Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Storms river
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:10 pm 

In just over a month's time we are visiting the Garden Route National Park for the first time.
Unfortunately we left bookings for too late and was not able to find accommodation inside the park. We will therefore be staying in Storms River.

I have no idea what to expect, but I am sure it going to be an experience of a life time.
We will be fairly close to the Tsitsikamma section so we will definitely be visiting there.
How long is the hikes?? Can one do it with small children??

As far as I understand the Knysna section is about 100km away. Is it worth driving through for the day? We are those who do not mind traveling long distances.

We will also be sleeping over on our way in Graaff-Reinet and I am considering stopping by one the national parks in the vicinity for a quick stop on our way down to Storms River.
Which one will you recommend between Camdeboo, Mountain Zebra or Addo. I would love to do all 3 but there is just not enough time.

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 24 September 2014

Post subject: Re: Storms river
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
PietSkiet, you will definitely enjoy the area. I did a few TR's what to expect at Storms River/Tsitsikamma and Wldernis - GR - Tsitsikamma and GR - Wildernis.

If you stay in Storms River, I assume it is the village, it is a beautiful town and there is a special place where you can enjoy some food and milkshakes from the sixties - Elvis and Marilyn's place - a must visit and enjoy the d├ęcor. It is next to Canopy tours which is also great fun to do. The Big Tree is near by just off the N2 and also a nice trail to walk for children enjoying a bush experience. Nature's Valley is nearby, but you will have to go through the Tollgate and just after you have gone through there is a road to the left to NV. Some beautiful scenic views from the top and one can enjoy some lovely walks on the sandy beach with river flowing into the sea.

I will recommend a drive to Wildernis, but on the way there, you might be distracted by a number of different sanctuaries and farm & craft stalls. Enjoy a riverboat ride on the Keurboomsriver and have a picnic on one of the sandbank up the river, do a hike on Robberg - near Plettenberg bay, enjoy a walk at Garden of Eden and even Valley of the Ferns just before Knysna. Then in Wildernis, do the gravel road just after you crossed Swartvlei after Sedgefield and visit some great bird hides. The list is endless and you will have a great time, especially the great farmer's market Saturday mornings at Sedgefield -take enough money, be warned as you will like a lot of things to tast and buy.

As for travelling from Graaff Reinet, I am not sure which road you intend taking, but I love Mountain Zebra NP and just after Craddock, stop to buy some 'dagga' at a well known farmstall with nice filter coffee, roosterbrood and other lekker boere kossies.

I can go on and on to give you a lot more to do, but you will enjoy every minute of it - Enjoy.

You are welcome to pm me for more specific details as we visited most places over the past few years.

Post subject: Re: Storms river
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:12 am 

Hi Kaapsedraai,

:clap: :clap: Thank you so much for all the info, it is much more than I hoped for.
My excitement regarding the trip trippled :dance: :dance: , just a pity that I have to wait another month.
Yes we will be staying in the village so we will definitely visit Elvis and Marilyn's place.

Mountain Zebra is exactly what I had in mind based on the info I gathered on the forums. I know it is a bit of a loop to drive via Craddock but I just needed confirmation from a fellow mite :thumbs_up:

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 24 September 2014