Skip to Content

Mapungubwe: CAMPING

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:06 am

We didn't hear the lions on Thursday night but did hear the jackal and hyaena. There was one hyaena who sounded a bit hoarse :). Don't get me wrong - it is a really lovely park and has so much potential. The birding is just awesome - on Friday morning I spent about 2 hours just watching the birds above my tent.

My wife was extremely annoyed with the fact that these people expressly went to scare the baboons. I just could not believe the absolute stupidity in walking around outside the camp at night. We had seen an elephant breeding herd on the access road to the camp site that same afternoon.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Ockert123

Access to Mapungubwe

Unread postby Ockert123 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:07 am

Hi all, I read in the Mapugnubwe site that caravans are not allowed into the park. Does this include the so called "OFF ROAD" trailers as well?
Thanx

naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby naomi c » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:05 am

Welcome to the Forum Ockert123!
Scroll down to Mapungubwe: Camping - lots of information as well as photographs.
Caravans and trailers are allowed - the campsite is for tents as well as caravans.

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:20 am

Hi Ockert123

I camped at Mapungubwe in August. Caravans are not allowed into the eastern section. The camp site is in the western section where caravans of all types are allowed. The
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

john n poppy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby john n poppy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi all,

Advice required...

We are driving out of the top of kruger to mapungwabe for two nights in aug 2008.
We were going to camp for two nights but read about the tree top walk...and being their in the morning.

If we are driving from kruger which campis best to stay in first...will it be better to set up camp on the second day and stay in the tented accom. the first night.

Or should we camp for both nights..

Any advice on specific drives or places to stop, photograph and chill in the park.

Thanks all
john
SAY NO TO HOTELS IN KRUGER NP...before its too late

Died and going to heaven....5 weeks in Kruger July/August 2015 ...hope to see you there :-)

Dave Moore

Unread postby Dave Moore » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:04 pm

Hi John
We got back home on Saturday after spending 8 nights at Mapungubwe. What a fantatic place it is. We spent 2 nights in Leokwe camp and then six nights camping. The cottages at Leokwe are really nice and they are close to the treetop walk which allows for an early start. If you are camping on the Western side it is a fair drive back to the main gate so you will need to get up fairly early. The main gate opens at 6h30 in August ( I think )

I don`t think I would stay in the Limpopo Tented Camp for only one night and then set up in the camp site the following day as you will waste time which could be spent exploring the place. We could have spent another five days and still not seen everything there is to see! The forest tents are only about one kilometer from the camp site so you will be in exactly the same type of surroundings.
The birding in the Limpopo forest area is excellent. We will definitely be back there sometime this year. Some of the more scenic areas in the Western side require a 4x4 or bakkie especially if its wet, but there are some really nice drives across the whole park. The game viewing is not that good but we are spoilt in KZN with places like Ithala and Mkuze etc ! There are lots of Elephant around though, although we saw none near the campsite at all. A lion did pay a visit to forest tent number 5 last Saturday night! It caused some panic to the guests who apparently ended up hiding under the bed!
Although there are no shops at any of the camps, we bought some really good firewood at both the campsite and the confluence picnic site. I ended up carting all my charcoal back home!

Another good place to see birds is at Maloutswa hide which offers lots to see. We where lucky enough to see a pair of Meves Starlings feeding a Honeyguide chick with a never ending supply of frogs. Birds must be colour blind as the chick was bright yellow! ( I only found this out on our last day when a bird expert told me that he had been told it was a Honeyguide)

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:19 am

Hi Jjohn and poppy

See my trip report on Mapungubwe for some pics here
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Johann » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Dave Moore wrote:...Another good place to see birds is at Maloutswa hide which offers lots to see. We where lucky enough to see a pair of Meves Starlings feeding a Honeyguide chick with a never ending supply of frogs. Birds must be colour blind as the chick was bright yellow! ( I only found this out on our last day when a bird expert told me that he had been told it was a Honeyguide)

I posted some pics in the Birding section.

