Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You can get tidal charts here. Use Knysna it's the closest.

Any hints??? Take warm clothes, it's winter ;-)

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject: Transport to/ from Otter Trail
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:03 am 

Can anyone suggest how 6 of us get from PE to the start of the Otter Trail and return afterwards please. This will be in Jan 2006. How far is Tsitsikamma Village Inn from the start of the Otter Trail.
Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:48 pm 

Have a look here. Don't know if that will help you as from previous discussion on this forum the Baz Bus does not drop you at the camp. I suggest you email the Storms River camp manager - perhaps they can suggest something?

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Cape Town - Storms River Camp - Natures Valley - Cape Town
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:10 pm 

Howzit?
I will be hiking the trail in January 2006 as well but have a problem regarding the transport from Cape Town to the starting point of the trail and then from Natures Valley back to Cape Town. Has anyone made the same experience and as a good tip for me?

Post subject: Re: Cape Town - Storms River Camp - Natures Valley - Cape To
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:24 pm 

JanMuhl wrote:
Howzit?
I will be hiking the trail in January 2006 as well but have a problem regarding the transport from Cape Town to the starting point of the trail and then from Natures Valley back to Cape Town. Has anyone made the same experience and as a good tip for me?

Hi Jan,

Perhaps the Storms River Camp manager will be able to recommend a service you can use. Try emailing him at rassiee@sanparks.org or try this link or here.

DB

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Temp Storage at Storms River Mouth?
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:56 am 

By chance, is there temporary storage (lockers) or will Reception at Storms River Mouth Rest Camp kindly hold items (in a daypack) for us while we are on the Otter Trail?

We've flown in from Australia and have brought our tent, etc, along as we're planning to head to the Drakensberg after the Otter. It would be wonderful if we could pick up the tent after enjoying the Otter - boulder hopping and all!

Thanks very much for your assistance! :)

Bibtrekker

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:14 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Bibtrekker and welcome to the forum. I don't know the answer to your question. Perhaps someone else does or you could call or email the park manager:

CORNELIUS ERASMUS
Tel. (work): 042-2811 607
E-mail: rassiee@sanparks.org

Finished the The Bibbulmun Track and off to the Otter trail? :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

LISTEN EVERYONE!!!!!!
Do yourselves a favour and hike the Otter Trail, i did it in november and it was absolutely magnificent!
We are so fortunate to ave one of the planet's greatest hikes, and in a national park too!
Dolphins are a guaranteed sight - I saw them everyday, and whales in the right season...
The Tsitsikamma coastline is absolutely breathtaking, and one of the best swims I've ever had was there...
The cabins are cosy, with running tap water.
Everyday one can explore the area around the overnight huts, it's amazing.
Take a snorkel along too, it's another world under the blue!
And best of all, each toilet (flushing) is fitted in a strategic place with a great frontal view of the ocean, (don't worry, it's one way glass!) :D
Crossing and swimming in those rivers is an adventure in itself, and those sunsets are exquisite!
So I strongly suggest you stop using SANParks as exclusively driving holidays, use the oppurtunity, and really experience South Africa's beuty firsthand on this famous hike :!:
(and to Francois: if you call hiking the otter trail self-torture, this is what you will think of yourself after doing it! :sniper: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BunduBoi wrote:
Do yourselves a favour and hike the Otter Trail ....
The Tsitsikamma coastline is absolutely breathtaking, and one of the best swims I've ever had was there...

How strenuous was the hike? Actually, how strenuous did the most unfit person in your party find the hike? You couldn't have found it strenuous as you found energy for exploring, snorkeling .....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

lam wrote:
BunduBoi wrote:
Do yourselves a favour and hike the Otter Trail ....

How strenuous was the hike? Actually, how strenuous did the most unfit person in your party find the hike? You couldn't have found it strenuous as you found energy for exploring, snorkeling .....

The otter Trail is considered a moderate hike in terms of dificulty. Each day differs. The shortest day will take you about 3 hours and is about 6 km, and the longest (which is the bloukrans day) is about 13 km and takes 8 hours going at a relaxed pace (that is if the tide at the bloukrans suits you, we had to get there in three hours - 10 km - as we had to wake up at four in the morning, so we did the whole thing in about 5)
always check the tide of the bloukrans as this orientates the days planning, dont try crossing it at high tide!
Quite a lot of the time you spend ascending and descending hills, this is quite prevalent on day 2. Basically the highlight activity of day 1 is boulder hopping, 2 climbing up and down, 3 swimming and crossing rivers on relativvely flat track, four for us was a scramble of course, and five is a hike on top of a fynbos rich mountain overlooking the sea all the way to Nature's Valley.
Each day is special and has its own events.
The trail hugs the coastline and 90% of the time the ocean is in perfect view, this including panaromic ones.
No hotel in the world will offer you the view that the huts on this trail give you - this is alone a reason to go on the Otter Trail.

P.S. the night before the trail starts, book yourself into Storm's River restcamp, so you can enjoy the day and start at the time you want the next one.
It is a beautiful camp with all huts overlooking the rugged coastline and swimming at the Storm's River mouth/beach is amazing! The cabins as well are beautifully maintained and have an amazing atmosphere.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have stayed at Storms River and day visited a couple of times. I have done most of the day walks including the walk as far as the waterfall, which is the first few kms of the Otter trail. The walks are absolutely stunning. I have always stayed at Natures Valley, which is at the end of the hike. Tsitsikamma is a very beautiful area.

