Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Current State of the Otter Trail - Oct/Nov 2013
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:58 pm 

Goood Day SANP forumites.

Was wonderig if anyone had any up to date info re the state of the Otter Trail after the flooding in the recent flooding in the Eastern Cape. Also, for how many days/weeks after very heavy rains are the river crossings impassable? Am considering using some last minute openings in November, but am concerned that Elandsbos, Lottering and of course Bloukrans may be in flood.

We'll have no problem taking the Bloukrans escape route if neeed, but of course this is only one of the crossings. Out of interest: How reliable is this service, and also, incedently, do hikers have to pay extra for it?

Any hints on who to contact about cancelations? As things stand now our small group will be short one slot and he will have to start the hike a day befoe the other two. But I understand that cancelations/no-shows are quite common. Does anyone think the park rangers will allow one person to simply remain at the second overnight hut, waiting for the other two, if it appears there was a no-show a day after he sarted?

Lastly: Anybody have a reliable web resourse for high/low tides along this stretch of coast? The closest I can find online is Mossel Bay, which really isn't that close.

Many thanks for any information.

Post subject: Re: Current State of the Otter Trail - Oct/Nov 2013
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wild Wl,

Try this link below. You can try out Jeffreys bay and Plett to get estimate for Otter. It will not be much out.

http://www.kwathabeng.co.za/travel/sout ... -Bay-tides

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:06 pm 

Ah, that site is more useful than the one I was looking at since it includes moon phases and Spring Tide data.
My understanding is that Spring Tide has the highest high tide and the lowest low tide, so if you time your crossing right that should be the best day/time.

Thanks for the link SG.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:42 am 

Doing the Otter in January. Does anybody know what the current state is regarding the bloukrans crossing ?

Will you have to swim even if its low tide, could you wade through at low tide, what depth etc etc.

So as well for Blombos ........

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:00 pm 

Hallo Jan-Dup,
We have done it end May 12 - I know not recently.
The Bloukrantz crossing was extremely easy - virtually "dry-foot" so to speak - mainly because (very important):
We timed our walk to reach the crossing at least 45 minutes before low tide - we left ourselves 5 hrs 30 mins to get there - we are rather slow walkers to take in everything, otherwise we'll have to "run" - not nice!- we got there in 5 hrs 20 mins.
Blombos?? (not aware of a Blombos on the Otter) - do you actually mean Elandsbos? - not a difficult crossing at all - just make sure you pick up the trail after the "crossing" at the right place - it is (as you reach the Elandsbos) to the extreme right on the opposite bank from you entered the Elandsbos.
The Lottering crossing this time around was more difficult (although also easy) than the Bloukrantz because of the tide.
Enjoy enjoy enjoy.
Andrè W
PS: To see how dry it really was, check the following link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34849572@N02/7544553072/in/set-72157627440189722

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:56 pm 

Thanks Andre,

Yes it is indeed the Elandsbos that I referred to as Blombos :slap: - must be the festive season that mixed my brains :wall:

Yes indeed we will make sure to be at the Bloukrantz before low tide. I had a booking on the 24th and then the Bloukrantz crossing (low tide) on day four would have been at 10 am. I got lucky and there was a cancellation for the 29th and that shifts the crossing (low tide) to about 1pm on day four - Spot on as we also like to be on the slow side to really enjoy the route and scenery - so needless to say I - changed the booking to the 29th.

Can't wait !!!!