shops or gas stations in Marakele, but only at Thabazimbi. We normally take all our goodies with when we go camping, but sometimes in need of ice and fire wood. Is any sold in the camp or not?

Thanx

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Drakie,

There is a tiny little shop at the entrance gate and they usually have ice and firewood. The closest petrol stop unfortunately is in Thabazimbi.
Having said that, Marakele is only 15km from town.

Enjoy your first visit!
I know you'll fall in love with Bontle! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next