Post subject: Storms River Guards fired for stealing gate money
Unread postPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:52 am 

Storms River Guards fired for stealing gate money

Post subject: Re: Storms River Guards fired for stealing gate money
Unread postPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Well done SANPARKS for not tolerating fraudulent activities by employees.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Well done SANParks for firing the thieves. :thumbs_up:

I have a few questions;
1. Will they be prosecuted?
2. Can you get any of the money back?
3. The figure 'bandied about' is 1.3 million, which means 65000 visitors conservation fees. Over what period? ("So far this year, 139768 guests have visited the Storms River camp"). At say, 260,000 each it is almost worth a short jail sentence. :wall:
4. Have other camps/parks been investigated and the process tightened?

Unfortunately this is an emotional issue as Kruger cross-subsidises smaller parks, and this money could have been put to very good use.

But congratulations :clap: Let's hope going forward, it helps to pay the SANParks bills instead.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Glad they got caught and wow, that is alot of money (if the total is accurate) to turn up missing.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What I can gather from the article is that SANParks followed the correct procedures. After internal investigations they were found guilty and been dismissed. That is what every company would do. Charges were laid and it is now up to the police to investigate further and the offenders be prosecuted by a court of law.

Well done to SANParks following the correct protocol. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:15 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Gate Guards driving Land Rovers :shock: :shock: No wonder somebody became suspicious :doh:

Well done Sanparks :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This must have ocurred over a considerable time , how on earth does the accounting system allow R1,3 million to go missing before it is stopped ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think a forensic audit should be instituted at all parks. There are glaring loopholes in the use (abuse) of Wildcards (much as I love my Wildcard personly). I believe there should be a return to gate entry fees invoiced on a cash register if SANPARKS are serious about income generation to meet their budget requirements .

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My feelings are known on the mismanagement of the wildcard, so this comes as no surprise.

Incidently they tried again to link my card to my new number...whatever...from Satara reception on friday, but the number they dialled just ran and ran, I told them not to bother, this has supposedly been done when I was in Kgalagadi,Kruger etc.....just give me my exit permit please. :wall: :wall:

Post subject: Theft in Garden Route.
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

From the Cape Newspapers.

From the Cape Times:

SANParks guards probed for theft

May 23 2013 at 11:02am
John Harvey

Garden Route Media

KNYSNA: Allegations that four gate guards at the Tsitsikamma National Park have pocketed “a substantial amount” of the park’s takings are being investigated by SANParks.

Sources said for several months they had found it strange seeing the gatekeepers driving around in Land Rover Freelanders in their personal capacity. “That is quite an expensive vehicle to own on the salary of a gate guard,” a park source said.

Reynold Thakhuli, SANParks general manager: media events and stakeholder relations, said:

“We can confirm some transactions that could not be accounted for. The matter is sub judice as internal processes are under way. As soon as more information is available we will make a statement.”

According to sources close to the park the money unaccounted for in the past year could total up to R1 million.

“These four – three men and a woman – had kept the money paid by every third or fourth visitor. Amounts vary but it is a substantial amount and we have even heard a figure of R1.3m talked about,” one source alleged. “Incredibly they were keeping their own receipt book and were eventually caught when someone discovered it lying around.”

However, Garden Route National Park manager spokesman Nandi Mgwadlamba said the figures mentioned by the sources were incorrect, although the correct amounts could not be disclosed.

According to SANParks tarriffs for 2012/2013, entrance to the Tsitsikamma National Park is R34 an adult and R17 a child for South African citizens, and R68 an adult and R34 a child for Southern African Development Community nationals with a passport.

There is a standard conservation fee of R120 an adult and R60 a child per day.

In the Garden Route National Park, of which the Tsitsikamma National Park forms a part, the total number of visitors to forestry facilities amounted to 12 860 paying visitors and 2 230 non-paying.

Forestry attractions include the tree top, tubing, woodcutters, horse riding, guided hikes and the woodpeckers trail.

Thus far in 2013, 139 768 guests have visited the Storms River camp. About 50 929 were overnight visitors. An additional 4 051 were visitors to the National Park, and 288 were day visitors. The Big Tree lured 48 742 visitors.

From the Herald:

Guards fired for stealing gate money
31 May 2013
John Harvey

FIVE gate guards at the Tsitsikamma National Park have been fired by SANParks after pocketing money paid by motorists at the Storms River Mouth resort's gate.

Although SANParks officials have not disclosed how much money was stolen, The Herald had been told by sources close to the park last week that it was a "substantial" amount, with a figure of R1.3-million being bandied about.

The sources had also seen the guilty guards driving around in Land Rover Freelanders in their personal capacity.

"That is quite an expensive vehicle to own on the salary of a gate guard," they said.

SANParks Garden Route National Park spokesman Nandi Mgwadlamba said yesterday: "Following an intensive investigation, SANParks has dismissed five gate officials in connection with their involvement in fraudulent activity.

"The investigation uncovered evidence which led to the five members being charged. Internal disciplinary procedures were then followed and five members of staff were found guilty of defrauding the organisation by pocketing gate entry fees at the Storms River Mouth resort's gate. One of the gate officials has subsequently appealed against his dismissal."

Mgwadlamba said park management had, as a result, initiated a number of precautionary measures to prevent a recurrence of such incidents in the future. Control permits granting access to the park had been tightened, while manual documentation was checked daily against the electronic system to ensure that any irregularities were spotted promptly.

"SANParks will act with resolve to bring any staff members involved in fraudulent activities to book. We owe it to the public and to ourselves that we should have a zero-tolerance approach when it comes to any form of theft or corruption."

In the Garden Route National Park, of which the Tsitsikamma National Park forms a part, the total number of visitors to forestry facilities amounted to 12860 paying visitors and 2230 non-paying visitors. Forestry attractions include tubing, woodcutters, horse-riding, guided hikes and a woodpeckers trail.

So far this year, 139768 guests have visited the Storms River camp. About 50929 were overnight visitors. An additional 4051 were visitors to the National Park, and 288 were day visitors. The Big Tree lured 48742 visitors.

It appears to me that honesty and integrity is becoming a rarity.

Well done in dismissing them, now have criminal charges been laid?

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
A new Land Rover Freelander costs (according to LR web site) R433500.

If I had only a quarter of the loot to spend.......

R1.3 million looks like it could be in that area.

Interestingly they kept a receipt book, probably so that none of them could cheat the others. That is the best evidence.

Like the pushy woman that bought a house off us recently refused to pay occupational rent, but when we went to say 'goodbye' for the last time, we found alterations already done, and a diary of events. The lawyer said there was only one outcome when he saw the pics I took. She must pay, and she did after trying to worm her way out of it.

There is no end to the gall of some people.