I have never done a 5 day hike. I am a bit worried about putting a pack on my back, laden with 5 days worth of food and clothing, and then trudging up hills the size of Mount Everest. Not so much worried for myself as for my fellow hikers, as I can become a major nag when I am tired and footsore. SO doesn't deserve that.

Post subject: Food on otter trail
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:46 pm 

Howzit?
being bood for the otter trail in january 2006 I am beginning to plan the details. Has anyone tips/experience regarding what food is advisable (yummie but not too heavy)?
Jan

Post subject: Otter Trail - General Information
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:40 am 

Otter Trail
Tsitsikamma National Park

General Information about the Otter Trail

Distances and Durations
The trail is 5 days and 4 nights. The following distances and durations are as follows:
Day 1 = 4.8 km (± 2 hours)
Day 2 = 7.9 km (± 4 hours)
Day 3 = 7.7 km (± 4 hours)
Day 4 = 13.8 km (± 6 hours)
Day 5 = 6.8 km (± 3 hours)
Total Distance = 42.5 km
Distances are indicated per kilometre for each day on the Otter Trail Map that is available on sale in the park.

Water
There are numerous streams and springs throughout the length of the Otter Trail that are suitable for drinking purposes. However, it may be wise to use purification tablets especially if you are not used to this water and where streams/rivers pass through communities such as the Coldstream\Witels River (3.6 km mark of the 4th day) and the Lottering River (7.5 km mark of the 4th day). There are rainwater tanks at each overnight hut that may also be used. However, due to erratic rainfall patterns, the level of these tanks may be low from time to time.

Firewood
Firewood is provided, however it is not covered from rain and therefore may be wet. Hikers are required to carry their share of wood from a woodpile, close by on the trail. However, it sometimes happens that there is a build-up of excess wood not used by previous hikers that is placed under the steps of the huts, which is usually dry.

Cooking facilities
Each hut has a braai place with a sturdy steel grid. Within each hut there is a table on which food can be prepared. Hikers need to provide their own gas stoves and pots for cooking.

Other Facilities
There are two huts and a single toilet at each overnight stop. Each of the two huts contains 6 beds with mattresses hikers must provide their own blankets/pillows/sleeping bags etc. Rubbish bins are provided at each of the overnight stops. Field rangers remove the rubbish regularly. There are benches present. Please only use biodegradable soaps on the trail.

Tides
It is important to be aware of the dates and the times of the high and low tides prior to hiking the Otter Trail. This is especially important when it comes to crossing the bigger rivers such as the Elandsbos and the Bloukrans Rivers.

The Bloukrans River Crossing
The Bloukrans River crossing is on the 4th day of the Otter Trail. It is approximately 10 km from Oakhurst Hut that takes about four and half hours (4.5) to reach. This river is best crossed during low tide. Once the river has been crossed it is approximately another 3.8 kilometers (two and a half hours) to the next overnight stop. It is wise to arrive well before low tide, so that enough time is available to plan your crossing. If you are unable to cross the river, you can take the escape route labelled E6. This escape route branches to the right of the trail just before the Otter Trail descends to the Bloukrans River Mouth. The escape route climbs steeply to the top of the plateau where it leads to the N2. To reach the N2, it will take approximately 2 hours.

Safety precautions
Safety items that can be included are the following:

Small First Aid kit
Survival Bag
Thermal blanket
Map of Trail
Cell phone
Rope

Cell phones and Reception
It is advisable that a cell phone is taken together with the following numbers:
Storms River Police - 10111
Park Headquarters - (042) 28 11 607
Cell phone reception is intermittent along the Otter Trail. Reception may be picked up when the trail reaches up onto the plateau or when the coastline juts out to sea. There is no reception at the overnight huts.

Emergency procedures
There are several escape routes that lead to the top of the plateau where there are access routes that lead to the N2. The escape routes are indicated as E 1 – 6 on the map. Cell phone reception may be reached here.

Fitness
A fair degree of fitness is required as there are some steep sections, which together with a backpack can become tiring, especially after a few hours of hiking. One must be prepared to hike up to 13 kilometres a day, over rough terrain, steep ascents and descents and under any weather conditions.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:21 pm 

Otter Trail Food Requirements
Requirements are for 5 days and 4 nights (Only a guide)

v Instant breakfast cereal
v Sugar
v Coffee
v Tea
v Hot chocolate
v Powder milk
v Salt & Pepper
v Packet soup
v Instant pastas
v Smash
v Vegetable extract
v Cheese wedges
v Crackers
v Fruit bars
v Biscuits
v Rusks
v Glucose sweets
v Jam
v Chocolates
v Fresh meat or boerewors for first night
v Dishwashing liquid
v Dish cloth
(Try to use sachets for most of your dry consumables (coffee, sugar etc)

TIPS
v Have every hiker carry *2 briquettes for the first night braai (*number dependent on how many is in the party)
v Pack cotton shirts and parachute-type fabric as it dries easier
v Pack a poncho for heavy rain
v Have a fitted rainproof cover for your backpack
v Pack all the contents of your backpack in resealable plastic bags
v Always have enough socks and underwear
v Pack a pair of waterproof sandals as it is useful for crossing rivers and at the hut
v Anti-diarrhoea and water purification tablets (for those with the sensitive stomachs, not often required)
v Sunblock and Mosquito spray or lotion (always a must have)
v Last but not least a camera

Post subject: Time of year
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:36 pm 

Hi There,

Does anyone have any recommendations on the time of year one should aim for? Im looking at sometime in March 2007, but am definitely open to suggestions!

Kind Regards
Sean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next