Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:07 pm 

The information on the website has been changed, which shows a really quick and positive response from SANParks. Impressive. I wish our bureaucracies were as quick to respond.

"Age allowed and Fitness

The age allowed is between 12 to 65 years. A fair degree of fitness is required as there are some steep sections, which together with a backpack can become tiring, especially after a few hours of hiking. One must be prepared to hike up to 13 kilometers a day, over rough terrain, steep ascents and descents and under any weather conditions."

Of course, I personally think that the upper age limit should be removed. Maybe part of this is cultural: on the Eden to Addo trail website, this statement is made:

"You will walk about 18km to 22km a day. This is very trying after 4 days and where possible we have schedules 1/2 day rest sections to let your feet catch up. You will get tired . . . but will need to push on."

And this is without carrying a pack, and having your meals made for you. A normal hiker on the Appalachian Trail here in the States can easily cover 25 to 40 km a day, carrying a 15 kilo pack including all food, tent, sleeping gear, water, etc. It usually takes six months to do the trail, although many have done it much faster.

"This is very trying after four days....?" Really now. I know at least ten South Africans who would think that statement is silly. And I suspect a lot I don't know would think the statement makes South African hikers look like sissies.

:wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:lol: Is that a challenge? :lol: As soon as the person who is in charge of this comes back (Monday) I will chat to her about our agist language!! Thanks for the feedback-too much more time in front of my computer though and I might indeed find the four days trying-but your point is taken :wink:

Post subject: Otter Trail Cancellations
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:05 pm 

Hi guys,

We all know there are huge waiting lists to do the Otter, but is there some sort of cancellations procedure, website or forum advertising cancelled slots?

Whats the procedure (if any) of getting your foot in the door earlier?

Tx,

G

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We (My son and I ) are doing the Otter in Jan 07 -starting 22nd and we've booked a hut at Storms River the night before and a hut at Natures Valley the night after we finish. Where would be the best/safest place to leave our car ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Herman,

since you've taken the brilliant step to sleep over before and after the trail, this is pretty easy.
Either you can leave your car at the otter trail parking in Storm's River rest camp at the beginning of the trail or at Nature's valley camp, and when you've finished/or about to begin, take the shuttle offered to Storm's river, unless you can organize your own lift, as if i remember they might just present a R300 bill for the shuttle.

Post subject: Shuttle service
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:27 pm 

Hello Herman

We recently did the Otter Trail (August 2006). We did it the other way around. Stayed over in Nature's Valley the night before then left our cars at Storms River. At the Nature's Valley rest camp there are business cards of people who run shuttle services back to Storms River but I'm sure they will run both ways. The charge was R600 for 12 people. Here is our blog address if you want to see some photos http://picasaweb.google.com/whewetson/OtterTrail
Hope you have a fantastic trip :D

Ronelle

Post subject: Hiking part of Otter trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:12 pm 

Hi,
I plan to visit SA this April and pictures from otter trail looks great.
Is there possible to walk, just part of the Otter trail as one day trip? is it possible to go by coast and than turn up the valley towrds road, to save time on way back?

thanks for tips,
Pavel

Post subject: Re: Hiking part of Otter trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pavlik88 wrote:
Hi,
I plan to visit SA this April and pictures from otter trail looks great.
Is there possible to walk, just part of the Otter trail as one day trip? is it possible to go by coast and than turn up the valley towrds road, to save time on way back?

thanks for tips,
Pavel

Hi Pavel - welcome here !
From the starting point one is only allowed to do part of the first day's walk if you haven't booked to do the full five days !You may walk as far as the waterfall . There are however a few other short day walks that you can do around Storms River Camp - they are just as beautiful and you don't have to book.
What are your plans for the rest of your visit to South Africa ?
Are you going to the Kruger Park ?

Post subject: otter trail and others:-)
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:07 pm 

hi Herman!
thanks for replay. I have read, that first day is only 5km, so I thought that I might be able to do with light backpack about 1,5days and than back.
I probably can not have chance to get on track in April.
Yes, I would like to do some more trails in SA and i found here some tips already.
If you know some nice 2-3 days walks or longer day hikes in SA? it would be great to get some info.
I am planning with Lonely Planet, but they give only names no description.
I plan to see Kruger, mainly for wildlife. I think, there is not allowed self guided hiking.
Pavel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:12 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Pavel, the Otter trail you need to book at least a year beforehand, it's just too popular.

Selfguided walks are not possible in Kruger, (Nor is getting out of your car allowed), but guided walks can be done from all the camps. They are very much worth doing, the guides will tell you all about tracking, the plants and little animals and insects, and it's a way to see the larger animals up close.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:31 pm 

Thanks for information.
We will probably do some guided walks in Kruger.
as for Otter it looks, we will have to live with going one day "taste" of Otter coastline

Pavel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Pavel

Enjoy your travels to our beautiful country! I hope you've had a look at the Kruger forum? And if you have any other queries I'll see what response I can get from the park.

Kind regards

Diannet

Post subject: Otter trail - equipment
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:42 am 

Hi,

We are doing the otter trail in September 2007 (other than this we have only really done a couple of day hikes)

What equipment do we need?

Pans and pots?
What size backpack do you recommend?
Are hiking boots a necessity or will trail shoes do?
What about mini gas stoves?
What about hiking poles to help knees along?
I am thinking about taking a kiddies inflatable pool to float our gear across any rivers if necessary :)

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Otter trail - equipment
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tigerclaw !
I'm off on my first Otter on Monday ! Will be able to give you first hand advice when we return on Sunday 28 th !
I've received different advice about many things from different people, but I'd say one small pot and a small kettle would do...
a small gas stove - those with little blue disposable cannister..
hiking pole - yes.....I'm going in my hiking boots but my son is going in running shoes - I'll be able to tell you which worked best after our trip !! LOL ... the inflatable pool sounds like a novel idea, but it means extra weight for something you might not need - rather check the tide tables and plan ahead. Fortunately the tide is in our favour next week - the difficult crossing (Bloukrans river) is on Wednesday and low tide is at 14:30 - more or less the exact right time for us

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:20 am 

Thanks Herman, I hope you have a great hike and I will be keen to hear from you when you return - Enjoy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next