Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vhembe pots/pans?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 pm 

Thanks,
looked at photos as directed.........so now do I cancel some nights in Kruger for more in Vhembe? Oh dear decisions decisions. As my husband said there's only ment to be 1 paradise and we thought we'd found that in northern parts of Kruger.
Should have been teaching today but at home on a "snow day" and thought I'd make use of time by doing all planning for this half term... hvae got distracted! Looking forward to August.
Once again thanks for making the time to answer my questions

Post subject: Re: Vhembe pots/pans?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mapungubwe has its charms , but cannot compare with KNP as far as game , human influence etc. is concerned .
If you want seclusion and tranquility , Vhembe is far superior in this area to tourist camps in KNP .
You could be fortunate and have the camp to yourselves .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: On line booking Mapungubwe Vhembe cabin
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am 

Last week, after very convincing advice on this forum, we decided to book 3 days for november 2010. We've tried on line, but no succes. Payment is not possible en so no booking :( . We tried reservations San Parks, but the people there were friendly but couldn't handle our booking. They told us to go straight to Mapungubwe office. I tried and got them on the phone today but they were off line.

Any suggestion to help us make our booking is welcome.

Peter

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Post subject: Re: On line booking Mapungubwe Vhembe cabin
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:09 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

:( I have had considerable challenges contacting Mapungubwe myself in the past. The telephone service there is very unreliable at times. Do take in to consideration that it is in a very rural area, far from major towns and basic infrastructure.

My advice is, keep on calling. It will eventually work, and the service I have had from the personnel when I have reached them has always been great.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Is it possible that they may be reachable via e-mail ?
Phone Sanparks and ask for an e-mail address ....

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:56 am 

Thank you both Imberbe and Ndloti for your support. I did send an email to Sanparks and asked them to forwarded it to the proper desk. Maybe this will work. I will also go on trying to phone Mapungubwe to get succes. We are eager to visit Vhembe this coming visit so we'll keep on trying.

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:17 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I will concur that I have had challenges myself with Vhembe camp. I eventually insisted on talking to someone at Mapengubwe. I think there is confusion as it is also a trails camp..

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:19 pm 

MM I think your remark on confusion is right. This afternoon I saw the official bookingsform for Mapungubwe and there it said clearly Vhembe Cabins.
So I completed the form and submitted it to SanParks. On top of the form is written that it is for Mapungubwe and the choice for accommodation refers only to this park. I'll just have to wait a few days how this way works out.

To be continued.

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Daffy, I do think that it needs to be sorted out. It is a most magnificent area, but I think that Sanparks is also confused. I say that with great love and respect :wink:

Thing is, this was meant to be one of the trail camps, and you may book it as such. The demand has been poor, so it seems to have fallen off the "trail list". It has also not been incorporated into Mapungubwe's mainstream camps, so one cannot book for it via the normal channels.

I hope someone reading this can take it futher. When I say that Vhembe camp is a precious jewell, I mean it.

I am hoping to spend a bit of time there myself in the early winter months. I might even make it an open forum invitation.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I suspect Sanparks prefers not to publicise the single cabin availability too far in advance - the concept was originally a trails camp where a group would book out the whole camp en bloc . When on the rare occasion people do want to book a single cabin , any block trail bookings cannot be accomodated .

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:49 am 

Thank you Ndoloti for the extra info. Yesterday I had an answer on my request for cabins only. It was a bit confusing, because the reservations officer offered me 3 nights in Limpopo Forest Tented camp. I will continue trying to book a cabin. Is Limpopo an alternative worth considering?

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:55 am 

Limpopo is :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :dance:

Remember that Vhembe is preferably booked for groups. Mapungubwe is a small park, and there is no separate staff for Vhembe. There is no permanent staff there, and not even a telephone. All bookings will be done by Mapungubwe reception.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:22 am 

I just noticed that you can now book online Vhembe cabins. The staff attached a tariff so one can get a quotation now. To my regret payment didn't succeed this morning, but I will try later on.
The tariff is a new, just under R1000 a night. Bit strange since the site says R345 a night for 2 persons. Happy that bookings possible, and still a littele confused
Thanks Imberbe for your fast reply. So Limpopo is a great alternative. Very pleased having more options in this way.... and a little stress how to decide which camp. But thats fine!

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Vhembe camp .
Daffy , although I have not been to Limpopo Forest Camp my personal choice I would be for Vhembe for as many nights possible . Judging from your posting on the "What car .." thread you are could be happy at either . Try each on seperate visits ?

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:42 pm 

Hi all,
We will be leaving for Leokwe on 20 Feb and without starting a new post, wonder if anyone can tell me the current water level in the Limpopo (Mapungubwe area).
I have tried the Inet ( SAWeather) to see whether there was rain in that area but not very successfull.
I suppose with lots of rain, the roads can become a problem especially with a normal sedan but that is something we will face when we get there.
Your help appreciated. Hoping Wildjohn will see this as i think he might be the closest? :huh:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next