Meves's Starling and their little parasite
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Normans

Mapungubwe

Unread postby Normans » Tue May 27, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi

New to the forum - please to meet you all!!

Can someone tell me more about the MAZHOU camp site? Can I take my caravan and will I be able to cross the Bots/RSA border?

Rhona

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Tue May 27, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi Normans

We camped at Mazhou in August last year. The Den Staat entrance road can be quite corrugated, I would suggest you pass this road and then at the T-junction turn right. After a few km take a right into the Den Staat road (you enter it from the other side). The route is slightly longer but is actually quicket since most of it is tarred. You will find the turn off to the camp site to your left, clearly marked
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

krugs

Mobile Camper

Unread postby krugs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:15 pm

We have decided to try out a mobile camper and have booked two nights in the camping area. I could not pick up on any restrictions for campers in the park; does anybody have experience with these vehicles or know of possible obstacles?

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:43 am

Hi there krugs!

As far as I know there are no official restrictions for campers. Obviously your choice of roads is limited to those that are suitable for sedan cars. So don't try the 4x4 ecotrail in the Western Section or the Kanniedood loop in the Eastern part. If driving carefully the Kongoni loop should be possible (if you go before the rains) and you can also reach Poacher's Corner from the east (NOT from the Confluence!).

Lastly, the river road in the Western Section might be a bit of a challenge. The track itself is fine but there are usually quite a few low hanging branches. I would try it anyway, but you might be up for a bit of back tracking. :wink:

cpetzer

Unread postby cpetzer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi all

How bad are the roads in Mapungubwe? I drive a corsa lite so was wondering how limited my trip will be? What % of the park will i be able to drive? Was last at mapungubwe in 2003 for an archaeology trip but did not drive around the reserve to much (spent most of my time at the archaeological site). Want to go around October for 4-5 nights (camping and safari tents). Would it be better to go to Kruger?

Kind regards
Cliff

Dave Moore

Unread postby Dave Moore » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi, Most of the Eastern section shouldn`t be a problem with your Corsa. On the western side you will be limited to the roads around the campsite and safari tents. The river loop may be a problem if it rains as will all the side roads off the Den Staat road. I wouldn`t venture near the 4x4 eco trail at all. Like any dirt road, most of the roads around the campsite and tents are pretty good if it hasn`t rained, they become nasty when wet though and you may have some problems. Just remember that if you are camping, there is firewood available at the tented camp. The website does not mention this and you may end up carrying things with that you didn`t have to. Plus it`s hard to beat genuine bushveld firewood! Can`t wait to get back to Mapungubwe again. I was glad to see that they have counted around ten lions in the western section.

john n poppy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mapungubwe: CAMPING

Unread postby john n poppy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:24 pm

hi Cliff,
just returned from mapungwabe and camped for two nights...
A few things to point out, the camp site is small which is good but..the toilets have open tops which my wife wasnt keen on as anyone close can hear you...baboons were a problem for people silly enough to leave food outside....there were not enough braiing facilities, we had to share.....plug sockets are normal and you dont require the big blue plugs and leads....the main gate is 30mins away via the main road, dont bother with the den staadt road there is no abvantage at all.....the bird hide is great and 5 mins away.....elephants between the camp and hide can be awkward as it is a small road with lots of trees etc...the river road in the east is fine in 2x4 high clearance vehicle but i wouldny like to risk it in a normal car...we went on a morning drive that took us around the east section, we saw eland, lots of klipspringers as well as other game and fresh leopard and lion prints on the road. ( will be posting a trip report soon). Personnally i think 2 days is enough at the moment until the open out the park and the new museum.
hope that helps

john
SAY NO TO HOTELS IN KRUGER NP...before its too late

Died and going to heaven....5 weeks in Kruger July/August 2015 ...hope to see you there :-)

Return to “Northern Parks”