Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Planning road trip Cape Town to Addo along Garden Route
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:26 pm 

Greetings-
I am planning a roadtrip from Cape Town Nov 7 to Addo, flying out of Port Elizabeth on Nov 18.
As points to visit along the way, we are considering Stellenbosch, Hermanus to see the whales, Bontebok National Park, Knysha?, then 3-4 days in Addo.
I welcome any advice on the places I have mentioned, other suggestions, and advice on affordable lodgings.
We want to stay at the national park rest camps or bushveld camps in Addo and Bontbok, but there is limited availability in Addo for these times.
Thank you!
Laurie

Post subject: Re: Planning road trip Cape Town to Addo along Garden Route
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
HI Laurie
Welcome to the forums.

These are my thoughts , but I'm sure others will have differing views.

The Whale season will mostly be over by the time you arrive, so maybe give Hermanus a miss (though you never know, we have seen them occasionally out of season!!)

Tsitsikamma is a wonderful park, with wild seas breaking on the rocks, and lovely nature walks, so maybe exchange that for Knysna. You will drive through Knysna anyway, on your way to PE so can stop and explore.

Bontebok and Addo...........good choices.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:07 pm 

Hi Laurie

I assume you will do the whole Cape Town thing and visit Table Mountain National Park while in the city?

Winelands are good to visit, very beautiful.

Have you thought about going to the southern most tip of Africa at Agulhas National Park ... perhaps do the drive along the coast, it is very pretty, certainly from CT to Hermanus drive along Clarence Drive (via Gordons Bay).

A night in Bontebok is also worthwhile.

I agree with Val, Storms River camp is a wonderful and central stop along the Garden Route. Nature's Valley is also lovely. And of course, Addo is a must :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
auriedickerson, welcome to the Forum :hands:

I agree with the suggestions Crested Val and DinkyBird shared. :thumbs_up:

Something also worth considering is that you might, just might, see some whales at Storms river mouth/Tsitsikamma. Dolphins are also relatively easy to spot here.

After spending some time exploring Table Mountain NP, Winelands and drives. gardens etc in Cape Town area, you might consider a quick visit to Bontebok NP on your way to Wildernis Ebb and Flow NP where you can stay 2 nights.

From here to Storms river NP/Tsitsikamma where you can visit Natures valley and do a Canopy Tour (if you like some action) high up through the forest at Tsitsikamma.

Then to Addo, but enter via the Matyholweni gate, then you can drive from the southern side right through to the
north to the Main camp.

We have stayed at these parks in June and I am busy preparing TR which will give you some idea what to expect. Check out the Tales section for more information Tales

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:46 am 

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice! We are going to include Tsitsikamma and cross our fingers to see whales at Storms River Mouth.
Question---my daughter who is studying at U of Cape Town for a semester needed to visit a travel clinic for vaccinations before travelling. Do I need to do that also for a 2-week trip?
Thanks-
Laurie

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:01 pm 

It would be advisable. There aren't any mandated vaccines for SA but some are recommended - typhoid, hep A and make sure your tetanus is up to date. And also Polio.