Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to you, Baobab Tree :D

I have not stayed in the camp site, so I cannot comment on facilities there. I do think that you will find information on one of the other threads on Mapungubwe though.

There is a small pool at Leokwe, in a most beautiful setting. Mapungubwe is divided up into 2 sections, west and east. I stayed in Leokwe which is on the eastern side. The camping area is on the western side.

The western side is a mixture of riverine forest, acacia thornveld and areas of savanna. It has the main water hole and bird hide, an absolute delight. It is where I saw the most game.

The eastern area has the confuence, the canopy walk and the confluence; it also has the main picnic area. This area is dominated by mopani, baobabs, unusual and dramatic rock formations.. it is difficult to describe it's beauty.

You will be supplied with a map when you book in which indicates which roads are strictly 4x4. The roads I used could all have been negotiated by a sedan. Some of the roads were corrugated, but that is often the case in certain areas.

If you read my trip report, "Mapungubwe calling" and Rayk's more recent trip report, you might get a sense of the Park.

I cannot tell you how much I loved the place. It is on my next year's "to do" list. Go and enjoy yourself. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Best/Funniest Forumite Name of the Year (2012)
Dear Boabab tree,
I also (like the above respondent) cannot tell you about the specific camp, but I can comment on most of the roads. Most of the road are in a good condition and I had no specific challenges with my car (Suzuki SX4). Some isolated places can be sandy and you have to concentrate. We frequently to go there as day visitors and are never disappointed. There is a new birdhide (mentioned by the Stiffneck Birs club) where we took beautifull photos. If you stay overnight and are able to relax a bit, there are sometimes brown hienas in the late afternoon drinking water at the dam by the above hide. When you go up the mountain (narrow tar road) you have a beautifull wiew of the park and we also found Klipspringer and dassie on the way. (Huge Rhinos!!!!!!!)
Have a wonderfull time!
Regards
Vlakvarkvrou

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Baobab Tree
As mentioned the camp site is on the western section. I was there in September this year and all roads around this section are doable in a normal sedan. This was however before the rains so just watch for muddy sections. Most of the roads in the eastern section are all fine with a sedan also.
I stayed in the Tented camps and although I drove past the camping section I did not go in. To the best of my knowledge there is no pool there but there is one at the tented camps which is only 200m up the road. You will however have to drive to it as you need to exit the camping area and drive up the road to the tented camp section. They are not joined and have their own separate gates.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:23 pm 

Dear All

Thanks for your valued comments. I am sure that we will enjoy the opportunity to enjoy the park. We are on our way to Zim where we go camping every year.

Regards

Baobab Tree

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:50 pm 

Hi Boabab Tree,

There is no swimming pool at the camp site. The campsite itself is wonderful, however not much to do for children.

You can travel most of the roads in a sedan.

The best place to go is the birdhide close to the camping site. Be sure to take your coolbag with, you tend to sit there forever. - animals come to drink water here.

I suggest when you want to go to the main gate ( tree top walk, etc.) to travel via the tar road. The gravel road is very corrugated and you do not see a lot of animals along this road.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here is a link to the index about Mapungubwe Baobab Tree lots of information there :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:25 am 

Hi Baobab Tree, we’ve just spend 5 nights in the tented camp and took a drive through the camping site and it can only be a pleasure camping there!

It was blooming hot and dry. I hope and :pray: that they receive rain very soon.
Maloutswa is practically dry.
Water is pumped now and then but there is almost no water.
Only a little dirty puddle.
I’ve never been to the western section in the rainy season but you will be fine reaching the camping site and the hide.

The river road through the mlala palm forest could be a problem when wet.

Getting there, the den staat road is terribly corrugated either way, the short or the long way, but it wont be a problem when wet.
Do take the short way near Pont Drift to get there.
You could also do the Den Staat road the long way as a game drive.
long before reaching the cattle grid we saw Gemsbokke :D and Elande :D !!!

Enjoy enjoy enjoy it’s a piece of heaven :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Post subject: Fishing at Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:17 pm 

Hi Forum Membrs

As an avid fisherman I am hoping to hear that there is some form of fishing allowed in the park ie in the Shashe or Limpopo. Does anyone have any idea?

Baobab Tree

Post subject: Re: Fishing at Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:47 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There is no fishing allowed inside the park itself, but I am sure that you will be able to fish somewhere in the vicinity.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:09 am 

Hi Baobab Tree
What Imberde said. Maybe WildJohn can help or the croc farm.
We’ve seen plenty local fishermen from the Botswana side when the
River’s got water. Now it’s dry with barely a tiny stream and pools here and there.

You’ll drool :lol: when you see the big kurpers in the clear pools
at the tree top walk……massive things :shock: .

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:24 pm 

I live on the Venetia Limpopo Nature Reserve. It's across the road from Mapungubwe. Although this is a malaria area, we have not had any cases on the reserve I live on. Mossies are only a nuissance here, not a threat.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:05 pm 

Hi Imberde and Giraffee

Thanks for your responses. I will contact Wildjohn anf the croc farm. Any idea of a contact address for the croc farm

Baobab Tree

Post subject: Fishing at Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:11 pm 

Hi Wildjohn

I was referenced to you re your local knowledge. Do you know where my family and Ic can do some fishing whilst at Mapungubwe. I understand that the park does not allow such activities but is there some thing local.

Regards

Baobab Tree

Post subject: Ice availability
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:15 pm 

Hi Forum

Is there any where in the park that we can purchase ice. I only have a cold box which would need to be re filled daily to keep the beers and meat cold.

Baobab Tree

Post subject: Re: Ice availability
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there

Your namesake's appropriate for the area - its quite limited the shop there - they just have a few cold drinks to sell. The nearest place for ice is alldays, 60 km S, and a place called Dongola - like a fuel fill up place... If you not camping, think there are freezers in the units..

Cheers man..

w

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next