Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just back from a wonderful Otter hike - I can't describe the beauty and magic of it to those who haven't done it, but I can tell you that it's much tougher than I ever imagined ! I wasn't fit enough or perhaps my 50 year old body just wasn't good enough to match the pace of my younger (20 & 23 yr old) or fitter (German) companions !! I couldn't have asked for better company though - Arlene, Chadwick,the two Stefans, David and Steve - if you ever read this - you were great company !!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Herman, please tell us more about the hike. (and the company :D )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

gwendolen wrote:
Herman, please tell us more about the hike. (and the company :D )

Started with trip report on first two days tonight - see Herman on the Otter trail.

Post subject: Otter Trail in May/June ?
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:40 pm 

Hello!
we think about hiking the otter trail in late May / early June. Has anyone been there at this time of year? Would you recommend going or is it much better in summer and spring? What about the weather (temperatures?) Is rain very likely?
Answers are very much appreciated,
Thanks!
the happy hikers

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:52 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The first post on this page would seem to answer your question... a bit...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Otter trail - equipment
Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:45 pm 

tigerclaw wrote:
Hi,

We are doing the otter trail in September 2007 (other than this we have only really done a couple of day hikes)

What equipment do we need?

Pans and pots?
What size backpack do you recommend?
Are hiking boots a necessity or will trail shoes do?
What about mini gas stoves?
What about hiking poles to help knees along?
I am thinking about taking a kiddies inflatable pool to float our gear across any rivers if necessary :)

Thanks

Hi Tigerclaw.
Hopefully I will be able to help you.
A group of 6 and I did the Otter Trail a few years back. I have also done a fair amount of high altitude hikes as well as lengthy Drakensberg day hikes.
As you are carrying a pack over the entire trail, I would suggest 2 small-ish pots, and necessary cutlery and crockery.
[one pot larger than the other]
Trail Shoes are probably a good idea for evenings and beach walking, in particular the last day, but well worn hiking boots are well worth taking for ankle support. Gas stoves are quite vital, depending on the size of the group 2-3 should do it.
Hiking poles are very very useful!!!!!! The walk can be tough on the knees, esp. day 2 and 3.
A floating device might help crossing the Bloukrans River but if you check the tides at Storms River and can time your crossing effectively you will save A LOT of extra unnecessary, painful weight, the less you carry the better, trust me.

If there's anything else I can help with drop me an email with pleasure-- jaws.lbw@gmail.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:36 pm 

We have booked for the Otter a long time ago, and eventually got lucky with a reservation for early August 2007 ; this means a precious few weeks from today. Our hike starts on Thursday the 9th of August 2007 and ends on Monday the 13th of August.

Wonderful ! Except that due to work commitments and other circumstances beyond control, a few of the previously committed hiking team members can no longer join us.

But here's the opportunity ! If you wish to do the Otter with us, have the chance to get or take leave at such short notice, and preferably live around Pretoria (we would like to meet you before the event), and speak Afrikaans (just joking), please contact me urgently ; details below. We plan to travel with two vehicles and a trailer, departing from Pretoria.

Our group consists of men and women ranging in age from early 30's to late 60's.

If you are interested, please contact me as per my details below to discuss next steps and logistics :

Please PM me for my cell phone number or contact number, or

e-mail to : JohannvanStaden@gmail.com

I am looking forward hearing from you soonest !

Post subject: Snakes/Leopard on the Otter trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:03 am 

Hi

I am doing the Otter trail for the first time in September. I have done lots of reading up about it, however, I have not found sufficient information on what the likelihood is to come across snakes and/or leopard on the trail and what actions to take if I do (I like to be well prepared).

Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly
Pangea

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Pangea & welcome to the forum.

To be well prepared against the very unlikely event of coming across a leopard or snakes, I would take a camera.

Most snakes, except adders, will hear your party coming and will get out of your way. Adders just lie where they are. Just don't get too close and leave them alone. Don't tease or interfere with them in any way.
Leopards - wow if you are lucky enough to see the Cape mountain leapard, that will be stunning. Leopards are curious and might see you from a distance. The local leopard is a lot smaller than its Kruger cousin and does not see man as prey, I am told. If it does come close, stand behind a child, as they will normally go for the easest target. :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:lol: Yes keep your eyes peeled for adders but I doubt you will even see a snake. The most I have ever seen of a snake on a trail is a fleeting glimpse of one getting the hell out of there!

As for leopards, I wonder if anyone has ever seen a leopard on the Otter trail. In that part of the world leopards are extremely secretive and are very very rarely seen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:56 pm 

Thanks BB & Senyetse,

You have eased my concerns somewhat. I will still keep my eyes peeled, but at least I should be a lot calmer. The question about the leopard was primarily due to the fact that it is the first animal listed under the "Wildlife that may be encountered on the trail" section of the Otter trail info brochure that I have received.

Guess I could always take my running shoes with :wink:

Thanks kindly,
Pangea

Post subject: Re: Snakes/Leopard on the Otter trail
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Leopards and snakes first reaction is to get the hell away from us humans. Leopard hates being seen. The only snake that might be a problem is the puffadder, but September in the Garden route is still quite chilly and really not a good time for snakes. No need to worry bout this too much.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:17 pm 

Thanks wildtuinman and Bush Baptist.

You have given me the answer I was looking (and hoping!) for. You even answered another topic I was not 100% sure of - that of the weather in September. Thanks for the speedy and informative responses.

Now I'm really looking forward to it..... :dance:

Thanks kindly
Pangea

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pangea, I'm sure you'll have a stunning time! I spent lots of time in Garden Route as a kid, did many hikes, and was never fortunate enough to see a snake or leopard.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:41 am 

Hi

I am doing the Otter Trail next year and I have to buy a backpack. I have been told contradicting information by two different shops on how big a bag I need. How big should my bag be?

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next