Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:05 pm 

Welcome to the forum Elmar! I have not stayed in either, but at one time did look at booking them for myself. Have you seen the map? The oceanettes have a fabulous view of the sea I believe - but then the family cottages are built 'stand alone'. I am not sure what sort of view one gets from them.

I am sure that soon someone who has stayed there will assist you with some answers here :D

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have stayed in the Oceanettes 3 times in the last 2 years and will hopefully return soon. The large Oceanettes are the two at the end of the complex and both have outside patios with a braai. Both have splendid views, but the one closest to the start of the Otter trail is without doubt the best accommodation in the park! (Oceannette No N - phone the park after you have booked and twist their arm to ensure that you get N and not G).
It is far left on this photo
The view from your lounge will look like this:
We watched the dolphins for more than 2 hours from our balcony (next to N). The last photo was taken from this balcony.

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:09 pm 

Thanks for the info! So there are only two large Oceanettes, I gather.

I was there about a week ago with some friends, we stayed in separate units. I was looking at the accommodation options for a group of say 3/4, but staying in one unit. The family cottages looked nice, especially nr 10. Couldn't really rate the Oceanettes as didn't want to interfere with the people staying there. How is the privacy at the Oceanettes? So N is on the ground floor?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Elmar
Have a look on the site for Tsitsikama and you will see the Oceanettes and can actually see the unit numbers.
Yes G is on the ground level closest to the river mouth and at that point the building is single story. Unit N on the far end is actually on two levels - the lounge on the middle level compared to the other units and the bedrooms on the same level as the lower units, but because of the ground level changing, both is on ground level. Does that make sense? If you look at the photo it becomes clearer. We have never had any problems with privacy, even being between two units. The larger ones have even more privacy. Unit N is also single story.
Only these two are large Oceanettes.

Post subject: Re: Storms River: INFO
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:41 pm 

The two large oceannettes now have different booking codes, namely FN4 and FNZ4. FNZ4 is adapted for disabled visitors. Which one of these will be unit N?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unit N, will be the old N, because the old N is on two levels and cannot be adapted for disabled persons. The old G is therefore for disabled persons, as it is on ons level and the entrance don't have any steps either.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:18 pm 

Having read the rest of this topic I am more confused than when I started. We are planning to stay in the park for 2 nights end May. I like the price of the Forest Huts but they are under renovation? And they look maybe a bit too basic?
Then I thought of the oceanettes. Now we live on a farm and aren't used to living in a "complex" sort of situation. (Don't tease me about that please :redface: ) But they are the next best price and have wonderful views and great writeups. Any comments - would we feel hemmed in? We wouldn't be getting one of the large ones.
Of course the chalets (pushing the budget a bit) look lovely.
Please could I have some forumites valuable comments.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tracylee, we stayed in the oceanettes quite a few years ago, but truth be told, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! We were fortunate to have dolphin swim past every day and loved the idea that every evening, whilst at the braai, we got to look at such a fantastic spectacle. The oceanettes are not what I would consider luxury accommodation (based on our past experience) but nevertheless, they are quite comfortable. The other thing to remember is that you do not go to a National Park to spend your time indoors! Trust me, You will love Storms River and there is really such a lot to do! You will only feel "hemmed in" if you allow yourself to! There is so much exploration to be done both within and out of the Park that I am sure you guys will have a great time!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:40 am 

Thank you Munchkin
Yes it is such a beautiful area- We have driven around there but never stayed. It is wonderful to watch the sea when you wake up. Apart from just enjoying nature and walks we are keen on trying out that treetop thing.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In my opinion is that the oceanettes are similar to a small holiday flat , the hemmed in feeling is there ...
Good views from the oceanettes , but rather try a chalet if the budget allows .
Surely the forest cabins will have been renovated by then ?
Why not phone the park directly , or perhaps someone has been there lately or has info ... ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: After reading ndloti's responses, I must just add that we were on the ground floor, so the probable reason for us not feeling "hemmed in" was the fact that we were able to walk out of our room and onto the grass etc. We were'nt limited to a balcony to enjoy our views and braai!
Very happy for you and :mrgreen: Tracylee that you are going to Storms River. I just know that you will enjoy your stay!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:33 pm 

A lot of accomodations have been booked on the date i want to stay at storms rivers. One of the accomodations that can be booked is Chalet 2bd S-d. Could someone tell me if this is a good chalet (in terms of view as well) and which number it is on the parks map. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Toppertje

Welcome to the forum, and boy (or is it girl?) you are going to love Stormsriver Mouth! I believe this to be the most beautiful place on earth.

You can phone Stormsriver and ask them wich unit on the map they have booked for you. Their number 042 281 1607 (from SA) office hours.

I believe the s-d units, which stand for semi-detached are units 1 to 7 at the eastern end of the park, near the restaurant and river mouth. They are right on the sea and we are going to stay there in May. I believe you will be more than happy with your choice. The only negative bit is that it is close to the "public" parking, but that is mainly used during the day, when you will be on the rocks, beach or one of the beautifull trails. I hope you are staying at least 2 nights. Try to do the river mouth trail and boat ride and the Loerie trail.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And spend a few hours at the waterfall en route to Ngubu hut on the Otter trail .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.