Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Woodville - SANP secret place
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:07 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

This specific tree (Outeniqua Yellow wood) is estimated to be over 800 years old and is to be seen in Woodville in the Bergplaas State forest, 26 km from George, which is managed by SANParks. Now how many of you knew this?

Although I have not positively identified them yet I am pretty sure that I have seen Tambourine Dove and Lemon Dove on the trail leading through the forest. It is one of my most special and favourite places. It is also the one place I know that I will stumble upon my NT someday...

It plays host to other bird specials like:
Knysna Lourie, Yellowthroated and Knysna Warblers, Olive Bush Shrike, Greenbacked Bleating Warbler and Starred Robin, Chorister Robin, Bluemantled Flycatcher and Olive Woodpecker.

Very spooky place really as it is very isolated and walking thru the forest when all goes dead quiet is quite some experience especially if you are like me and enjoy spending time alone. I have been there probably 3 or 4 times and only once had I had company with me. All the other times it felt like I owned the place and spend my time in it with the forest ghosts. You have to be there all by yourself to appreciate this feeling.

Other possible animal to encounter here is leopard.

2 older pictures from a video camera in 2004.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman