SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wilderness suggestions
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am going to be taking my daughter back to Rhodes early Feb. I thought of going the scenic route and spening 4 nights exploring the garden route Parks. One of my twins will accompany me, so there will be three of us on board.

I have never been to that area as an adult and am not aware of attractions and accomadation. From the experts, what would you suggest?

Post subject: Re: Wilderness suggestions
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:05 pm 

I am not sure of your route but having recently been in the area, I would suggest the following.

If you are going to start from the Port Elizabeth end, my first stop would be Storms River. I would spend 2 nights and a full 2 days there. 3 nights is preferable.

If you are camping, then Campsite 112 is the best in my opinion. It is at the very end of the campsite and has both electricity and a spectacular view. It is not advertised as such.

The sites in this area are serviced by an outside cold water bush shower and indoor toilets. The large ablution block and kitchen is quite a distance away but not excessively so.

There are luxury cabins and Chalets as well as value for money Forest Cabins which I have stayed in.

During my stay I took the Sanparks boat ride up the gorge. I might add it was very reasonably priced and about as exciting as I am capable of handling. You can do the Bloukrans Bungee jump if heart stopping excitement is what you are after.

There are many walks in the area and the three suspension bridges over the Stroms River mouth is a must. I have not done any snorkeling here but there are many pools if you have the time.

A visit to Natures Valley is always thrilling especially travelling the “Grootrivier Pass”. This road is not open from the Western access or it was not in August.

I spent three nights at Storms River and wish it had been a week.

If you leave Storms early in the morning you can pop in at Knysna. You may have time to do a boat trip on the lagoon or a car ride to the Heads. IMHO a morning is sufficient time to spend in Knysna.

A little further down the road is Ebb and Flow - Wilderness. An afternoon and one night will just give you a hint of all the possible activities in the area. Definitely worth a longer visit. I stayed in the budget rondavels, which is not conducive to a longer stay. There are beautiful log cabins and a very clean campsite.

Do go back to Rhodes via Route 62. This is an adventure in its own right.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My adventurous suggestions:
Salt River Cove (hike) above Nature's Valley
Start of the Otter Trail (hike) from Storms River Mouth
Kloofing with Eden Adventures from Ebb & Flow (very adventurous)
Canoeing from Ebb & Flow was also fun, but can be a bit of a mission.
The hikes around Ebb & Flow are also well worth it

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 pm 

If you're in the Wilderness section of GRNP, I'd suggest doing the Giant Kingfisher Trail at the northern end of the Ebb & Flow campsite, which has a lovely waterfall at the end, and visiting the bird hides along the lakes. I particularly like the one at Rondevlei which is great for waterbirds and (usually) fish eagle. Outside the park itself, don't miss a visit to the Wild Oats market at Sedgefield on Saturday mornings. It's legendary!